Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Mooching

Options
  • 04-03-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

hey myself and my partner have a 7 week old boy who has been breastfeed 6 times a day and also having 2 formula bottles aswell ( were trying to take out breastfeeds and introduce more formula ) u might ask why ??? because my partner is wrecked...simple

our problem is , after every feed when we wind him and change his nappie he always mooches and lets out some loud crys like he has cramps , and is very hard to settle , last night he fed at 12.30 and wouldnt settle till 3.30 but by then he was due another feed at 4

any ideas very much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

After you change his nappy, wind him some more. It's possible there is more wind in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

At 7 weeks there's very few things that would stop him going straight back to sleep and it's either hunger or he's got a pain of some kind.

If he's defo getting plenty of grub then I'd agree with the above and see if there's more wind in there.

Mr Magners wrote: »
    At 7 weeks there's very few things that would stop him going straight back to sleep and it's either hunger or he's got a pain of some kind.

If he's defo getting plenty of grub then I'd agree with the above and see if there's more wind in there.

of course i know that , we would wind him for like 20 mins and wouldnt get anymore up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

of course i know that , we would wind him for like 20 mins and wouldnt get anymore up

Sorry I'm not questioning your knowledge or what you're doing/not doing with him but it's normal that people will suggest the most obvious things like more wind causing a problem with a query like this.

Is it possible at 7 weeks that he needs more grub?

• Advertisement

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Sorry I'm not questioning your knowledge or what you're doing/not doing with him but it's normal that people will suggest the most obvious things like more wind causing a problem with a query like this.

Is it possible at 7 weeks that he needs more grub?

well out of the 2 formula feeds he's taking 4oz on average and we feed him till he drops off or pushes the teeth out of his mouth

could he be lactose intolerant ???????? since its happening after breastfeed and formula ?

im not looking for medical advice , just ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

It could be a growth spurt? There's usually one at around the 6 week mark, babies can be fussier and need to feed more during growth spurts and they last around 3 days in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Maybe he's falling asleep before he's full? Would you think of trying to maybe keep him awake a little longer and see if he'll even take half an ounce more and he might settle for a little longer if hunger is the prob?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Have you considered a soother? I have a 8 day old and he is constantly looking for something to suck. He sucks his fingers and anything that comes close to his mouth. He feeds every 3 to 3.5 hrs and about an hr after he finishes his feed he gets distressed and 'mooches' but he does not really want more milk, just some comfort and gets upset when he gets milk. so soother helps him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

i breastfeed and topped up with formula and found at certain milestones my little man would be starving and keep looking to be fed

what i usually did was breast feed both breasts for about 10 minutes each after that if he was still looking to latch on then i'd give him a bottle

also i found that he never wanted a soother and even now at nearly 7mths hasnt taken to one so dont push it if he doesnt want it

when your winding him make sure to hang him over your leg and then change to over your shoulder I found this worked best as it wasnt burps he wanted to do but farts :) and he cant do them sitting on your leg getting his back rubbed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

It does sound like he has trapped wind, i have a six week old and before her feeds when i think she needs it, i give her infacol.. it helps with bringing up wind.. you can get it in any pharmacy and even Tesco's. It has helped my little one with bringing up wind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

4oz isn't a lot if you offer more does he take it?
    A bath after feed and before night time sleep might help because it relaxes them and help release trap wind.
    Feeding him during the night when he wakes for the feed rather then waking him for a feed might help your wife too.
    What sort of bottles and teets are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

First of all congrats on your bundle!!
    My first instinct was infacol, we started adding a drop here and there to our little guys bottles at the start and it worked a treat! Prevented it to!!
    And definitely try to introduce a soother if you aren't totally against it, sometimes its a huge comfort to the little ones!

Best of luck. Its a tough time

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Infacol, colief and dr. johns bottles

we give himn infacol before every feed , and using Dr Brownes bottles and he has a soother

in the past 2 or 3 days he seems to mooch alot less , i find the more he takes from a bottle the more he sleeps , he's been taking around 5 oz at the min so i'll watch it carefully now

cheers to all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

we give himn infacol before every feed , and using Dr Brownes bottles and he has a soother

in the past 2 or 3 days he seems to mooch alot less , i find the more he takes from a bottle the more he sleeps , he's been taking around 5 oz at the min so i'll watch it carefully now

cheers to all

I used to find baby gaviscon great. Also if he's drinking 5oz make him a 7oz bottle and maybe that little extra will do the trick.
    Another point try not to wake him to much during night feed, if he has not a dirty bum, dont change him in the middle of the night. It's called a "dream feed", you are getting up before him for his night feed and feed him while he;s still asleep.

Hope it help's, my boy had colic and it was so hard on him.

Update

we explained his symptoms to the Pharmacist and he said its classic Colic

so he gave us these drops called Colief , you put 4 drops in his feed 30 mins before you feed him and he's like a new baby :) , he's settled and not squirming like he was contantly before , so we give him infacol before his feed to help with wind , and 4 drops of colief in his feed and he's doing great now , he's still sleeping longer during the day than at night , thats a seperate issue we have to address :)

Advertisement