Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One light on a circuit is not working

Options
  • 04-03-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have/had a light in the front room that took 6 GU10 bulbs that works on a dimmer switch. I've never had an issue with it until recently it took a small knock and the lights went out immediately and the fuse tripped in the fusebox turning all the downstairs lights off.
    I flipped the fuse back on and every light but the front room one worked. I removed all the bulbs and tested them in a different fitting and found the one that was gone and discarded it. Then I placed the 5 working bulbs back in the fitting and a brand new one. But nothing happened. I checked the fusebox and everything looks normal, all the other lights on this circuit are working fine and respond to the fusebox being switched on and off.
    I figured something must have burned out in the light fitting, so I then bought a standard light fitting and put that in place with a new light bulb. This is not working either.
    Can anyone tell me what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

It is either a problem at the light switch or at the light fitting:

Switch: Either Permanent live to switch is gone (unlikley), switch wire from switch to ceiling rose is loose, or dimmer switch is faulty.

Fitting: Bad connection from switch wire or neutral feed is missing/broken.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is the light on a dimmer switch?

Some of the GU10 bulbs when they go will take out the dimmer switch too. I believe some of the better brands of GU10 have an line fuse built into them to protect the dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

Cheers Mike, Dilbert. I'll check out the switch and let you know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya-the bulb blowing 'took out' the dimmer and tripped mcb

Yeah, that was it.
    I replaced the dimmer switch with another light switch and it's all working fine now. The dimmer switch is gone altogether.
    Only thing is, that once I fixed this another light fitting on a different circuit went - but I imagine that's just a timely coincidence.

anyway, cheers all for the advice.

• Advertisement

Right, so all the other lights going off was due to me. When I replaced the dimmer switch with another switch the cables got separated and so while I was getting power to one light, the others on the circuit were disrupted.
    It was all pretty obvious once it was explained to me :rolleyes:

Advertisement