Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - 30 days notice to disconnect?

• 04-03-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I rang UPC yesterday to disconnect my broadband service at home. Having first spoken to a very bright, upbeat kinda guy, (who thought I was buying a new product) I was put onto a very dour, and sad kinda woman who asked me if there was anything they could do for me (pay my mortgage please!!) etc, and also offered me a reduction on my current monthly rate.

Anyway, I said thanks but no thanks - and was told I had to send an instruction to them in writing and it would take 30 days to disconnect.

I am over a year with them, so am not under the yearly contract.

When I asked the (very dour) lady if I could not just get disconnected today, she said no way, had to be at least 30 days, and that after the 30 days, they could contact me again to 'be sure to be sure' that I wanted to disconnect.

Can I ask if UPC are in the right here? I just want this service disconnected asap - how hard can that be??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The T&Cs of any contract normally set a certain notification period for cancellation. This is normally 30 days. If you want it disconnected right now, you'll still have to pay for the next 30 days anyway, so you may as well leave it in place until that time has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

jor el wrote: »
    The T&Cs of any contract normally set a certain notification period for cancellation. This is normally 30 days. If you want it disconnected right now, you'll still have to pay for the next 30 days anyway, so you may as well leave it in place until that time has passed.

Thanks.

But my year contract ended with them a while back.

So technically, I'm not in that contract anymore - I just don't get why they wont disconnect me today and I'll pay them for usage until today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Fittle wrote: »
    Thanks.

But my year contract ended with them a while back.

So technically, I'm not in that contract anymore - I just don't get why they wont disconnect me today and I'll pay them for usage until today.

No,. you are still under contact with them, otherwise you would not have a service.

Read the T&C's, when you first started the contract,you agreed to keep it for a minumum of one year, now that this initial period has expired, your agreed to give them 30 days notice when you want to terminate the service. this is standard for most telecoms contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The year is just a minimum term, the contract of service is still valid, as are all of it's terms and conditions. Contracts don't end until one party decides to end it, at which point they must notify the other party.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Just tell them that you are disconnecting because of the price increase and that you want it done immediatly because they failed to notify you in writing of the increase in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

With most bb companies once the initial period is over you have a rolling 30 days contract with them.

If you have not already done so make sure you notify them in writing of your desire to cancel the contract - phone calls cannot be relied on with them (nor can written communications either!) but at least with the email you will have a record.

I have just had a shambolic disconnection experience with them so do not be surprised if it does not run smoothly.

Also if you pay by direct debit cancel the direct debit immediately with your bank in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Thanks all - I get it now. I sent them a letter yesterday.
    Although they rang me this morning to ask me if I'm really sure I want it cut off:rolleyes:

Advertisement