Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix for Waninkoko brick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So I was stupid enough to jump on that firmware and bricked my PS3. I've read now that there is a fix which involves a NAND dumper and flasher, which I don't have access to.
    I'm just wondering if anybody here has tried it or is willing to try it on my bricked PS3

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/02/how-to-fix-the-waninkoko-brick-for-nand-consoles/#axzz1FcycYwol

We've seen the method, it involves supreme soldering finesse :D Given what an infectus would cost you, with the repair bill, I'd say it'll be cheaper for you to buy a new console.

Here's a thought though, is the recovery menu still accessible with this type of brick? If so, would 3.56 install from there? Don't install it from the service mode, as there's no way to exit it from 3.56 yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Were you the bloke that I was talking to via email from the Xbox-Expert forums? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I would really love to give this a go, but I'm a man who knows his limits and I dont think I'd be able to!

I would really love to give this a go, but I'm a man who knows his limits and I dont think I'd be able to!

Same here, I just doubt my hands are steady enough, it's kinda the next level isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I would do this just for craig. Who has spare Infectus to lend? And working 3.55 phat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Achilles- Yeah , t'is me

Thanks guys for al the replies.

Enternow - i wish it was accessible, but the console wont even turn on, the main light lashes from green to yellow and red. The usb ports are not working either. It seems that by messing with LV2 this CFW really f**ks up

So it seems Im at a loss unless docentore can come across an Infectus and a working phat on 3.55 :rolleyes:. Ah well , my gaming days are over as i'm not aloud purchase a new ps3, ( serves me right i guess !)

Achilles- Yeah , t'is me

Thanks guys for al the replies.

Enternow - i wish it was accessible, but the console wont even turn on, the main light lashes from green to yellow and red. The usb ports are not working either. It seems that by messing with LV2 this CFW really f**ks up

So it seems Im at a loss unless docentore can come across an Infectus and a working phat on 3.55 :rolleyes:. Ah well , my gaming days are over as i'm not aloud purchase a new ps3, ( serves me right i guess !)

I don't think it's LV2 related, as you'd still get into Recovery Mode if so (LV2 is GameOS which runs under LV1 (Hypervisor)). It must be something critical in the bootloader that's messed up, infectus is the only way to go really if you wish to restore it.

yep, infectus and phat 3.55 ps3, some free time - thats all what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have a phat PS3 on CFW 3.55 but I could always flash it back to OFW if you needed me to though.

anyone has infectus? we could Modding / fixing boardsies evening

• Advertisement

Does it need to be infectus or infectus 2 ?

Can they be got anymore ? all the websites about Infectus seem to be a bit old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

seems to be a tool released to fix wankies bricks !! ....hows your Spanish :D

http://ps3crunch.com/cvos-v31-beta.html

iPwnage wrote: »
    seems to be a tool released to fix wankies bricks !! ....hows your Spanish :D

http://ps3crunch.com/cvos-v31-beta.html

Presumeably this is only useful if you dumped your nand before flashing? As how else can you get a dump to repair in the first place? Maybe I'm wrong, if not it just proves that it's good practice to always keep a reference nand image before flashing anything uncertain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

EnterNow wrote: »
    Presumeably this is only useful if you dumped your nand before flashing? As how else can you get a dump to repair in the first place? Maybe I'm wrong, if not it just proves that it's good practice to always keep a reference nand image before flashing anything uncertain.

no your correct, from the readMe:
    In order to execute it single you will need to have installed in your PC version .NET 2,0 Framework and dump of
    your flash memory (made with Infectus for example) correctly united or a CORE_OS_PACKAGE.pkg if
    quereis to extract its content.

iPwnage wrote: »
    no your correct, from the readMe:

Ah it's more a tool to sort out the bricked image, which the Infectus will retrieve for you. Cool, still solder city though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Cool, still solder city though :(

I know - awesome, right? :P

I know - awesome, right? :P

Personally I cross my fingers for bricks :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks, I'm just wondering if there has been any movement on a fix for the Waninkoko bricks as yet?
    I'm wondering if a progskeet or e3 flasher is an option?
    And is it even possible without a dump of the original flash?

