Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football predictions that were spectacular fails

• 04-03-2011 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Few off the top of my head.

1) Alan Hansen, Prediction: ''you will never win anything with kids'' (aimed at Man Utd following their 3–1 defeat to Aston Villa on the opening day of the 1995–96 Premier League season. After selling high profile players like Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis in the summer of 1995, United had introduced several youth team players including Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Nicky Butt and Gary Neville into the first team

Outcome: United win the league and cup double that season.

2) Phil McNulty(BBC journalist), Prediction Liverpool to win the league in 09/10 season.

Outcome: Pretty much as he predicted with Liverpool as champions give or take the odd seven places and 23 points.

3) Looking back at threads like this are good craic too.

I always find it interesting looking back at these, it goes to show how unpredictable a sport this is and why we all love it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Heh, Headshot on Ronaldo.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50706031&postcount=9

Jaoquin!:pac:

Sorry buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

flahavaj wrote: »

Sorry buddy.

Wow.I never knew that thread existed :eek:
    /strikes everything this forum has ever told me from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Few off the top of my head.

3) Looking back at threads like this are good craic too.

Lemlin comes out of that thread looking fairly bad now. Lol Pederson better than Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Lot's of gems from Pele.
    10) China 2002

Pele Prediction: China will qualify for the next round from their 2002 World Cup group.

Outcome: China finish bottom of Group C with no wins, no draws, no points, no goals, as well as -9 in their goal-difference column.

9) Spain 1998

Pele Prediction: Spain are favourites for the 1998 World Cup in France.

Outcome: Spain humiliatingly dumped out in the first round after losing to Nigeria, and drawing with Paraguay.

8) Colombia To Live American Dream

Pele Prediction:
    Colombia will win the 1994 World Cup in the USA.

Outcome:
    Colombia exit the competition in the first round, finishing bottom of their group. Their defender Andres Escobar is also tragically shot dead by an angry fan after Colombia return home.

7) Argentina, France & World Cup 2002

Pele Prediction:
    Argentina & France will both reach the final.

Outcome: Both countries eliminated in the first round, France without even scoring a goal.

6) Escape To Victory

Pele Prediction: During the famous film starring Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine, Allies star Pele is brutally fouled in the first half by the Nazi opponents. The injured Brazilian claims there is no way he can continue and is carried off. The Allies are 4-0 down, and a recovery is deemed impossible.

Outcome: Pele returns in the second half and inspires his team to an improbable comeback, even scoring a stunning bicycle kick. Even in fiction, Pele's predictions go wrong.

2220_hp.jpg

5) Ronaldo Is Finished

Pele Prediction: Ronaldo will never play football again, and his career is over, following a serious injury for Milan in February 2008.

Outcome: Ronaldo returns in March 2009 for Corinthians, scoring 10 goals in his first 14 games to win the Campeonato Paulista.

4) Nii Lamptey – ‘The New Pele’

Pele Prediction:
    After starring in the 1991 Under-17 World Cup, which also featured Alessandro Del Piero, Pele proclaims Ghana youngster Lamptey as his successor, ‘The New Pele’.

Outcome: What happens next goes down in football infamy. Lamptey spectacularly fails to fulfil his talent, believing himself that he was cursed by dark forces. The midfielder shifts around clubs such as PSV, Aston Villa, Coventry, Venezia and Ankaragucu, without success, and endures tragedy in his personal life, as two of his children die.

3) Nicky Barmby - Up There With Zidane, Maldini & Ronaldo

Pele Prediction: Nicky Barmby will become a world class star.

Outcome: Nicky Barmby becomes nothing more than an average player, winning 23 England caps, and never even appearing in a World Cup.

2) Africa Will Rule

Pele Prediction: An African nation will win the World Cup before the year 2000.

Outcome: It is now 2010, and an African country has still yet to get past the quarter-final.

1) Brazil & World Cup 2002

Pele Prediction:
    Brazil won’t even get past the group stages.

