Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 quick questions

• 04-03-2011 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

We have a new born boy.

I've been told that Lidl or Aldi nappies are great, but that one is good for boys and the other girls. Any truth in this?

Any advice on which other brand of nappies, excluding the above? Huggies/Pampers etc.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

No idea about Aldi or Lidl.. I use Pampers Baby Dry and they're great.. My son has started sleeping through the night and when he gets his first change in the morning the nappy is always weighing a ton in wee yet the inner surface is still dry and his skin is grand (yes I know I sound like a nappy ad) but it's true.. I'm happy with that so I don't bother looking around for a cheaper alternative..

Do let us know if you find something ground breaking on the cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭amber2

Found the Lidl ones very good for my son used to use them until he got a very rash from the bleaching chemicals used, so only buy one pack to try them out. I didnt use them when he was a new born though as their skin is quite sensitive so i used pampers/huggies to begin with. Aldi have recently changed their nappies i tried them and they are very good too didn't find them any good for before.

Just on the huggies Te**o have offers on them value boxes for €9.00. Hope this helps Amber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Nordieboy wrote: »
    We have a new born boy.

I've been told that Lidl or Aldi nappies are great, but that one is good for boys and the other girls. Any truth in this?

Any advice on which other brand of nappies, excluding the above? Huggies/Pampers etc.

Many thanks.

I laugh so much at this question. Every newbe's worry.

My best advice is to try all nappies. Start with the cheapest. At first it wont matter but as the baby drinks more and moves around more some dont perform well.

For example i stick a heavier nappy on my 15 month old at night becuase he will wet at night but i stick a flexi thin one on during the day as he moves around a lot.

The brand i honestly find best at the moment is Tesco green

however I use them all when on offer,.

Aldi Lidl Pampers(The orange is not very active) and tesco.

I dont go for the lowest in the tesco brand simply because i am happy to pay the price for the green

The best pce of advice i can give on nappies is use a good cream like sudo cream

If the nappie is not absorbant the cream protects the bum.

Ironocally i worked for comfies ireland for years and the one thing i learnt that is never told is the more absorbant a nappie the greater the rash a child will get. Why because the glue in the nappie called SAP in the trade actually causes the rash as well as moisture however the cream protects fromt he moisture but will not protect from the SAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Boots also do their own brand of nappies, I bought them for my girl when she was younger and they didn't seem to be able to handle the loose stools, however now that she is older when I bought them again recently they seemed fine!

Worthwhile just to try them all and see what works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

hi, tried everything with my first 5 yrs ago, lots of leaks til i got the lidl ones...it wasn't a matter of price. Have used lidl nappies wiith all mine since, once they fit into them, they start at size 3, so you wouldn't be using them for a newborn. have used on boys and girls the same, think with nappies alot depends on the build of you child, so trial an error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

goosie2005 wrote: »
    hi, tried everything with my first 5 yrs ago, lots of leaks til i got the lidl ones...it wasn't a matter of price. Have used lidl nappies wiith all mine since, once they fit into them, they start at size 3, so you wouldn't be using them for a newborn. have used on boys and girls the same, think with nappies alot depends on the build of you child, so trial an error.

They actually do a size two now believe it or not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The only advice I have about nappies is wait for Tesco and Boots to have a special offer, then stock up.

Alternatively you could buy them on Amazon (that's what I do) but I get free shipping as I am on the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I don't know about any other brands but we have always used Pampers Baby Dry and have very rarely had any leaks and when we have, its usually been because of the nappy not being on quite right! (New mammy syndrome! :D)

I would usually stock up on nappies when they are on offer. My 'not so little' lady is in size 5's now and Tesco and Dunnes usually do great offers on the big boxes but usually only in the bigger sizes (4, 4+, 5, 6)

If you are worried about nappy rash there are a few things you can do to try and prevent it - Use cotton wool and water instead of baby wipes to try and reduce the chemical contact with your baba's botty, use vaseline to protect the skin (tesco own brand is lovely and spreads really well!) Change your baba's nappy more frequesntly, Increase your baby's fluid intake as more fluids will make the wee more dilute, try to avoid giveng fruit juices as they can be that little bit acidic. When babies are teething they produce an acidic agent to help the little teeth break through the gums and this is why babies are more prone to nappy rash at this time.

Oh the things us mammies and daddies have to think about eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nordieboy

I know I have a huge learning curve ahead of me and I thank you all for your advice.

In summary:
    Try all brands and types;
    See which ones best suit the child and activity;
    If on offer, buy by the pallet;
    Use a decent cream (especially if nappy very absorbant);
    Keep fingers crossed and hope for the best. :)

Seems good enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I know I have a huge learning curve ahead of me and I thank you all for your advice.

In summary:

Seems good enough to me.

I need to write that summary down somewhere...! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

just to say that lidl and aldi do not do newborn sizes AFAIK.
    my older 2 get a reaction to pampers and huggies and i used only cotton wool and water until recently on them as wipes also dry the skin out a lot.
    Boots castor oil and zinc cream i find is the best for keeping a bum healthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Again, just use them all. Don't be afraid to try some dif brands. I used to end up with Aldi til they changed, now atm it's Lidl. Tesco's were ok but then for a month it seemed to be poor quality. I opened one and the sticky part would break in my hand. It seemed to happen to a quarter of the nappies in the pack. I ended up changing to Lidl after the 3rd pack in a row. I use tesco every now n then.

I didn't fidn the Huggies or Pampers and use to him tbh but I would only use the Huggies wipes for him as the others caused some redness on his skin. Huggies wipes are fine with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In summary:

Seems good enough to me.

Not too much of the same size though, you don't want them growing out of them and trying to offload them onto someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We have settled on Pampers Baby Dry with our 8 (nearly 9) month old. We settled on them after trying all the others. We found Lidl/Aldi good but when he was younger it was hit and miss if they had the right size in stock. Huggies were a disaster for leaks so we changed to Pampers which are now the Nappy of choice. We wait for Tesco or Dunnes to have a special offer and stock up on them bigtime.

As everyone says try them all and see which one suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have tried every type so far (5 months). I have her in Boots size 3 at the mo. I have Tesco size 3 for the night because they're much bigger and a bit too big under her clothes in the day.m These are great as they are nearly over her belly button so you never get 'up the back' spillage.

I have lidl and aldi size 3 from a friend that are also a bit big for her, but she'll grow into them. I tried each and the seem the same as Tesco green.

I also tried the tesco purple pack, which work out the price as Pampers Baby dry! but are quite thin, but can still hold a big runny poo!

Last time they were on offer I got a Mega box of Acti-fit no 3. These are the rolls royce of nappies, they are sooooo thin, even when really wet after 12 hrs sleep. But the mega box only has 86 in it compared to 98 size 3 baby dry, so they are still17c per nappy on offer.

I tried Huggies, thought they were crap, esp the newborn ones, they were crinkly, I could still hear them when she was asleep.

So:
    1. Pampers Actifit
    2. Boots Green
    3 Tesco green
    4 Lidl
    5 Aldi
    6 Pampers baby dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

my advice would be before you go messing with cream lotions and potions, try out a brand of nappy and stick with just cotton wool and water. our daughter has yet to get a nappy rash!

our situation was we started with the huggies newborn with cotton wool and water, we then moved to the huggies natural fit (the other huggies were plastic these were cotton, which was better for their bums to breath)as the nappy size we had got too small for her,

we also around 10 months old (when she started walking/moving around more) we switched to wipes as they were quicker and easier to use on a wriggly toddler then cotton wool, by this stage her bum must have built a resistance because the chemicals never once effected her.

once we hit a size 5 in the huggies we noticed it became harder to get them in the size 5, and it was a pity because almost every pack we bought were on offer for €9. so we switched to pampers baby dry, and she has not had a single problem with them yet.

so my advice would be try the cotton wool and water before jumping into creams...etc and see how your child re-acts to each new thing before you change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I second the cotton wool and water, 5 months and no sore bottom. I have 2 tiny tubberwear boxes about the size of a large matchbox with water in 1 and cotton wool balls in the other, just as compact as a pack of wipes.

I bought 2 big bags of cotton wool balls in Tesco before she was born and I'm still only on the 2nd bag.

Advertisement