Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website costs

Options
  • 04-03-2011 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

How much would i be looking at spending for a website made with wordpress, using magento for e-commerce and realex to handle payments? Site will also have a CMS and a catalog of stocked items. I wont be doing the work myself but got a quote and just looking for a second opinion. The guy i went to is very down to earth and has a good head on him when it comes to business too. Im not doubting his estimate at all id just like someone elses opinion as its a large investment for me. I wont say what the quote is just yet, looking to see what people suggest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

steve_ wrote: »
    How much would i be looking at spending for a website made with wordpress, using magento for e-commerce and realex to handle payments? Site will also have a CMS and a catalog of stocked items. I wont be doing the work myself but got a quote and just looking for a second opinion. The guy i went to is very down to earth and has a good head on him when it comes to business too. Im not doubting his estimate at all id just like someone elses opinion as its a large investment for me. I wont say what the quote is just yet, looking to see what people suggest

Impossible to say without knowing any details, but I'd guess anywhere between €3-5k for a professional job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Farm the job out to elance or odesk and see what drops there.

You'd need to be a good deal more specific about the job than you were in your post

IRE60 wrote: »
    Farm the job out to elance or odesk and see what drops there.

You'd need to be a good deal more specific about the job than you were in your post

Elance and Odesk are great options if you have a technical background and are able to draw up a detailed project plan with full specs and milestones etc. , if not the project could easily become a nightmare.

But yes, it's definitely a cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Im sure i wouldnt be technically proficient enough to use a service like this as i would know what to be asking for. What else would you need to know about the project? Ill tell as much as i can

No sure I get your point.

What you need to do is, line by line describe the project. what it does, what you require, what the punters have to do and what they expect. Do it in detail and then you should be able to submit it to any of those sites.

To be frank, you should do this anyway for clarity in your own mind and so that when you get a price its for that work. I also prevents the 'oh, did I tell you i wanted it to do X' - which is a pain in a neck for any developer.

A lot of the stuff you want is off the shelf. You can also go the Joomla/VirtueMart route as well so you should have a look at those options as well.

To be frank – you’re not looking for a whole lot. The CMS (W.P. or Joo) are free and the ecom is open source as well.
    But first things first – get a good spec together for your site

• Advertisement

I guess the point i was trying to make is 3-5k the average considering alot of the features are off the shelf? Or is it the fact that putting all this together is where the costs come from.

Steve_

I sent you a pm you might have a look at.

steve_ wrote: »
    I guess the point i was trying to make is 3-5k the average considering alot of the features are off the shelf? Or is it the fact that putting all this together is where the costs come from.

The cost would come from putting it all together and making it look like it's not off the shelf.

From what I can make out you're talking about using WordPress, Magento and a CMS and then adding a catalogue of products and sorting out Realex. That would be about 4 weeks work to do properly.

4 weeks - for off the shelf stuff? If the four weeks is more about data input - then the lads should do that themselves and save themselves a bunch of notes.

Is it possible to do this yourself considering the stuff is off the shelf or is there still allot of work involved in getting a decent site completed?

• Advertisement

4 weeks - for off the shelf stuff? If the four weeks is more about data input - then the lads should do that themselves and save themselves a bunch of notes.

Got told it would take about 3months for the site to be finished. I assume this is because of his other projects too

Sure, doing the data input themselves would save money.

My estimate allows one week for installation, customisation (of UI and functionality) and testing of the CMS, Magento and WordPress and sorting out Realex. I'm probably erring on the side of caution but in my experience it's better to over-estimate than under-estimate.

Without a proper design brief these figures are no better than guesses.

I agree, its better to overestimate - and I take your point.

But, I think that the developer that steve_ chatted to was doing his own over estimations at 3 large and 3 months!

Thanks for the advice guys. Im going to mull this all over and decide what to do. I guess im just a bit nervous about paying someone to put a site together using mostly off the shelf stuff. Maybe this is common practice i wouldnt know. Do many developers use things like realex and ecommerce packages frequently when designing sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Elance could give you a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JPFabo

Hi,

As i do not know the extent of your project, i will presume this a new business or an existing one with little or no web presence.

You can have a working and active online store setup within a few hours using a Facebook business page and www.owjo.com Both are free to use and you do not need any technical knowledge at all. OWJO (Irish company) allow you to setup a complete store, you can use your own payment gateway (i.e realex) or use their gateway which is also free to use, you only pay a small percentage of sales you make. They also provide instructions for setting your store up on your facebook page which only takes a couple of minutes. Your store could be live and selling within a few hours, most of the country are on facebook, so your customers are probably their too. A cheap and quick way to get your store online. I have setup a few facebook/OWJO stores up for clients and are proving very successful. Good Luck!!

JP

Advertisement