Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick City photowalk- Sat, March 12th.

• 04-03-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

HI,

A citywalk through the streets and along the riverbanks of Limerick, passing by many landmarks of interest and will also include the very popular Milk Market.

When:
    Saturday, 12th of March, starting at 11:30am (maybe earlier if nobody has a long distance to travel)

Meeting up:
    Meet up in bar/cafe in the Limerick Strand Hotel (formerly Hilton Hotel) at 11:30am (subject to change). There’s free parking along O’Callaghan Strand.

Route:
    Walk to the Milk market via William St or Cruises St, where we’ll spend some time in the market.

Then down to the Huguenot cemetery off Michael St, over around the Hunt Museum and the Potato Market, down behind City Hall, up to the castle and the Bishop’s house, the Toll house. Next crossing Thomond bridge onto the Treaty Stone and St. Munchins church. Down along the river, if time suit we could have some luch at the Curragower Bar.

After lunch we’ll walk further out along the river to Barrington’s pier, up to Kilrush Church off Nth Cir Rd, then along Westfields and back to the cars.
    Lunch: Curragower Bar, Clancy Strand.

Finish point:
    back at the cars/Limerick Strand or Strand Hotel (if people want a refreshment).

If you have any lenses you’d like to try why not request it in the comments and someone might bring theirs along and let you ‘have a go’. (I’d love to try a mirrorless 4/3′s camera out).

Please note:
    Ireland are playing Wales at 5pm in the Six Nations just in case this changes anyone’s plans.
    Please metion what camera make you have and from where in the country you’re travelling from.
    Elalgallery Photograpy gallery in the Milk Market kindly said that anyone can leave their personal belongs in their gallery if you wish.

I have a
    thread here already about this and reqeusted for it's title to be changed to 'Limerick City photowalk- Sat, March 12th' but got no reply so I'm posting this instead just so people will be aware of it.

If anyone wants my mobile just PM me.

cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm still up for this, also I have started a thread over on the Limerick City forum to notify the locals of the walk.

I was thinking, if we had a rough idea of numbers we might be able to get the Stand hotel to give us permission to visit their rooftop balcony to take some panoramic photos of the city. Maybe we could book a luch and rooftop vist???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

phog wrote: »
    I'm still up for this, also I have started a thread over on the Limerick City forum to notify the locals of the walk.

I was thinking, if we had a rough idea of numbers we might be able to get the Stand hotel to give us permission to visit their rooftop balcony to take some panoramic photos of the city. Maybe we could book a luch and rooftop vist???

Hi,
    I contacted The Strand hotel and they said that there shouldn't be a problem with going up to the roof to take pictures. Just ask for the Duty Manager when we're there they said.

I don't have an accurate number as some people had problems registering with photowalk.ie.
    There's 4 people (including me) registered in Photowalk.ie, one or two who said they couldn't register.
    And I've e-mailed some photo clubs that are nearby (Tipp, Cork, Shannon, Galway etc) so might get a few from them.
    So I'd say 5 at the least and no idea how many above that it might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this as something's come up that I just can't put off. :(

I'll be OK for a walk round Limerick at a later date, if there's one organised. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

bringing another photog along as well.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Four presentations due next week for college will unfortunately rule me out of this.. I did one before through Limerick, through the Milk Market, the Peoples Park and down along the river and remember it was a good laugh and experience, with great opportunities for photographs.

Good luck to all involved and I'll keep an eye out for one during the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I registered (I think) on the site, but count me plus one in regardless.

Limerick City Photwalk – 12/3/11

Start at the Strand hotel. Outside the hotel on the corner of O’Callaghan Strand and the Ennis road is a memorial plague to the murdered Mayor’s O’Callaghan and Clancy (1921).

