Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychics, fans and skeptics wanted!

Options
  • 04-03-2011 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone. I'm planning on doing a radio documentary for my final year college project in the next few weeks on the subject of psychics and other paranormal activity.
    I'm looking for people who believe they possess psychic abilities as well as people who firmly believe in the power of psychics. People who visit psychics and who've had different expierences with them (good and bad) as well as anyone who may have been skeptical but had their opinions changed.
    If you think you could help me out at all I'd be really grateful!
    If you're interested just leave a message/comment and I can provide more specific details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'd be interested in hearing more on this. http://www.paranormal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

louise_hob wrote: »
    I'm looking for people who believe they possess psychic abilities

You certainly came to the right place; half the people here think they have super powers and otherworldly ghost-busting abilities :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I have exceptional historical abilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm looking for people who believe they possess psychic abilities as well as people who firmly believe in the power of psychics. People who visit psychics and who've had different expierences with them (good and bad) as well as anyone who may have been skeptical but had their opinions changed.

So no plans for some sober balance by having on a skeptic who hasn't had their opinions changed?

Get onto the Irish Skeptics at contact@irishskeptics.org

Dave! wrote: »
    So no plans for some sober balance by having on a skeptic who hasn't had their opinions changed?

The least entertaining of the paranormal personalities. Put it this way, if The Power Rangers had a paranormal problem Zordon would almost never pick the skeptic ranger. To boring!

• Advertisement

Forever_Alone.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

GodlessM wrote: »
    You certainly came to the right place; half the people here think they have super powers and otherworldly ghost-busting abilities :rolleyes:

I can explain magnets. OMGWTFBBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

The point of the show is not to be skeptical but to be open-minded; kind of obvious. Not everything has to be about the great debate.

GodlessM wrote: »
    The point of the show is not to be skeptical but to be open-minded; kind of obvious. Not everything has to be about the great debate.

You're presenting a false dichotomy there... You can be open-minded while still retaining your skeptical faculties.

If the point of the show is pure entertainment, where everyone tells ghost stories, gets a shiver down their spine and re-enforces their beliefs, then work away. But if there's any kind of (even half-assed) attempt to get to the bottom of paranormal experiences, and determine whether they're due to the existance of another realm, ghosts, etc., or the result of cognitive tricks and missteps, misinterpretation/misrecollection, then it would be prudent to discuss false memories, pareidolia, sleep paralysis, and so on.

Anywho -- I've made my point, don't wanna wreck the OP's thread...

Anywho -- I've made my point, don't wanna wreck the OP's thread head...

fyp

• Advertisement

Too late, oops! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 louise_hob

It's not weighing up the believers vs the non-believers. It's more looking into the whole phenomenon etc of the psychic world. Also, I think it's probably easier to find a skeptic who's opinions haven't been changed. The reason I want to do my documentary on this is because I feel like I'm neutral on the subject, in other words, I don't really know what to make of it. So as well as delving into this subject I'll also probably come out with a firm opinion and belief (or else I'll be even more confused!)
    At the moment I'm just afraid people with psychic powers/who believe they posess them will refuse to talk with me or be interviewed 'cause I might portray them badly but that isn't the case. I'm not aiming to go and make people look ridiculous, I'm just really interested in the subject and the people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

At the moment I'm just afraid people with psychic powers/who believe they posess them will refuse to talk with me or be interviewed 'cause I might portray them badly but that isn't the case. I'm not aiming to go and make people look ridiculous, I'm just really interested in the subject and the people involved.
    this place used to be awash with psychics but theres not many left here now. i dont think it's about being portrayed badly louise. the ones that come on here tend to do it more as a hobby and really dont want the publicity. god be with the good oul days when there used to be daily readings ;). there's also a few out there that could do readings etc for a living but refuse to do it cause they're happy in the way they live their life. plus if i may be so bold and honest, your only posts are in this thread which would throw alot of pyschics off altogether. pyschics work in different ways. some are stronger at different things than others.i'd also add that theres a few that browse through here that wont reveal themselves either.

Which college is this for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It's not weighing up the believers vs the non-believers.

Why not?
    It's more looking into the whole phenomenon etc of the psychic world.

There is no such 'phenomenon'. There is a phenomenon of charlatans who prey on the gullible. But do you have the backbone to depict that reality?
    The reason I want to do my documentary on this is because I feel like I'm neutral on the subject, in other words, I don't really know what to make of it.

Are you similarly neutral about unicorns or pixies? What about the Norse Gods? Sorry to be hitting you with the hard questions here, but I have to echo the previous poster who said you're setting up a false dichotomy.
    There's a reason that science documentaries on TV don't give equal airtime to the Flat Earth Society as to mainstream advocates of a global planet. That's because they aren't presenting two equal sides of an undecided argument. It's clear that the Flat Earth Society are wrong just as it's clear that psychics are charlatans.
    At the moment I'm just afraid people with psychic powers/who believe they possess them will refuse to talk with me or be interviewed 'cause I might portray them badly but that isn't the case. I'm not aiming to go and make people look ridiculous, I'm just really interested in the subject and the people involved.

I'd have thought that they're more than able of making themselves look ridiculous all by themselves without assistance, especially if challenged to demonstrate their alleged 'powers'.
    In any case, your project sounds dangerously close to a rose-tinted apologia for all things BS, so count me (a self-confessed former tarot card reader charlatan) out of it unless you intend to be a bit more challenging in your approach.

Its a college project lads, come on cut the poster some slack.

T.B.H. i dont think the o.p. is going to get many volunteers if any at all. also she has to take into account that theres an awful lot more pretenders out there than there are actual psychics. this is where alot of people tend to get caught out. this isn't something you can learn from scratch like language in school. true psychics are born with their abilities, how they learn to use them is entirely up to themselves. but they are born with their abilites as i've already said.