Outcome: Brazil win the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sorry buddy.

im not your buddy, pal.

The curse of being an oldie comes back to haunt me, I wish I was perfect like you flah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ghana wus robbed.

Dunphy made some show out of himself in 2005 when Liverpool won the Champions League, so did most of the RTE panel and Stephen Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sorry buddy.
    Headshot wrote: »
    im not your buddy, pal.

The curse of being an oldie comes back to haunt me, I wish I was perfect like you flah

Ah I'm sure we all have one or two gems that we can look back on...

Ah I'm sure we all have one or two gems that we can look back on...

na im not that sad to look:pac:

Headshot wrote: »
    na im not that sad to look:pac:

Jaoquin:p

next ill be looking back on gibson when i bad mouthed him and unknown to me he'll become the bestest utd player ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just my own

I used to bet on the football every Friday. Just a few lads from the office and we'd fill up the paddy power sheets and bet a few euro.

Who remembers Gretna?
    They went on ridiculous runs of consecutive wins, they were my first selection every week!

Eventually they qualified for Europe and played Derry.
    I told everyone to back Gretna, they were labeled the "Chelsea of the North" and they were a real up and coming powerhouse. Send an email to all the lads in the office to bank on Gretna.
    Throw a good bit of money on Gretna too

Derry beat them 5-1 I believe :o:o:o
    And I gave up betting soon afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mark Lawrenson every friday on bbc.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i said torres would be a disaster at liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Colin healy, Liam miller would be the next Roy keane!!!

Liam George would be one for the future.

Bohs would dominate Irish football for the foreseeable future with the 65 million from property developers!!!

Ireland to challenge in the rugby world cup 2007

E-England
    A-Algeria <sun headline
    S-Slovenia
    Y-Yanks

Shelbourne could reach champions league group stages within 5 years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

oh, i also said there was no way in hell spurs would finish in the CL places last year, and then this season that they'd get knocked out in the group stages with at most 2 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Helix wrote: »
    oh, i also said there was no way in hell spurs would finish in the CL places last year, and then this season that they'd get knocked out in the group stages with at most 2 points

Me too!

I was certain Liverpool would come 4th last season, right till the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Funny to see all these predictions go horribly wrong and opinions you'd look back at and have to scratch your head wondering what were these people thinking!
    I've no gaffes on here myself but a big one I had before was about Paul Scholes.I remember him having a bad match vs Fulham in the 08/09 season,yeah.1 bad match!I think he got sent off and also was at fault for Utd conceding.I was convinced his days were up.
    Still the best centre midfielder at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I got Samaras on the back of a City shirt thinking he was the new Ibrahimovic :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I placed a bet on Anderson winning world player of the year within 5 seasons of joining United. They must love the sight me every time I walk into the bookies since :(

Also thought Wigan would make a push for European places this season, spearheaded by goal machine Mauro Boselli.

Thought Benzema would tear the Spanish league apart having watched most of his games at Lyon. Still not giving up on that, I reckon he'll be considered the best striker in the world at some stage during his career ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

I predicted Van Der Vaart to be a flop at spurs:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

major bill wrote: »
    Colin healy, Liam miller would be the next Roy keane!!!

Liam George would be one for the future.

Bohs would dominate Irish football for the foreseeable future with the 65 million from property developers!!!

Ireland to challenge in the rugby world cup 2007

E-England
    A-Algeria <sun headline
    S-Slovenia
    Y-Yanks

Shelbourne could reach champions league group stages within 5 years!!!
    We nearly all that that for a while. ( a while being a very brief period of time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

MAN UTD will pass LFC in league titles ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I got Samaras on the back of a City shirt thinking he was the new Ibrahimovic :o

Well you can still find solice in the fact that Samaras has turned out to be what many people think Ibrahimovic is. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Also thought Wigan would make a push for European places this season, spearheaded by goal machine Mauro Boselli.

That was you???? *shakes fist*

You ruined the start of my fantasy football season because of that prediction!!

