Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Animal Shelter anywhere in Ireland with public transport passing near-by?

• 04-03-2011 3:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Ok basically what the thread title says!

Looking for an animal shelter that has either small town buses or general big coaches driving past it or at least only a few minutes walk away from it once you would get off the bus. Or even if it's only a cheap taxi drive away from the town!

Planning on moving anywhere in this country(apart from Dublin can't afford to live there:eek:) to basically do volunteer work. (Hoping for some part time work too in whatever town I end up in like bar or whatever work if I'm lucky enough so will be living in the town more so than out in the country side!)

Just finding that alot have no actual shelter or premises as such and that nearly all small shelters,even some of the larger ones are all out in the middle of nowhere.
    The main problem with all of that is I haven't got a car and won't for a looooong time so relying on public transport. :(

So far the animal shelter just outside of Kildare town is looking promising I have got in contact with them just waiting to hear back.

Now of course I will be ringing up the majority of them all but just in case anyone here knows off-hand of any that is easy to get too, on buses from a town let me know please!
    Don't mind having to be stuck on the bus awhile to get to the place or even having to walk a wee bit after ya get off the bus :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Thanks to the person who PMed me. I checked those ones out but unfortunately they are not suitable due to their remote location. The other one doesn't have a premises and relies on fostering which I may not be allowed to do depending if I can find pet friendly accomodation wherever I move too. :(
    Sent you a PM back though about the one you work with! :)

I guess everyone else has cars to get to these places, damn! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Dogs Trust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

BengaLover wrote: »
    Dogs Trust?

Was going to suggest them myself. All of the buses from Ashbourne pass by there and i'm 90% sure there is a bus stop within walking distance.

Just wanted to add, that I think that is a great reason to choose somewhere to live. I do feel guilty regularly that I don't help out at a rescue but then I look at my lot and acknowledge that 3 out of 4 are rescued so I (and my dad) have helped a little :o

Was going to suggest them myself. All of the buses from Ashbourne pass by there and i'm 90% sure there is a bus stop within walking distance.

Just wanted to add, that I think that is a great reason to choose somewhere to live. I do feel guilty regularly that I don't help out at a rescue but then I look at my lot and acknowledge that 3 out of 4 are rescued so I (and my dad) have helped a little :o

Ahh no! Sure you have done brilliant just by taking in one rescue dog nevermind 3. That's awesome though and fair play to ya :D

I think alot of people think they have to like only give money to rescue shelters(which is of course what they need most) but alot of them look for other things such as old bedding/blankets/pillows you may be throwing out,collars or tinned dog+cat food. Or even office supplies like ink cartriges, envelopes, printer paper, stamps- loads of things like that.So folks could do that instead if they wanted or had handy at their house! :)

Living in the north would not be possibly for me though. Should have mentioned that!

Though saying that my friend has got info on 2 rescue places in Derry so will find out more about them. Could easily live in Letterkenny and travel up by bus. But will have to make sure they aint way on the outskirts of the city.

Still waiting on Kildare to get back to me must check see if they have replied.

After a year of doing this volunteering and if I really enjoy it (which hope I wiil!:D) I'm hoping to start an animal care course down the country.

So a shelter I could get good bit of volunteering with each week would be awesome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Just to Clarify, dogs trust isn't in the North. It's in Finglas on the North side of Dublin :D Unless you just meant north of Kildare which it is :P

I must look into local rescues (including them) and see what junk from my house my potentially help them, I certainly have enough of it :)

Edit, should add Ashbourne is in Meath just north again of Finglas.... I do hope you were referring to nt moving to the 6 counties as opposed to just north of where you currently are :D

• Advertisement

Just to Clarify, dogs trust isn't in the North. It's in Finglas on the North side of Dublin :D Unless you just meant north of Kildare which it is :P

I must look into local rescues (including them) and see what junk from my house my potentially help them, I certainly have enough of it :)

Edit, should add Ashbourne is in Meath just north again of Finglas.... I do hope you were referring to nt moving to the 6 counties as opposed to just north of where you currently are :D

Ohhh I thought you meant the one in County Down I think there's one there or maybe it's Armagh. :D
    But as I said in the first post I canny live in Dublin waaaaaaaaaay too expensive :-/ I've already searched about in various parts of the city.

Though my last search was few weeks ago.....I'm going to double check again now for prices of renting specifically in Finglas just to make damn sure!

Haven't a clue about certain areas in Dublin I'm a wee country girl :o:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    But as I said in the first post I canny live in Dublin waaaaaaaaaay too expensive :-/ I've already searched about in various parts of the city.

My rent in the suburbs was €55, it was a room in a shared house, just about half what my horses rent was :D

My rent in the suburbs was €55, it was a room in a shared house, just about half what my horses rent was :D

Yeah just went looking for places on daft.ie and there were even a few cheap places for one person. One in particular seemed too good to be true! Unfortunately I can't afford to move until end of summer.

Must have been looking in alot of the wrong expensive areas the last time I was searching. :o

I'll ring DogsTrust on Monday and see if they know what buses pass by them! :D

Advertisement