DIT

Why not?

Because I don't want to, that's the plain and simple answer and not the direction of the proposed doc.

There is no such 'phenomenon'. There is a phenomenon of charlatans who prey on the gullible. But do you have the backbone to depict that reality?

Why is my backbone being called into question or consideration?! If that is what becomes clear while recording/investigating then ultimately that is what the doc will be about I imagine.

Are you similarly neutral about unicorns or pixies? What about the Norse Gods? Sorry to be hitting you with the hard questions here, but I have to echo the previous poster who said you're setting up a false dichotomy.
    There's a reason that science documentaries on TV don't give equal airtime to the Flat Earth Society as to mainstream advocates of a global planet. That's because they aren't presenting two equal sides of an undecided argument. It's clear that the Flat Earth Society are wrong just as it's clear that psychics are charlatans.

I'd have thought that they're more than able of making themselves look ridiculous all by themselves without assistance, especially if challenged to demonstrate their alleged 'powers'.
    In any case, your project sounds dangerously close to a rose-tinted apologia for all things BS, so count me (a self-confessed former tarot card reader charlatan) out of it unless you intend to be a bit more challenging in your approach.

There is no real argument in question. There does not need to be a solid hard hitting question answered. To reiterate it is a COLLEGE assignment. Also, it's not TV. I don't being so condescending is necessary either. I'm not saying psychics are liars, that's not my point.

I'm not entirely sure what you think I'm getting at by doing this project. It's more about why people go to psychics, exploring their faith in them etc but obviously I can't just witter on about those that go without including psychics themselves it's just a matter of whether people would be willing to be interviewed or if it was a futile effort.
    This isn't mean to be groundbreaking stuff. I just wanted a bit of help! It appears I may have to come up with an entirely different subject...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I don't think you should censor yourself so much.
    A documentary on the customers of psychics could be potentially fascinating, especially if it just featured them and not the spoofer charlatans themselves.
    Before and after interviews, comparing expectation with reality, follow ups down the line to establish that, yes indeed, none of it came true or was so vague as to be meaningless.
    Could be compelling.
    Best of luck with your assignment whatever you choose to do. However, it would be sad if you chose to give professional liars any credence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

It's clear that the Flat Earth Society are wrong just as it's clear that psychics are charlatans.
    A charlatan is some one who deliberately tries to con people and misdirect people but there is many mediums (who call themselves mediums) who honestly believe they can speak to spirit and have that ability. It doesn't mean they do, but it doesn't mean they are trying to con anyone. They could be right, could be wrong.

But this perception that all mediums aim to con people and are fraudsters is just wrong. Its the same with people who claim to have paranormal experiences and even some people who have their whole life turned up side down by it. Doesn't mean they are just lying and making it all up.

Welcome to the paranormal debate.

Every thread in this forum is turning into the same debate. Im reading the same arguements by the same posters in different threads and its getting pretty boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Riamfada wrote: »
    Every thread in this forum is turning into the same debate. Im reading the same arguements by the same posters in different threads and its getting pretty boring.
    True. I just disagree with the statement regarding mediums and putting them all into one big batch like that.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

<mod>Ok. This is NOT a debate about the reality or unreality of psychic ability. This is a specific request for a specific type of input. Anyone continuing to stray off topic or challenging the op will be banned. Either post to help the op with what they want or keep schtum. </mod>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

It's not weighing up the believers vs the non-believers. It's more looking into the whole phenomenon etc of the psychic world. Also, I think it's probably easier to find a skeptic who's opinions haven't been changed. The reason I want to do my documentary on this is because I feel like I'm neutral on the subject, in other words, I don't really know what to make of it. So as well as delving into this subject I'll also probably come out with a firm opinion and belief (or else I'll be even more confused!)

Most people who believe they have psychic powers shun attempts to be tested on them, for the obvious reason that if someone could demonstrate they have psychic powers, they would have no reason to make any claims on their own behalf, as they could just demonstrate their powers. Thats why its hard to find anyone claiming psychic powers willing to be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Hey I'm doing a similar thesis project, but for a print feature. If you're interested we could collaborate? I'm in final year journalism in DCU

Okay, so stemming from the replies on here as well as chats with other people i've decided to take a bit of a different direction, I'm just going to focus on people that have visited psychics. Different stories and experiences you may have had. I understand that some people are a bit iffy about being recorded but it's only going to be your voice, you don't even have to be named in the doc. I've been told a few stories by people that have been to psychics recently that, along with some other factors, have been really interesting and frankly, a bit mad (including a kid that sees ghosts). So if anyone has any stories that they'd be willing to share I'd be really grateful!
    Also, if it makes people feel a bit more comfortable about everything, I'm more than likely going to be visiting a psychic myself and including myself in the doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

In that case you should look for some born psychic ability person for theya re considered the best in the profession.

meryem wrote: »
    In that case you should look for some born psychic ability person for theya re considered the best in the profession.
    thats an interesting point meryem, i thought all real psychics would've been born with the ability.that was always my understanding anyway and still is. but it would now seem that you've opened a big debate on what is a real pyschic.reading into your post it would now appear that there are alot less true psychics out there than there actually are. i know there are alot of pretenders and those that jump on the band wagon to earn a quick buck also. T.B.H. i believe a true psychic will find louise and not the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

Please I don't want any debate over it. Simply ignore it if it hurts anyone here. It was general remark for the people who cannot easily workout the fine ones which can be found in trained people as well but needs some look up. For only few among them succeeds in becoming a proper psychic ability person to help the client have his questions addressed.

Advertisement