Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BPM Closing

Options
  • 04-03-2011 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

So first Pure closes and now apparently BPM is closing too. There'll be nothing left in this town in a couple of months :( I guess the writing was on the wall for music shops for a while now. They did well to survive this long. I guess with a lot of the twenty-somethings emigrating too that made a dent in their business.

Think that only leaves Golden Discs now and I can't imagine they're doing particularly well either although they would be better insulated against the recession by having an older customer base and catering to a more general market.

Anyway, sad to see the lads in BPM go. Remember going into them when they were KG discs (I think???) in the Broad Street Centre and then when they were in Michael Street. Hopefully their other stores in Wexford, New Ross and Mallow are doing better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Heard this earlier.Really sucks :(
    Looking through all my dvds/cds ive easily spent thousands in there over the last 12/13 years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Yeah me too. There was a period of 4-5 years where I bought at least 2 CD's in there every week. Went back to college 4 years back though so haven't had the money the last few years. Also i'm sure illegal downloading played a big part in their decision to close down (and I have to be honest and say I've done it too).

It's a shame they decided to get rid of their vinyl section a few years back. It was only 6 months later vinyl sale started to take off bigtime, and me and all my friends all started buying vinyl in large amounts. Just bad timing. I couldn't justify paying €20 for a CD when I could just download it, but I would have bought the record if they had the same large selection they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Big shame, buy stuff most weeks there. Golden discs is rubbish in terms of selection so effectively no place left to browse and buy non mainstream music. What a pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Think Golden Discs are good for stock, but not with their RIP off prices.
    New dvd's for 18 quid when their abt €10.00 in Tesco

Maybe we now have a better chance of getting a HMV somewhere in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Sad day for music in Waterford. BPM were literally the only place in the city where you could get alternative, non-chart music. They actually made the effort to have interesting stuff. Because of that I would always try and give them custom first, and encourage others to do the same. The importance of a small, indepenent music outlet in comparison to the likes of Golden Discs cannot be understated.

I suppose it was inevitable for the reasons outlined above. Such is life unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Thats sad to hear, have bought a few things in there over the years. Only Golden Discs left now in the city centre but they are so expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

cant say i bought many cds or anything outta there, but i did buy vinyl, they always got new singles in every friday and i'd always take a gander at what was there, then they started to expand into all the classic albums and got a good few of those.....pity nowhere that does new and limited vinyls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

For all the talk about illegal downloading, I'd say the changes in the music distribution industry are really the thing that's done in poor BPM. You hear of many more people clicking onto CDwow or the iTunes store than of people going into a record store unfortunately.

I'd imagine Golden Discs is just about ticking over selling Daniel O'Donnell boxsets to grannies and servicing the last-minute present market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

gone boy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Been so long since i bought a cd i'm guessing sinnotts is closed as well? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

TBH i call it the begining of the end of the industry. Like ya said fricatus I can't remember the last CD I bought it's all iTunes or "other means".

It's a real shame as it's always nice to see small independent places and the lads in there always seemed pretty sound.

IMHO as download speeds increase over the next few years up to stupid speeds going by Moore's law we will be up to like 100mg broadband before the next world cup. At that stage even box sets won't keep the likes of HMV afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

The New Ross shop is closed for about the last 1-2 months, was never anyone in it unfortunately.

Friend of mine's family own it, was surprised to see it here as I was only talking to him about a week and a half ago about the Ross shop closing and he said nothing about Waterford closing.

It really shows how the thing has gone, as he often told me Waterford was usually their busiest shop out of the four.

Sad to see it go, if I want to buy a decent, non-chart CD I'll have to go to the Wexford shop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

ziedth wrote: »
    TBH i call it the begining of the end of the industry. Like ya said fricatus I can't remember the last CD I bought it's all iTunes or "other means".

People have definitely moved to the digital way of listening music, there's the piracy issue, and there's the legitimate itunes downloads.

adjacent to that there's the revert to vinyl records which is on a much smaller scale granted, but record sales have seen a huge resurgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

People have definitely moved to the digital way of listening music, there's the piracy issue, and there's the legitimate itunes downloads.

adjacent to that there's the revert to vinyl records which is on a much smaller scale granted, but record sales have seen a huge resurgence.

i always thought records sounded better, record player isn't working atm tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's true though I really had to think but the last CD I bought (from BPM ironically) was Encore from Eminem and I burned it straight to my laptop and onto my mp3 player I doubt I even listened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Sad to see it go. It was great for us local original bands. They'd stock our CDs
    and we could do gigs outside BPM for publicity.

Things have changed in the music business forever with Itunes/free downloads and the resurgence of vinyl for real music lovers. There's a generation of people too who will never buy music or even understand the relevance of music as its been completely devalued.

I'm out of the scene for a while but any CD we released in the past,we broke even on it because we could sell it at BPM/Sinnotts and at gigs. Forget about it these days, every musician I know have garages fuill of original CDs that will never sell. Its funny, people will pay €50 on a round of shots in Harveys no problem but you cant get them to an original gig for a €5 AND you get a free CD. Strange times indeed.

Best of luck to all the lads in BPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

But I buy half my stuff from BPM. This isn't fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

another blow for music,:(

on a side note wheres ticketmaster going to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Tis sad news.

another great shop in town closed

Been so long since i bought a cd i'm guessing sinnotts is closed as well? :o

gone boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Surely they have to allow a HMV shop to open up in the near future now, it's embarassing for a city of Waterford's size to just have a crappy little Golden discs store as it's only main music/movie retailer. There is Rainbow Records aswell I suppose but selection in there can be hit and miss at best.

As long as downloading and buying online continues to be cheaper than purchasing online then there's no hope whatsoever for independent music stores like BPM. In years to come we'll be telling our grandchildren that we used to go into a shop to buy our music and they'll laugh their little holes off.:(

I used buy records in there a couple of years back, used probaly leave the bones of 30 a week in there bak in 04, den just one day they closed up the record section, so never bought anything in there again, talk about cutting their noses of despite their faces and they not catering for the niche markets in town

Was just in to check what the story is.
    Gonna be closed by wednesday. Having a 20% off closing down sale atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Boooourns

This is just sh!t news, this town sucks soooo much.

Was just in to check what the story is.
    Gonna be closed by wednesday. Having a 20% off closing down sale atm.
    Will be closed that fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Surely they have to allow a HMV shop to open up in the near future now, it's embarassing for a city of Waterford's size to just have a crappy little Golden discs store as it's only main music/movie retailer. There is Rainbow Records aswell I suppose but selection in there can be hit and miss at best.

As long as downloading and buying online continues to be cheaper than purchasing online then there's no hope whatsoever for independent music stores like BPM. In years to come we'll be telling our grandchildren that we used to go into a shop to buy our music and they'll laugh their little holes off.:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11956003 don't think they'll be opening here any time soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know I'm an old codger but I feel it when another record shoppe goes west. Must have been 5/6 at the peak.

Music and dvd stores are struggling the last while, looks like if we want to go a store we have to travel to Kilkenny, Cork or Dublin, which is not right.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Will be closed that fast?
    I said the same thing.
    Girl told its just what they were told, told me today was her last day n all.

• Advertisement

I said the same thing.
    Girl told its just what they were told, told me today was her last day n all.

Looks like the workers werent given much notice

Advertisement