My own personal prediction was Defoe as top scorer this season. €50 on it. He's sitting pretty with 0 goals so far :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was not so much predication but still got bit by balls.

18timesf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

O'Leary's Leeds to rule for a decade :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

After winning the 1990 WorldCup and having in mind that through the reunification a host of quality players were added from the East-Germany squad to the new all German international squad Franz Beckenbauer predicted that Germany will be unbeatable for years to come...

Funny how we almost immediately entered a fifteen year period of woeful international football by our own standards. I mean we still managed to go deep in the odd tournament but just look at the awful football we played...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »

Ha, I've an Arsenal jersey with 'Vela - 12' on the back... :o
    Tom_Brady wrote: »

There seemed to be a lot of that going around before the season started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Are Man Utd and Ferguson done?

2004, 2006, 2009? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I once predicted that Arsene Wenger would sign a decent goalkeeper and centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Man I've been posting here a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ha, I've an Arsenal jersey with 'Vela - 12' on the back... :o

There seemed to be a lot of that going around before the season started.

man i thought Vela was going to be a top player, he was so good when he was on loan the last few seasons - i was genuinely worried Arsenal had uncovered a new world class player :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

major bill wrote: »
    Colin healy, Liam miller would be the next Roy keane!!!!!!

Or what about Ferguson stating that Eric Djemba-Djemba could be a replacement for Roy Keane! The same Eric whose career nosedived faster than a plane with no wings.

Just as a slightly off-topic aside, he apparently blew so much money that he was declared bankrupt a couple of years ago. Plays in Qatar now. earning less than 4k per week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-533530/Ten-4x4s-30-bank-accounts--Eric-lost-all.html
    But Sportsmail can reveal today that Djemba-Djemba also left England in a bid to rebuild a life shattered by financial wastefulness. His is a tale that should serve as a lesson to any young footballer suddenly finding himself with excess cash.

As his exasperated agent Christophe Mongay claims today, Djemba-Djemba was in such dire straits during his time as a £75,000-a-month footballer at Old Trafford that he relied solely on his appearance and win bonuses to get by.

With his client allegedly running a fleet of 10 4x4 vehicles and juggling cash between an astonishing 30 different bank accounts, Mongay paints a sorry tale of an African footballer drowning in a sea of unsustainable credit.
    Mongay said: "Eric is on a different planet. He simply has no notion of money. At one point, he had 30 different bank accounts. He was juggling between credits.

"There was a time when he owned 10 4x4-drive cars ? 10! I kept telling him all the time to watch out. When he arrived at Manchester United, I decided to take over the running of his accounts. It used to take me four hours a day. At United he was earning about £75,000 basic per month. But every penny was going straight to loan repayments. He was having to live on bonuses and extras. He started to ask United for advances and, at a club like that, something like that doesn't go down well."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

colly_06 wrote: »

Reading Finnparks comments on that, so true should have waited to see what happened insted of taking out a massive loan with zurich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Just my own

I used to bet on the football every Friday. Just a few lads from the office and we'd fill up the paddy power sheets and bet a few euro.

Who remembers Gretna?
    They went on ridiculous runs of consecutive wins, they were my first selection every week!

Eventually they qualified for Europe and played Derry.
    I told everyone to back Gretna, they were labeled the "Chelsea of the North" and they were a real up and coming powerhouse. Send an email to all the lads in the office to bank on Gretna.
    Throw a good bit of money on Gretna too

Derry beat them 5-1 I believe :o:o:o
    And I gave up betting soon afterwards

Myself and few people won a lot of money on that game, Derry were 20-1 at HT :eek: We kinda knew derry were good and gretna not very good.

Goals were feckin screamers tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd38tfYSoRY

Mine I met Ndo in Inchicore one year and he said he was coming back to pats :o he didn eventually just not then :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

I said Arsenal would win the treble for the last 5 seasons. This season I went for the quadruaple, didnt't happen:(

Advertisement