Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David McWilliams no longer part of show in Theatre Royal March 5th

• 04-03-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I have organised a group of friends to go to Leviathan with David McWilliams in the Theatre Royal tomorrow night - I just happened to be looking at the theatre website and it now says the presenter is Myles Dungan, no mention of DMcW, even though his photo is all over the printed programme, which is what I was going by...
    So I called the theatre and the person who answered was pretty abrupt, just said no, DMcW is not part of the show any more, they don't know why, no apologies. I was a bit put out so she said she is going to ask management for more info and call me back.
    Not that I am a mad raving DMcW fan, and Myles Dungan will be great I'm sure, but I do think it is the theatre's responsibility as the host venue to at least notify people who bought tickets - He is a big name and I imagine a lot of people would be put off if he is not going to be part of it.
    Anyone else who has tickets miffed about this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Personally, I would'nt be bothered if "DMcW", or <Economist-Broadcaster-Author> as his website proclaims, just fell off the edge of the planet. A night listening to his reeking smugness would possibly cause me to spontaneously combust. Quite possibly he regards Waterford as a small town unworthy of holding his ivory tower for an evening. He has bigger fish to fry apparently... "David interviews a diverse range of people from Hilary Clinton and Bono to Noam Chomsky and Michael O'Leary". Applying this to Waterford would translate as "David speaks to such local lumanaries are BillyMcC and ex-Magnum star turned TD John Halligan" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I don't don't even mean this in a smart arse after hours way and I risk looking like a tit but I'm going for it................... Who?

ziedth wrote: »
    I don't don't even mean this in a smart arse after hours way and I risk looking like a tit but I'm going for it................... Who?

My point exactly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

I'm not a big fan myself, and possibly Myles Dungan will be better than David McWilliams who is undeniably smug and irritating!
    It was more the fact that the Theatre Royal put his face all over their programme then didn't notify people who paid for tickets that he was no longer coming... not great business practice IMO.
    Theatre have since called back and apologised and offered refunds (though they only did this because I called them first).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Personally, I would'nt be bothered if "DMcW", or <Economist-Broadcaster-Author> as his website proclaims, just fell off the edge of the planet. A night listening to his reeking smugness would possibly cause me to spontaneously combust. Quite possibly he regards Waterford as a small town unworthy of holding his ivory tower for an evening. He has bigger fish to fry apparently... "David interviews a diverse range of people from Hilary Clinton and Bono to Noam Chomsky and Michael O'Leary". Applying this to Waterford would translate as "David speaks to such local lumanaries are BillyMcC and ex-Magnum star turned TD John Halligan" ;)

Sounds like *someone* took out a mortgage at the wrong time. ;)

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    Sounds like *someone* took out a mortgage at the wrong time. ;)

Not "me" buddy :D.... sensibly I did not join all the other sheep & slaves to fashion and jump off the cliff. Guess who is sitting pretty now??? ;)

Not "me" buddy :D.... sensibly I did not join all the other sheep & slaves to fashion and jump off the cliff. Guess who is sitting pretty now??? ;)

I take it you're being deliberately ironic in your smugness there? ;)

Personally, I admire people who are willing to take abuse for years for talking sense, and then when things turn out as predicted, do a reasonable job of keeping the 'I told you so's' to a minimum.

Given that this is Ireland, he is naturally first against the wall. Much better to repeat 'nobody said anything, nobody could have known'. I think there'll be a sizable section of society that will continue to dislike him long after the developers and bankers are forgiven and back in action.

Personally, if I was able to go, I would have bought a ticket on the strength of McWilliams being there. I'd have been fairly annoyed to see the lineup change, and very little publicity about the change!

That said, I'm sure it'll be good bang for buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

At the risk of going off topic it reminds of Eddie Hobbs and he had that TV show when actually used to Make people in their 20's mortage themselves up to the eyeballs because shock horror they were living at home on 25-30k a year.

Funny when you look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »
    At the risk of going off topic it reminds of Eddie Hobbs and he had that TV show when actually used to Make people in their 20's mortage themselves up to the eyeballs because shock horror they were living at home on 25-30k a year.

Funny when you look back.

To me McWilliams comes across as a bit annoying and self-promoting, but not such a bad guy.

But to me Hobbs comes across as a snake. McWilliams didn't promote people investing in Bulgarian property, Hobbs did. I don't see how anyone can have any meas for Eddie Hobbs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement