Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillary Clinton Calls Al Jazeera 'Real News,' Criticizes U.S. Media

• 04-03-2011 10:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hillary Clinton said on Wednesday that Al Jazeera is gaining more prominence in the U.S. because it offers "real news" -- something she said American media were falling far short of doing.
    Clinton was speaking before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and she said the U.S. is losing the "information war" in the world. One of the reasons she cited for this was the quality of channels like Al Jazeera.... You may not agree with it, but you feel like you're getting real news around the clock instead of a million commercials and, you know, arguments between talking heads and the kind of stuff that we do on our news which, you know, is not particularly informative to us, let alone foreigners

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/03/hillary-clinton-calls-al-_n_830890.html

So the US Secretary of State admits that US news outlets are failing to inform the public of the news without the spin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I can't imagine Fox News giving her any flak over this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The media went soft on her and her husband throughout the 90s.

She is one to talk now!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

The Media went soft on the clintons.

Really!

I could have swore the guy was nearly driven out of office by a big right wing media hate machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

daithimac wrote: »

Really!

I could have swore the guy was nearly driven out of office by a big right wing media hate machine.

In the main they went soft on him - then went soft on GWB - then Obama.

Nothing to do with left or right wing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

daithimac wrote: »

Really!

Clinton did get a relatively easy ride from the media, it was Kenneth Starr the prosecutor who investigated the Monica Lewinsky affair who conducted a witch-hunt, the reporting of this might have given the impression that the media were 'after' Clinton but I don't think so.

Of the mainstream media in the US, the only one that could be considered right-wing is Fox News, they are rabidly anti-Obama and they inject opinionated bile into everything they report, they can't even mention climate change without calling it 'so-called climate change'. I listen to some internet radio stations which feature Fox contributors like Glenn Beck and it is truly frightening that a section of the US population consider the rantings of people like him to be 'news' under the banner of 'Fair and Balanced' -NOT!

• Advertisement
Advertisement