Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theives using GSM blockers - Common or not ?

Options
  • 04-03-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting a 'self' monitoring alarm usuing a GSM unit to send text messages of alarm activations to my mobile phone - untill I read about the GMS blockers.

Are theives with GSM blockers a common thing or would a theive with a GSM blocker be a rare thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I have not heard of one being used on a house. They are increasingly being used on comercial properties. Most alarm companies don't recommend the use of GSM dialers to shops etc. anymore.

The chances of a burglar using one on your property in slim at the moment but it's increasing every day.

The best way is a secure landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

What about new houses have a service panel for phone lines? These can be accessed by anyone with a pliers and cut with a scissors!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

I had a land line but canceled it and now have phone and broadband through a dish. It's a bungalow and the dish is easily reached from the ground level.

I'm out in the sticks. I was the last house on the land line with a half mile of cable and posts going just to my house. Any one with a ladder could cut this phone line any where along the half mile and be sure they were cutting the cable to my house.

Would it be possible to use both GSM and my VOIP simultaneously to have a better chance of getting a message out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

mullingar wrote: »
    What about new houses have a service panel for phone lines? These can be accessed by anyone with a pliers and cut with a scissors!

You must of missed where I wrote 'SECURE'. A secure line is ran under ground and doesn't come up in the service box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

GSM blockers are readily available, so you have a point. I know someone who has one and uses it to block nuisance mobiles on the dart and buses.

The can be bought for 20 euro online so are easily got even though they are illegal.

You have to be sure and play it safe. Maybe a system that has both methods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

You must of missed where I wrote 'SECURE'. A secure line is ran under ground and doesn't come up in the service box.

Thanks for your advice and I appreciate the security of a secure line, but out in the sticks everything is exposed. My own fault for choosing to live out in the sticks, buts thats another disscussion.

You missed where I wrote 'half a mile of cable just going to my house'.
    I could get permission from my neighbours to bury a cable on their farm land but the line crosses a public road and then joines to a main line.
    Even if I had most of it buried, it would be easily seen that where it joins to main line and crosses the public road goes to only one place, my house, at least a half a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Satts wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting a 'self' monitoring alarm usuing a GSM unit to send text messages of alarm activations to my mobile phone - untill I read about the GMS blockers.

Are theives with GSM blockers a common thing or would a theive with a GSM blocker be a rare thing ?

I have not come across any being used in any residential premises. Commercial when they know most of them have some sort of back up for there phone line have being hit by this type of blocker. With the use of GPRS dual communications with polling and radio it is being made more secure. Expensive enough for this type of monitoring but is more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Satts wrote: »

I think if a person uses a GSM Blocker to raid a house they are after something in particular (i.e. shop owner bank official etc...) and not an average joe public house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are a couple of things to consider here.
    All these blockers are becoming more easily available and cheaper you will see them used more & more.
    Secondly in our current climate the level of burglaries , & the methods used, are on the increase.
    Another option on the external service box is to fit a contact & alarm the door of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The best solution is a polling device used to monitor the device used to monitor your alarm every couple of minutes. With out this there is no way of knowing the alarm is not communicating with the monitoring station until the next test call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement