Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Old for This ****?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Interesting thread. Just made me think about my attitude to music.

I think people with a deep love of music never lose interest in it whatever genre it might be. People who decide to stop listening to something because it's unfashionable or they are afraid that other will think their tastes are juvenile obviously didn't really love the music in the first place. I've had friends like that, it was all about the image and the rebellion nothing to do with the actual music.

Are metal fans just a little bit more into their music than anybody else, that's hard to say. I don't have a scientific answer for that.

But from my own experience having listened to rock and metal for almost a quarter of a century :eek: I can say that I still love it as much if not even more than ever.

Getting older also allows you to listen to lots of stuff that are outside of your favourite genre. I listen to everything from classical, to blues and jazz now.

And after many years of being a civilian I now have a big mop of long hair again and a decent portion of my income is from some of the bands I have been listening to for 2 decades or more. I'm trying to instill the same love of music into my kids but I won't force them into any particular genre or style. That's their decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

far as i know we will tend to stick vehemently to our generation as a kid, what we actually lived through as a kid, whats current within that regardless of how crap it actually was or not we'll still be headstrong in it being the bestest most craziest, obviously the thrash was huge n other extreme metal music by the few distinct bands of that time, generally considered the same scene which had a blank canvas to surprise / shock back then, with the platform to do so when punk met metal it was like boom and it saw the introduction of the parental advisory labels n i'm not so sure that can happen again it wouldn't have the same impact and there's now a generic trap, also i couldn't possibly listen to all the imo boring black bands with the generic logo's n artwork depicting nordic battles of yore etc i'd sooner watch GG allin take a shít n throw it but if new waves of revivalists are only making thrash now well more power to them n their generation, albeit somewhat after the impact/fact. i don't just dick about with metal, or other non guitar based stuff for the sake of an education anymore, school's out now its white boy guitar music basically, old subgenres essentially, but ultimately some form of 'rock' as yer nan might say, may be some old synth based darkwave or that but has to be old and obscure else its no fun for me to discover since digging deep became a preoccupation

Crue.. that generation gap at the shows, you saw may have something to do with the fact not many of the groups after that thrash boom were particularly memorable?! particularly in the wake of the, old nu-metal scene of the late 90s, or whether they arrived 'after the war' or were too youth orientated to continue into adulthood or just didn't have much of a lifespan, which is a major issue today even a 10yr career is practically nothing after what we seen in the previous century, so many of those are still around and may even outlive groups not yet conceived, even still but what yer likely seeing is kids enjoying their immediate youth with the immediate groups of now. too many past gems from the musical underground in general for me to be occupied with the now anyhow, but i would say keep on crafting metal for new generations to latch onto as that's absolutely essential, i know that much..

****ing hell.. :o tl;dw?!

Im only 22 but ive always listened to metal as i had no real interest in music till i heard metal. I still feel the same now as i did then but i listen to a wider range by now. The odd person i meet will say oh you listen to metal "ggrrrrraaawwwwwa****jesus" and expect me to say "yes thats metal":rolleyes:.
    Most of my mates listened to it too but have totally abandoned their musical metal roots and listen to nothing but 2pac and m&m! I think thats such a shame and its like im the one who didnt grow up out of this bunch.

But i have to admit there is nothing better than full volume in the car or house scaring the crap out of neighbours and other motorists:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Luckily I find that as I get older all the newer bands aren't as good as the ones I know. So I don't feel like I'm missing anything!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Mr.Kilmister summed it up in one of his quotes:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The odd person i meet will say oh you listen to metal "ggrrrrraaawwwwwa****jesus" and expect me to say "yes thats metal":rolleyes:.
    Lucky you. People keep asking me if I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Kings Of Leon.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Funny enough, even though it's not a new band, I do like the stuff Duff McKagan is doing solo and I love Nikki Sixx's solo band

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I first got into metal way back in 1990 and 1991 with fantastic albums like 'Angel Dust, Caught Somewhere in Time, Piece of Mind, The Number of The Beast, Appetite for Destruction and the Black Album by Metallica. I'm 33 now, and since then I've discovered a lot of other metal like black metal, goth metal and melodic death metal. I could never get into most death metal funny enough. I tend to find black metal much more interesting and more impressive in terms of arrangements, riffs, melodies etc. These days I mainly listen to bands like Moonspell, Paradise Lost, Emperor, Old Man's Child, Nokturnal Mortum, Bathory, Venom, Amorphis, Tiamat, Agalloch, Amon Amarth, Darkthrone, Immortal, Dark Tranquility as well as classic rock\metal like Scorpions, Saxon, Hawkwind, Black Sabbath and a lot of old school goth rock as well. I'll still be listening to metal for a very very long time to come.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,006 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Malice wrote: »
    I don't know if that's true to be honest. I guess it's impossible to know that you're getting refused from a job because of your hair due to the lawsuit that would result :)
    I've had longish hair for the last 6 years and I've never had much trouble getting a job (I'm a software developer). Mind you, I did have to take a job in Tralee for a while...