Sarsfield Bridge - The bridge was opened as Wellesley Bridge on 5 August 1835, following 11 years of construction, it was later renamed Sarsfield Bridge to commemorate Patrick Sarsfield, the Earl of Lucan, who is renowned in Limerick for his role in the Williamite War and the Treaty of Limerick.*

On the bridge is the 1916 memorial monument, behind the monument is Limerick rowing clubhouse and opposite the monument stands the Shannon rowing clubhouse.

Arthur’s Quay - The park was opened by President Mary Robinson in 1991, the Tourist Office is situated on the corner of the park.

Milk Market - Limerick Market Trustees was set up by an Act of the British Parliament, passed in 1852. *Recently the market was renovated and a cover was erected over the walled market, it was re-opened to the public in 2010.

Detours:

1. St John’s Cathedral (1861)
    2. St John’s Square
    3. The Citadel (1590) - The Citadel was the Irishtown's main fortification. The sally port of the original stronghold has been incorporated into the structure of St. John's hospital.
    Huguenot Graveyard. The Huguenot’s were involved in the Williamite War (1690), the graveyard is situated off Michael St.

Customs House (Hunt Museum) - The customs house was built in the late 1700’s, the Hunt Museum moved from UL to it’s current home in 1997.

Potato Market – the market was built in 1843 and was restored by Limerick Civic trust in the 80’s.

St. Mary’s Cathedral – The cathedral was founded in 1168 on the site of a palace donated by Donal Mor O'Brien, King of Munster. Experts believe that some of the palace are incorporated into the current structure. The most prominent is the West Door which tradition has it was the main entrance to the palace.

Detours:

1. Bourke House, the remains of a medieval fortified tower house build by Donal Mor O'Brien.
    2. Medieval Ruin with the city’s last known domestic fireplace.
    3. Exchange Wall, the exchange was build in 1673

City Hall – Formerly a city gaol, partially demolished and renovated by the City Council in the late 80’s. There’s a riverside walk along the promenade at the rear of city hall leading to King John’s Castle.

King John’s Castle – Built around 1210 by Prince John of England who later became King.

Detours:

1. The Bishops Palace as 17th century building now the home of Limerick Civic Trust.
    2. St. Munchin’s Church (1827)
    3. Villier’s Alms Houses – (1820’s)
    4. City Walls (1237) - *some of the best examples of the old walls of Limerick
    Toll House and Thomond Bridge. The toll house was built in 1840 and while there was some sort of bridge in existence since the late 1100’s the current bridge was constructed in 1840.

Treaty Stone – It was on this stone that the Treaty of Limerick was signed by the Irish and the Williamites on 3rd October 1691.

Curragower Falls - The falls are formed under the shadow of King’s John’s Castle when the river Shannon drops over a rock ledge at the right tide. It is very popular for kayaking and fishing.
    Strand Barracks – Originally built as a work house in 1774 which was later used by the British as their barracks before being handed over to the Free State Army. *During the civil war in 1922 the barracks was attacked and some bullet holes are still visible on the neighbouring houses.

River Walk & Westfields Wetlands – Walk along the by the river and nearby wetlands nature reserve.

1. Barringtons Pier – has long since stopped being a docking point for boats in Limerick.
    2. Wetlands – Nature reserve
    Kilrush Church - The church is a pre-Norman church. The first mention of this church is in 1201 but the huge building blocks and huge lintel stone betray its earlier and pre-Norman/pre- Romanesque origins. The west door has inclined jambs and a large lintel. The east window has an unusual circular head and splay arch. The stone window frame in the south wall dates from the 15th century. It was taken from the old Franciscan Abbey in St Mary's Lane. Robert Vere O'Brien erected this window in Kilrush church in 1900. This window is sometimes called the Quinlivan window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

dinneenp wrote: »
    Limerick City Photwalk – 12/3/11

Kilrush Church - The church is a pre-Norman church. The first mention of this church is in 1201 but the huge building blocks and huge lintel stone betray its earlier and pre-Norman/pre- Romanesque origins. The west door has inclined jambs and a large lintel. The east window has an unusual circular head and splay arch. The stone window frame in the south wall dates from the 15th century. It was taken from the old Franciscan Abbey in St Mary's Lane. Robert Vere O'Brien erected this window in Kilrush church in 1900. This window is sometimes called the Quinlivan window.

