Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland moaning about Ireland again..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Easily the most naturally gifted Irish player since Brady

Ah Come on!!! Are you serious??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Ireland will be defending himself on Newstalk's Sport Saturday tomorrow, they played a bit of his interview with Ger Gilroy on Off the Ball earlier.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/22/friday/1/popup

(around 20 minutes in)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Salmon wrote: »
    Ah Come on!!! Are you serious??:eek:

Who then, i ask you, was more naturally gifted than Stephen Ireland?

Edit: He should've been our Xavi, our Scholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Paparazzo wrote: »
    So does everyone on here think he's a knob at this stage? Even the city fans?

City fan since 1977 and he's the player of theirs I despise most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

theres no denying he has talent but the problem is he hasnt got the mentality. he seems a bit immature to me and i think a lot of his problems have been his own doing. anyway this situation has been going on a long time and i reckon its time to let it lie. i have no interest in stephen ireland whatsoever - id be more interested in james mccarthy and young henderson that started for arsenal the other night. theres some excellent young players around with irish blood and id prefer we put our energy into nailing them down rather than worrying about SIs next rubbish interview

sonic85 wrote: »
    theres no denying he has talent but the problem is he hasnt got the mentality. he seems a bit immature to me and i think a lot of his problems have been his own doing. anyway this situation has been going on a long time and i reckon its time to let it lie. i have no interest in stephen ireland whatsoever - id be more interested in james mccarthy and young henderson that started for arsenal the other night. theres some excellent young players around with irish blood and id prefer we put our energy into nailing them down rather than worrying about SIs next rubbish interview

Of course his mentality is way off, he's not all there but neither was Gazza and how many times do we hear "imagine if Fergie got him, he'd have handled him better", i think to a certain extent you could say similar about Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

its too late for ireland - i doubt any manager in world football could handle him now. pity really. his goal against wales sticks in my head for some reason - he couldve been class for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I could not agree more really.

Fantastic ability on the ball, powers into the box, could have been an amazing addition to the team.

And when he said he wanted to come back, they tried to use him to make the FAI seem like it was not at fault.

Hopefully when Trap is gone, the new manager will see sense and try bring him back properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The lad clearly has personal problems so I don't hold anything against him. If he does ever want to play for the ROI then I'd welcome him with open arms.

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    He should've been our Xavi, our Scholes.

Suppose it depends on your definition of naturally gifted! I guess Roy Keane and Paul McGrath could have been considered to have been naturally gifted!

Maybe as an attacking midfielder there arent too many (or any) to come close!

Not sure if Ireland would necessarily be first choice for us at the moment given the fact that we are blessed with Green and Whelan with Andrews snapping at their heels!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Suppose it depends on your definition of naturally gifted! I guess Roy Keane and Paul McGrath could have been considered to have been naturally gifted!

Not sure if Ireland would necessarily be first choice for us at the moment given the fact that we are blessed with Green and Whelan with Andrews snapping at their heels!:o
    are you saying Keane and McGrath weren't naturally gifted?

The people who go off about his mentality are as clueless as they think he is tbh, he is one of the most driven players in the PL when it comes to training. So what if his car had pink rims and he was erratic in the construction of his house? Nothing worse than Ronaldo does and he isn't said to have personal problems...

Sorry if i was too vague! Im saying that they were extremely gifted!

I'll give you McGrath, not really a position we'd normally associate with "naturally gifted" but he was exactly that.

Keane, no. Give Ireland Keane's mentality and we have a world class player, a better world class player than Keane ever was. Ah, if only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Liam O wrote: »
    The people who go off about his mentality are as clueless as they think he is tbh, he is one of the most driven players in the PL when it comes to training.

Oh yeah he's whopper in training, that's why he never gets a bloody game.

"His return from the obscurity into which it had been hoped he had secured long-term lodgings could not have been more dishearteningly inappropriate and appallingly ill-judged. From someone who had the temerity to claim a £2m redundancy package before leaving the premises of one of a series of recently disgruntled employers -- the latest deviation from sporting incontinence into verbal diarrhoea is utterly repulsive.

And any attempts from him to rein in his comments via the contemporary convenience whereby one demands innocence because one's words were "taken out of context", as transmitted via the frigidity of a solicitor's statement, should be repelled with the contempt they deserve. For this will come as cold comfort to the large number of his less fortunate citizens of Cobh, and beyond, who are jousting daily with the mere exigencies of survival, as opposed to the tortuous choices of how to decorate the wheels of one's Humvee.

By announcing so monstrously that he would have rather shot himself than return to live in the town that for now must sadly for all time declare itself as his birthplace, Ireland has sundered the remaining sympathetic links between himself and the one remaining constituency in which he may have sought some sympathetic refuge."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-adds-insult-to-injury-2567055.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I could not agree more really.

Fantastic ability on the ball, powers into the box, could have been an amazing addition to the team.

And when he said he wanted to come back, they tried to use him to make the FAI seem like it was not at fault.

Hopefully when Trap is gone, the new manager will see sense and try bring him back properly.

Though I am no fan of Trap and or the FAI, if what seaneh said is correct then why didnt Ireland just come out and say it? It would have made his stance seem so much more reasonable and considered. The problem I have is that it seems impossible to believe a word the guy says now and I dont think that all comes down to a devious FAI PR plot. Ireland lies and then lies and lies and lies and so on. If he wants to salvage his career and or any credibility he needs to pipe down and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

craggles wrote: »
    "His return from the obscurity into which it had been hoped he had secured long-term lodgings could not have been more dishearteningly inappropriate and appallingly ill-judged. From someone who had the temerity to claim a £2m redundancy package before leaving the premises of one of a series of recently disgruntled employers -- the latest deviation from sporting incontinence into verbal diarrhoea is utterly repulsive.

And any attempts from him to rein in his comments via the contemporary convenience whereby one demands innocence because one's words were "taken out of context", as transmitted via the frigidity of a solicitor's statement, should be repelled with the contempt they deserve. For this will come as cold comfort to the large number of his less fortunate citizens of Cobh, and beyond, who are jousting daily with the mere exigencies of survival, as opposed to the tortuous choices of how to decorate the wheels of one's Humvee.

By announcing so monstrously that he would have rather shot himself than return to live in the town that for now must sadly for all time declare itself as his birthplace, Ireland has sundered the remaining sympathetic links between himself and the one remaining constituency in which he may have sought some sympathetic refuge."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-adds-insult-to-injury-2567055.html

My head hurts after reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

mixednuts wrote: »
    Proves nothing more than we already know .
    We really should have a ban on all things been discussed Stephen Ireland , as He is a total waste of time .

FYP...

My head hurts after reading that.

Truth hurts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Melion wrote: »
    Roy Keane said the same about the amateur set-up and was hailed as a hero for it.

Roy Keane was a player who proved himself at the highest level on a consistent basis for club and country, so his opinion carries a bit more weight than this clown.

• Advertisement

Not sure if too many are interested still, but SI is giving a cover his ass interview on newstalk in a few minutes!

Expect a large amount of back peddling!!

Advertisement