Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband, anyone care to comment?

• 04-03-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭

I'm advising a friend of mine in Ranelagh who wants to move off Eircom BB, he wants to keep his landline so for the moment can't go to UPC as they don't yet offer voice in his street. He is looking at UTV but when I search this forum for 'UTV' or 'u.tv' there are zero hits which I find suprising.

Anyone in Dublin care to comment on the BB service offered by UTV using the landline from the local exchange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 exterminator447

I have UTV Phone and broadband for the last 5yrs and never had any problem with them, no downtime either for the broadband. I am on the 8Mb NGB on the dunlaoghaire exchange brilliant service can't say anything bad about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Why can't he keep the phone line and have phone with eircom but have broadband with upc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dermo wrote: »
    Why can't he keep the phone line and have phone with eircom but have broadband with upc?

Not really economic to do that, you need to get BB and voice from the same supplier if you're using the landline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

coylemj wrote: »
    Not really economic to do that, you need to get BB and voice from the same supplier if you're using the landline.

Not sure if I understand BUT, UPC don't use your landline. You could have phone with Eircom or whoever and Broadband from upc.

The cheapest I can see is 10Mb down and 1 up for 25 Euro. I THINK there is a small extra charge if you don't get TV from them.

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/ten/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 exterminator447

UTV 8Mb NGB and Line rental is €42.99 Per Month and you get free evening and weekend calls to UK, Northern Ireland and the Republic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

coylemj wrote: »
    when I search this forum for 'UTV' or 'u.tv' there are zero hits which I find suprising

I think this pretty much sums it up for you, as generally people only post here with problems!
    I'm with UPC now because of the prices and speeds that they now offer but I was with UTV for 6 or 7 years and could probably count the down times on one hand. I guess I'd recommend them above the others if you have to go with a landline supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I think the search only works for terms over 3 characters in length.

I've had UTV for 6+ years now, can't really complain compared to Eircom connections my friends have/had. I think the worst of it was a serious slowing down for a few weeks, changed my DNS provider to google's DNS and that solved it.

Advertisement