Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland moaning about Ireland again..

• 04-03-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭

Is the man just determined to make Irish people hate him?
    Ireland retired from international football with his native Republic of Ireland four years ago, but he has no regrets and insists he feels nothing for his homeland, or even his hometown of Cork.
    "I don't give a damn for Ireland. Live in Cork? I'd rather shoot myself. I prefer Los Angeles," he said.

No Irish action

And he admits he is not going to be playing for his country again in the future.
    "Even at youth level, it p****d me off to go there," he said.
    "Everyone came from Dublin. I was the only guy from Cork. I had to take the train on my own, pay for a taxi, there was no hotel, no grub. It was handled so amateurishly.
    "National teams don't interest me. I have more to do than go off for three days to play Andorra. And when you are Irish, you are well aware you'll never win the World Cup.
    "I feel nothing for the team. I absolutely don't feel guilty when they lose and, when they win, at no time do I think I could have been there.
    "Even if Ireland had qualified for the World Cup, I wouldn't have gone. People call for my return, but I have only played five times for them. The national team and me are ancient history."
    Fair enough, if you dont have any feeling for the country you were born in or wish to play for them thats fine. But why come out in the media and slate them? This man is a tool of the highest order.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6793423,00.html

edit... i just noticed the thread already about this muppet..mods feel free to delete this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

PINK CAR!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Proves nothing more than we already know .
    We really should have a ban on all things been discussed Stephen Ireland , as its a total waste of time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

What's the story with people from Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What a WUM he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

What's the story with people from Cork?
    In fairness, he is right about that particular part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The only person still talking about Stephen Ireland and the Irish National team is Stephen Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I don't understand why Sky give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

So does everyone on here think he's a knob at this stage? Even the city fans?
    From football365:
    Stephen Ireland is frustrated. Maybe because of his pink-rimmed car, but more likely it's because of his lack of time on the pitch.

How did we come to this conclusion? Why, from Ireland discussing his lack of time on the pitch, of course.

He's quoted in The Sun as saying: "The last 18 months have been frustrating, especially when it's not your fault and out of your hands.

"It would've been different had I played 40 games and didn't perform, because then I would hold my hands up."

Games played by Ireland in the last 18 months: 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    In fairness, he is right about that particular part.

Were not all that bad from the rebel county,i assume your talking about Roy keane aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I hear he's off to Panathanaikos in the summer. Hopefully that'll be the last we hear from him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I like his honesty. We need more honest footballers and less offended football fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Galvasean wrote: »
    I hear he's off to Panathanaikos in the summer. Hopefully that'll be the last we hear from him.

theres a shamrock on their crest.....he wont go there!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Pauleta wrote: »
    I like his honesty. We need more honest footballers and less offended football fans.

What? We need more players who dont want to play for us???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What honesty? i think your trolling like him.

He seems to think he is above everyone, has a superiority complex. That guy is insane and none of his comments are valid.

There is a reason he doesnt get into first team football. Because he's lost it and has a terrible attitude blaming everyone but himself for his misfortune.

Heres hoping he runs out of cash loses his football career and has to return home to work in a chipper. Never seen so much talent wasted on an individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Sounds like he was traumatised by taking the train to Dublin on his own. Awww!

Has he not burnt enough bridges at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

One of the most overhyped Irish player ever.....leave him to it IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

What? We need more players who dont want to play for us???:confused:

:confused: That is such a bizarre post. Where did i say we need "We need more players who dont want to play for us???". Id rather he say what he did than a BS PC answer so not to offend the fragile minds. I like when people are honest. He was never gonna play for Ireland and he is honest for why he doesnt want to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lost all faith now.

He'd better stop publicing dissing the country or I'll get McShane after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

:confused: That is such a bizarre post. Where did i say we need "We need more players who dont want to play for us???". Id rather he say what he did than a BS PC answer so not to offend the fragile minds. I like when people are honest. He was never gonna play for Ireland and he is honest for why he doesnt want to play.

Honest! You call his garbled nonsense Honest, Trap leaves him in an office for 15 minutes and he slates him. Get of it!

The lad is a premadonna who needs to be coddled. There is a thing called Tact when your venting in the media. He has none of it. And honesty is not one of the things he is renowned for as we all know.

Honestly, waiting 15 minutes?

You'd swear Trap had him wait in the cold for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

If Stephen Ireland had a vote in this election, he would've voted FF, to be 'different'.

Muppet!

How can he be so good in training and so bad during a match? Somehow I don't think he's as honest as some people think.

"It didn't matter what I did in training, I wasn't ever going to get anywhere. Every player there knows that I was the first into training and the last to leave. I worked the hardest. I was practically always the best player in training, too" - Ireland complains about his treatment at Man City, August 2010.

"I was the best player in training. It was my team that won in every session" - Ireland complains about his treatment at Aston Villa, March 2011.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Roy Keane said the same about the amateur set-up and was hailed as a hero for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That part the OP quoted is months old, seen it ages ago, maybe it's not Ireland doing the moaning then :rolleyes:

Paparazzo wrote: »
    How can he be so good in training and so bad during a match? Somehow I don't think he's as honest as some people think.

"It didn't matter what I did in training, I wasn't ever going to get anywhere. Every player there knows that I was the first into training and the last to leave. I worked the hardest. I was practically always the best player in training, too" - Ireland complains about his treatment at Man City, August 2010.

"I was the best player in training. It was my team that won in every session" - Ireland complains about his treatment at Aston Villa, March 2011.

I don't think his pitch performances are really the issue here tbh.
    Melion wrote: »
    Roy Keane said the same about the amateur set-up and was hailed as a hero for it.

Ah now don't be latching onto one aspect of his rants to portray him as some sort of patriot trying to revolutionise the way the FAI is run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

maximoose wrote: »
    Is the man just determined to make Irish people hate him?

Fair enough, if you dont have any feeling for the country you were born in or wish to play for them thats fine. But why come out in the media and slate them? This man is a tool of the highest order.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6793423,00.html

edit... i just noticed the thread already about this muppet..mods feel free to delete this

Fair play to him for standing up for what he believes in, i doubt he came out and just said this, he was asked a question and he answered it more likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ah, i was being a smart ass.:o I know what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I didnt notice the timestamp on it, I assumed this was a recent interview. If this is months old, why has he brought it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The media as as much to blame, most be a quiet sports news day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

It's funny how nothing seems to be his fault.

The Ireland situation... Not his fault.
    City... Not his fault. Although in fairness, it wasn't particularly his fault.
    Villa... Not his fault.

Now I'd imagine when he finishes his time with Newcastle, he'll be shouting from the rooftops that something was wrong there.

The lad is literally insane or at the very least, highly delusional.

He's a perfect example of how to piss your talents up against a wall.

He's saying he was misquoted, but hasn't said how or why

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6794112,00.html

Paparazzo wrote: »
    He's saying he was misquoted, but hasn't said how or why

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6794112,00.html

His denials were a little weak I thought.

noodler wrote: »
    His denials were a little weak I thought.

And he doesn't exactly have much credibility when it comes to the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

He stills plays football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The lad has a chip on his shoulder pure and simple and this rant about his hometown just proves what sort of attitude he has. I wont say anything more as ive had infractions talking about him before but can the mods please put a NO stephan ireland for Ireland thread policy on this site, He made his opinion about the irish team and his country so end off let the lad continue his mediocre career in england... who cares!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He's not right in the head that lad, i wouldn't listen to a word he says anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

He was right about all of what he said..Hes from Cork at the end of the day we shoudlnt be so suprised at this.. Denis Irwin was a nice normal guy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source
    Aston Villa midfielder Stephen Ireland says he has been "misquoted" after conducting an interview in which he was apparently critical of Gerard Houllier, the city of Birmingham and his home city of Cork.
    French publication So Foot reported Ireland describing Birmingham as a "crap city" and questioning the methods of Houllier, who allowed him to join Newcastle United on loan in the January transfer window.
    Ireland was also quoted as saying he would "rather shoot myself" than live in Cork, as well as describing Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni as "arrogant" as he explained his reasons for abandoning international football.
    However, the Villa midfielder claims the comments attributed to him by the French publication do not accurately reflect his views.
    "I'm upset with what has been printed this morning because I feel like I've been portrayed in the wrong way," Ireland told skysports.com in a statement issued by his agent. "I was misquoted and things have been blown way out of proportion. That is the reason why I feel like I needed to say something because the quotes are very unfair.
    "What I said during the interview has been twisted to sound particularly blunt and a lot of what was written about my hometown of Cork - which me and my family visit regularly - was just plain ridiculous.
    "The comments regarding Birmingham were also taken way out of context as I had only been at Villa a few months and didn't even live there so I have no idea what Birmingham is like to live in and everyone I have met from Birmingham has been nice, my girlfriend's father is from Birmingham so why would I say that, it's just crazy.
    "I can only apologise if anyone was offended, but the way the interview was written made me sound very harsh, and I am not that kind of person."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think Ireand's intellectual ability was perfectly summed up by a story Micah Richards told on Soccer AM.

