Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Memory Stick wont work in Windows 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Operating System: Windows Xp/2000/Me/98/95 And Mac Os 8.6 And Above

Windows 7 isn't mentioned. Even down in the product description. Although if it says it on the packaging that's false advertising. You could return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

on my one it does

thats just showing u the type i have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

chin_grin wrote: »
    Windows 7 isn't mentioned. Even down in the product description. Although if it says it on the packaging that's false advertising. You could return it.

Shouldn't make a huge difference. Most USB gear is backwards compatible. Can you format the key in XP? And check its size. Alot of that China stuff says 16GB, its formatted to appear that way, but is actually a 1GB stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

on my one it does

thats just showing u the type i have

Hmm. Ok.

Try to go to disk management and see if it shows up. Do you get any message at all that it's "installing new hardware"?

Also are you 100% sure that the usb port works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

when u plug in a normal stick you hear the laptop making a noise and then it says installing drivers etc , but nothing happens at all with this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Very long shot but have you updated windows 7, I seen one of the updates on my brothers machine when he bought it was for compatibility with 32GB flash drives, maybe there was one for 16GB.

Long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Are u familiar with the BIOS? If you go in there with the usb stick plugged in, go into the boot order section and it'l; tell u if its picking it up or not.
    If its not picking it up, then its a hardware issue, either the stick itself or the usb port is dodgy.

if it can pick it up, then it could be something to do with Win7... but unless its a seriously gammy usb stick, then it should be picked up in windows 7.

Try right clicking "Computer" and go to "Manage". then when the new window opens click on "Disk Management" and see if you can identify it in there.

you might just need to manually assign a drive letter or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in linux you could just type lsusb to see the ID of the device
    or dmesg to what happened when you plugged it in

you could look to see if the device (or an unknown device) is present in device manager , and lookup the ID on the interweb

devcon can get the device ID from the command line
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-obtain-the-current-version-of-device-console-utility-devcon-exe.aspx

Advertisement