I haven't had a haircut in about 10-11 years and at no point have I felt the need to cut it off to get a job. I currently work in software licensing and it's never been an issue. Bit of a myth to be honest. I think if you come across as genuine, respectable and capable of doing the job in your interview then they really couldn't care about the length of your hair.

I do tend to trim my beard the night before though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

o1s1n wrote: »
    I haven't had a haircut in about 10-11 years and at no point have I felt the need to cut it off to get a job. I currently work in software licensing and it's never been an issue. Bit of a myth to be honest. I think if you come across as genuine, respectable and capable of doing the job in your interview then they really couldn't care about the length of your hair.

I do tend to trim my beard the night before though! :D
    Employers shouldn't care about hair length any more than they should care about facial piercings, tattoos, sexual orientation or skin colour. Sadly some people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'm 33 and still love metal as much as I did when I was first into it age 14/15. I did listen to more thrash when I was younger, whereas now I'm more into prog, but still love Testament, Anthrax, Megadeth et al.
    My first year of big gigs was 93 with Feile, RATM, Therapy & Ice T. This year I'm going to COB/Ensiferum, Rush, Alice Cooper/Def Leppard (won free tickets), Journey/Foreigner with my mam and also hoping to get to High Voltage Festival in London.
    I was best friends with a girl all through secondary school who had all the albums, t-shirts, skinny jeans etc. and then as soon as she left school turned her back on metal. But I kinda knew it'd happen - she was more into the image than the actual music.
    Other than that pretty much all of the mates I've had over the years are still big into their music be it death, thrash, black, prog or whatever. We still go to gigs, drink in bruxelles, the foggy etc. and go to festivals regularly. Can't see my musical taste ever going away from metal, it just might shift styles slightly. My mam probably has a lot to answer for though, as she probably goes to more rock gigs than me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Age is just a number.. nothing else.. it shouldn't dictate what music you listen too. Im 33 and work in an office, got my first Metallica album in 1986 and have been an all out rocker since then.. we even have Metal Monday in the office now where all we play is metal for the day on the "Media PC" haha.. the lads i work with arent even into metal but they now know a hell of a lot of Metallica, AC/DC, Opeth etc.. even managed to squeeze in a bit of Arch Enemy and Korpiklani too on occasion!! :-)

Rock on!! "age-smage!! i say!"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I was best friends with a girl all through secondary school who had all the albums, t-shirts, skinny jeans etc. and then as soon as she left school turned her back on metal. But I kinda knew it'd happen - she was more into the image than the actual music.
    Did you get her albums? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Employers shouldn't care about hair length any more than they should care about facial piercings, tattoos, sexual orientation or skin colour. Sadly some people do.

Defense forces, Engineering, Mechanics, fitters etc will all have issues with having long hair, although more of a H&S concern than a appearance one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

kbannon wrote: »
    Did you get her albums? :D

haha, no kinda lost touch with her after that. They were mostly cassettes anyway. She gave me her biker jacket though - loved it, even though it was huge on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Oral Slang wrote: »
    She gave me her biker jacket though - loved it, even though it was huge on me.

Oh cool, you got a biker jacket. All she gave me was crabs...

kona wrote: »
    Defense forces, Engineering, Mechanics, fitters etc will all have issues with having long hair, although more of a H&S concern than a appearance one!
    Do only short-haired women get employed in the army or as engineers? Of course not! So if a long-haired bloke ties his hair back there shouldn't be a problem but as difficult as it would be to prove it, there probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Do only short-haired women get employed in the army or as engineers? Of course not! So if a long-haired bloke ties his hair back there shouldn't be a problem but as difficult as it would be to prove it, there probably is.

Pretty sure that male Defense force members have to get their hair shaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

32 yrs old here and listening to Seasons In The Abyss at the moment. I love metal and i probably always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

32 here and dying to pass on the music to my 8 month old daughter. My 42 year old brother recently discovered Death and Children of Bodom. You're never too old

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bad2dabone wrote: »
    32 here and dying to pass on the music to my 8 month old daughter.
    My two young kids often ask to hear metal when in the car and are on their way to mastering the air guitar. It makes me feel so proud!
    (the fact that it bugs the crap out of 'er indoors makes me feel even better! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Excellent! The air guitar is an oft-underestimated instrument. I mastered the hurley guitar, and then the tennis racquet before moving on to the real thing. I think its actually important to get the kids into real music, before Syco and Bieber claim them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

When I was at Maiden it was all ages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I mastered the hurley guitar, and then the tennis racquet before moving on to the real thing.

Love how you went from no strings to hone your strumming talents, then acoustic and finally the ace instrument!

What is your axe of choice?

I have a selection of Flying V's in a range of colours :cool: The beauty of my air guitar collection is the amount of space it doesn't take up & I can get a new one for free anytime :D

kona wrote: »
    Pretty sure that male Defense force members have to get their hair shaved.
    A mate of mine is in the army and he says short hair is a requirement, not shaved.

Advertisement