Richards was in the shower cleaning himself up after training. Ireland walks in..... "what's that you're using Micah?".... "It's a face wipe Stevie".....
    "what's that used for then?" was the response.

Makes Jason McAteer look like a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fair play to him. He's being completely honest and it's a shame more footballers wouldn't do the same.

I've much more respect for him than someone like Darren Bent who tells bear-faced lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Calling Birmingham and Cork kips were understandable, but then going and saying he likes LA. Wtf? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Fantastic post from Seaneh which a few people probably missed due to it being in AH.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70983635&postcount=27
    Seaneh wrote:
    I don't know Stephen personally. I've met him in passing few times and know people who worked with him for several years. Man city signed him as a teenager despite knowing he wouldn't play competitive football at any level for well over a year because of a genetic growth disorder which meant his bones grew too quick for the rest of his body, this left the lad in extreme pain for about 2 years from 15 to 17 years old. On top of that City knew he needed a lot of extra help, part of his training regime, even as a youth, involved about 8 hours a week with a counselor, his home life wasn't exactly amazing. His auld pair are still both under the age of 40, he is 24. He grew up in a poor home, no wonder he doesn't like cork.

In 2007, in Slovakia, he asked to leave the irish camp saying there was a death in his family, his girlfriend had had a late term miscarriage, they were both devastated. The FAI didn't ask him who died, somewhere along the line wires were crossed and the granny thing came up... He never told the FAI his granny died, they just jumped to a conclusion, when it was put to him his granny was still alive after the FAI press release he panicked and said it was his other granny. He was 21, had just lost a child, was mourning with his partner and panicked, on top of that he was the the middle of dealing with other personal issues. The FAI let him hang rather than try protect him, as they should have, the irish media made a villain out of him and the bar stool gob****e public lapped it up... So he decided 'feck that, they can get stuffed'. And I agree with him...

Later. He expressed to the irish setup, specifically Liam Brady, through his teammates at man city, he wanted to come back.

Trapatoni told the media he had talked to him 3 times before he ever bothered to phone the lad. Then when he eventually phoned him he spun him some **** about how they couldn't make it look like the FAI was backing down and stephen would have to make a public appeal to be selected, this despite Ireland being far and away the most on form Irish player in the premiership at the time.
    He said he didn't appreciate being used in a PR campaign and if Trapatoni was serious he should just call him up, he'd be available.

Trapatoni and the FAI lied for another few ,months without talking to him again before admitting he wasn't going to come back.

He ****ed up... That much is ture. But the FAI ****ed up even more and Then the FAI and Trapatoni tried to use him.

Why the Feck should he give a **** anymore?

He had enough **** going on without someone using in their media games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I don't understand why Sky give a toss.

We beat them at Cricket and then this is dusted off........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Oh, a sob story. Lovely.

Pfft.

Paully D wrote: »
    Fair play to him. He's being completely honest and it's a shame more footballers wouldn't do the same.

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

noodler wrote: »
    Nope.

Every coin has two sides, and apparently he was misquoted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

He's a sad case.
    So am I for even bothering to add to conversation about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Pal wrote: »
    He's a sad case.
    So am I for even bothering to add to conversation about him.
    If it makes you feel better, you didn't really add much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I don't see what's the big deal about him not wanting to play international football. I don't bother watching the games anymore and think their only a distraction from club football. If a player is with a top club they could play 60+ games a season so they have to keep fit and hope to be injury free. Why risk injury in meaningless friendlies or crap games against the mighty macedonia or andorra?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Am i the only one who thinks it's a crying shame what we have done to the lad? Easily the most naturally gifted Irish player since Brady. When he needed us most, we scorned and ridiculed him. Trap is no better, can't wait to see the back of that man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement