Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

media server not found?eircom zyxel router

Options
  • 04-03-2011 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone please help,my ps3 wont find my laptop with black eircom router,,,it seems to find it no prob with the netopia router(nat 3),,

Does anyone know how to solve this issue,,its drivin me nuts:mad:

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

what nat have you with the black router ? it wont work if your on nat1

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

I have NAT type 2,,ive tried everything,,on NAT typ3 with the netopia
    router it found my laptop no problem????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

stick with the netopia if you can,the zyxel is a piece of crap.I've had the zyxel for about a year now and haven't been able to get my xbox and my laptop to see each other,with any other router i've used its been a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I had a horrible time with Zyxel, whenever i tried to forward ports to get things to work nothing ever saved and caused my needless headaches. I just invested in a decent gaming router and havent looked back. If your into media streaming and wanting the best gaming experience then i would suggest getting a third party device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

steve_ wrote: »
    I had a horrible time with Zyxel, whenever i tried to forward ports to get things to work nothing ever saved and caused my needless headaches. I just invested in a decent gaming router and havent looked back. If your into media streaming and wanting the best gaming experience then i would suggest getting a third party device

Is it something that the Zyxel simply cannot do????its wreckin my F**kin head at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Did you ever get this sorted out? Have a Zyxel router myself and the PS3 is just not picking it up. Have used the media server before with a different router and it worked no problem but this is a pain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The old netopia isn't great but it's far better than the zyxel. I had nothing but bother with it using the PS3. Eircom support are clueless too. Stick with the netopia or buy something thats known to work with the PS3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Renn wrote: »
    Did you ever get this sorted out? Have a Zyxel router myself and the PS3 is just not picking it up. Have used the media server before with a different router and it worked no problem but this is a pain :(

You answered your own question.
    Get rid of the Zyxel and use the model you had before.
    You don't have to use the router supplied by your ISP, just one that is compatible.
    You may not get much help from your ISP if you change the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

Anyone has any solution? I have this same Zyxel router, just can't detect my ps3 on any of media sever. PS3 is NAT2.

So annoyed.

• Advertisement

Anyone has any solution? I have this same Zyxel router, just can't detect my ps3 on any of media sever. PS3 is NAT2.

So annoyed.

I will repeat my previous post - change the router to one that is compatible with your service, you do not have to use the router supplied by your ISP.

F1ngers wrote: »
    I will repeat my previous post - change the router to one that is compatible with your service, you do not have to use the router supplied by your ISP.

Saw your previous post. Don't think would be a good solution tho, more money will have to spent on a new router. but thanks again.

Saw your previous post. Don't think would be a good solution tho, more money will have to spent on a new router. but thanks again.

It's not just me who suggested it,

If it worked for steve, I've no doubt it will work for you.

Did you phone your ISP?

F1ngers wrote: »
    It's not just me who suggested it,

If it worked for steve, I've no doubt it will work for you.

Did you phone your ISP?

Nah, I normally got helps from Boards.ie So i tried here 1st.

Call ISP, I guess they will just put you on hold then tell you to order a new one from them. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

You should definitely get rid of the zyxel.Everything is so much easier with a decent router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Incoming silly question: What's a good router?

Also, why do you need to contact your ISP? Will changing the router cause any issues down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

Sorry for dragging this up but my router seems to have died (disconnects about twenty times a day) and I've had a good bit of lag on the PS3. I'm with eircom and have a Zyxel router. What's a good alternative and where can I pick one up?

The one I went with was a dlink dgl4500 but I reckon any wireless N router would suffice. Maybe ask for a replacement and see if they have a newer router to offer you

The one I went with was a dlink dgl4500 but I reckon any wireless N router would suffice. Maybe ask for a replacement and see if they have a newer router to offer you

Thanks steve. Router warranty is up unfortunately so I've been told that if I was to have one issued by eircom then I would be renewing my contract with eircom for another 12 months, not sure that's something I want to go for.

Maybe check adverts for a new router or go into pc world or curries. Just make sure you can port forward so if you get any issues you can rectify them yourself. Netgear or dlink would be the brands I would consider. Also it would need to be a modem/router if you want to take the eircom modem out of the equation altogether.

• Advertisement

Also it would need to be a modem/router if you want to take the eircom modem out of the equation altogether.

Need to be a modem/router?

Well you can buy a router to add onto you zyxel modem but you might still get issues. Or buy a router and modem in one so you can get rid of the eircom modem

Well the zyxel one is dead so it needs replacing anyway. Guessing the dlink dgl4500 is a router and modem in one? Where did you pick up yours?

The newer Zyxel router is being offered by eircom for what it's worth.

Advertisement