banie01 wrote: »
    Folks, I'm just wondering if there has been any movement on a fix for the Waninkoko bricks as yet?
    I'm wondering if a progskeet or e3 flasher is an option?
    And is it even possible without a dump of the original flash?
    OK, so we all know about how the original Waninkoko firmware broke the older large NAND consoles, that was due to him overwriting some portions of Cell-OS Lv2 and the segment boundaries, god knows about the signature also. He also zeroed out a good section of the kernel, and also breaks some NAND consoles due to that. Now, you want to fix this issue? Well, you have to have: 1) A NAND Dumper
    2) CORE_OS_PACKAGE.PKG patched to remove signature checks or Official Core OS/PS3 in Service Mode
    3) A NAND Flasher
    4) Flow Rebuilder
    5) Hex editor
    6) PS3 with firmware less than 3.55
    OK, so you first have to dump both NAND chips (2 128MB NANDs for a total of 256MB) and interleave them using Flow Rebuilder, then decrypt the CORE_OS package to give you a raw core OS image, then open your combined NAND dump in a hex editor and search for “6F FF E0″ in the search for hex section. Once there, you should see:
    00000000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 6f ff e0 |………….o..|
    00000010 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 17 00 00 00 00 00 6f ff e0 |………….o..|
    Right after the second “6F FF E0″, remove the next 7,340,000 bytes, then, insert the unpacked Core OS (7,340,000 bytes). Then split the image using Flow Rebuilder (use ECC!) and flash. Hopefully it should work, and then you can just Lv2diag your way out.
    Do not overwrite anything else.
    This guide should help you fix any NAND console with Core OS fail.

Source

• Advertisement

Source
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Thanks EnterNow :)
    Still beyond my meagre soldering skills then ;)
    And indeed my gas powered soldering iron!!!LOL

Thanks EnterNow :)
    Still beyond my meagre soldering skills then ;)
    And indeed my gas powered soldering iron!!!LOL

Aye, there's basically a huge chunk of info missing from his firmware. You need to dump the two chips, rebuild the image, insert the missing info at the right point, split the image again & reflash.

I don't think its ever gonna be an easy fix, due to how low level the problem is :(

Just an update to this thread regarding a waninkoko unbrick...
    One of the Forum Mods over on PS3news.com is offering a UK based unbricking/Modding/Chip Installation and Reflow services.
    I contacted him regarding unbricking my own wani brick and he quoted me £45stg for the unbrick, with £6.50 return courier! And the £45 is on a no fix no fee basis ;)

I'm sending my brick off to him in the morning and shall update the thread when I hear back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Always searching far away when help was closer than you think ;)

joker@ wrote: »

In fairness, unless you advertise the service, how are people meant to know you do?

Double post

joker@ wrote: »

Well considering I ain't psychic and good and all as Google is neither is it...
    I never came across your service in previous searches and believe me I made many.
    What's your price? Do you offer no fix no fee?
    In fairness, unless you advertise the service, how are people meant to know you do?
    Very true :D

Folks,
    Just to follow up on my post here.
    I got my CECHC back from Mushy409 last week and I must say I'm delighted with the result.
    My NAND was totally blitzed and he managed to extract and rebuild it and patch me outta Waninkoko brickdom :D
    I got my PS3 back on a CFW 3.55 running sweet as a nut(until my bluray died but thats totally unrelated).

I know there are some Irish modders offering this service now but when I was looking I couldn't find anyone, I sent mine to the UK and despite the cost of the courier(€20 via parcel2go) and at £50stg inc return shipping I feel I got an ok deal and some great service.

Hopefully some of our Local guys can advertise this service and we can keep it local in future :)

Folks,
    Just to follow up on my post here.
    I got my CECHC back from Mushy409 last week and I must say I'm delighted with the result.
    My NAND was totally blitzed and he managed to extract and rebuild it and patch me outta Waninkoko brickdom :D
    I got my PS3 back on a CFW 3.55 running sweet as a nut(until my bluray died but thats totally unrelated).

I know there are some Irish modders offering this service now but when I was looking I couldn't find anyone, I sent mine to the UK and despite the cost of the courier(€20 via parcel2go) and at £50stg inc return shipping I feel I got an ok deal and some great service.

Hopefully some of our Local guys can advertise this service and we can keep it local in future :)

It looks like a painstaking procedure though, not warranting the amount you can justifiably charge...that's the prob.

• Advertisement
Advertisement