I was out photographing this church about a year ago and there is a man who lives in the last house on the top left (as you are looking at the church!) who has a round tower in his back garden....he maintains it has something to do with the church and operated as a lookout tower...anyway, it was fascinating to see and he kindly let me take photos. He said he was only too happy to let people see it, so if hes about it might be worth asking!

Anyway, hopefully I might see you guys around the Milk Market tomorrow as Im working in humberklogs gallery...so drop by and say hi:)

Good to get out and about today but the weather was poor :(, great to meet some fellow board members. My first baords meet, hopefully it wont be my last.

I uploaded some of my pics here, not very impressed whit what I shot but felt I should share anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Light wasn't great, nor was the weather but it was still fun!

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for turning up, to Patrick for planning the route and to Stephen from Photowalk.ie for helping promote it.

The highlight for me was the Milk Market, where I could have spent an hour or longer photographing. The place is bursting with life, characters and colour (and food, food, glorious food). Unfortunately we only had 20 mintues there but I still got some photos I was happy with there.

These are some faces from the walk, some of them were 'photowalkers' (is that a proper word?) , others locals.

I'll be uploading more photos over the course of this week
    5525192425_22ef9630d2.jpg

This woman had a stall in the Milk Market, a very colourful hat and a gorgeous smile:

5525187551_a076772ccc.jpg

Taken from our trip to the "cute" graveyard:

5525767484_f213dcc66e.jpg

5525767408_5b24867c53.jpg

The girls-

5525175185_8c16c3b3e5.jpg

Did I knock it over?

5525175131_927136f4eb.jpg

The butcher of the Milk Market

5525765786_3fd257d64f.jpg

Lunch:

5525765662_ba09054939.jpg

Thanks to everyone for turning up, to Patrick for planning the route and to Stephen from Photowalk.ie for helping promote it.

Thanks for organising it, we probably bit off more than we could chew, the market really deserved more time and we should have got there earlier.

I enjoyed the day.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chochi

ola,
    I'll try to post some comments on pictures I like ;-)

in mean time, my pictures are at photowalk

take care
    Petr

Some great photos, it's amazing the different photos being taken on the same walk.

Oh chochi, welcome to boards :)

Hot off the press.
    The second series of my photos here (Urban theme).

Hi guys, great to meet you all last week. I had a very good day and managed to get some use out of my camera at last! Here are some of the photos from the walk -

https://picasaweb.google.com/concussion32/LCPhotoWalk

My third set of photos from the Limerick photowalk:http://www.photoblog.ie/2011/03/17/limerick-photowalk-part-3/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jess 27

Hi guys,

Thanks for the day out, was brill to see Limerick in a different light. I've some pics up on the following if you fancy a nosy....

https://picasaweb.google.com/104086878655803307120/LimerickPhotowalk?authkey=Gv1sRgCLbb4e7yo_Pw1wE&feat=email#

Jess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Superb photos from the walk everyone

DSCF2145.JPG

I really like this one, the slight angle makes it feel very moody and imposing.

• Advertisement

Here’s little video of my photos that I made:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bantaman

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I've been crazy busy in work and it took me ages to remember my logon details!

Nice to meet all of you. Thanks again to @dineenp for organising the walk and @Phog for all of the interesting information on the day.

I will finally get around to posting some images from the walk over Easter here: denishogan.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

If there is ever another one, can I throw my name down?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    If there is ever another one, can I throw my name down?

Of course. I wouldn't mind being involved in organising another one for early July. Limerick again or how about somewhere else nearby- Athlone?

Here’s little video of my photos that I made:

I've updated this video; it's got a nice mellow song to go along with it...

Advertisement