Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

All that work for 86,000 miles? Sure it's not 186,000 miles or 286,000 miles.
    Control arms often fail before 86k, shocks too. I've done shocks all round on mine and one or 2 control arms. The engine is strange though, might have ran out of oil or something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Control arms often fail before 86k, shocks too. I've done shocks all round on mine and one or 2 control arms. The engine is strange though, might have ran out of oil or something?

Re-reading the add, it looks like 86,000 miles on the new engine! As I say, galactic miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Cars always look alot worse in person than in pictures.

As that looks as rougj as a badgers arse in the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat

I'm looking at buying an 06 car, test drove fantastic, clean as a whistle, great nick, no service history but Cartell checks out fine. Concerned about timing belt as 80,000 on it diesel but garage promised a new one plus NCT. Problem is garage has a dodgy reputation. Is Cartell and gut instinct good enough to go on or should I walk away? I'd like to take it to my own mechanic for a once over but not sure if this is the done thing, I'm also limited by cost.

Pm me the link if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I have put a deposit on an 05 Golf 2l 140hp TDI pending my loan approval and a mechanics inspection. It has service history and only 60k genuine km on the clock.

I checked it out twice making sure it was cold the second time and all fluids looked good as did panels except one or two little scuffs which the garage is touching up. Drives well in all gears and pushed and prodded every button.

Anything else I should check? cartel report came back all ok.

Also I need to find a mechanic in Drogheda to take a look. Any recomendations? I need the mechanic to come to the dealers for this.

Was the 2.0 tdi out here in 2005 in the Golf? Maybe it was.

60 kms on an 8 year old High spec (ie. Not 1.9) is way too low. That said no one would be stupid enough to clock it that low. Any link

Was the 2.0 tdi out here in 2005 in the Golf? Maybe it was.

60 kms on an 8 year old High spec (ie. Not 1.9) is way too low. That said no one would be stupid enough to clock it that low. Any link

Here is a link.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/2.0tdi-1/37013769351821510/advert?channel=CARS

According to the sales guy it was owned by a lady in her 60s and was bought for her by her husband who probably wanted to be able to drive it himself at the weekends etc. she didn't drive it too much so traded it in for a 1.6 petrol.

I looked for signs f clicking and the only thing was some wear on the steering wheel but not on the wheel itself, the spokes looked as of the too later of colour has come off a bit, maybe you can see it better I the picture. I'm guessing though that this could be UV damage due to age. No sign of wear on seat etc and service history seemed to reflect mileage.

Seem legit. Get a decent warranty. That is incredibly low mileage.

They are only giving a 3 month warranty because its an 05 ad are servicing it at the moment. I'm half tempted to just pick it up and then get mechanic to look at it during the warranty.

I don't have insurance in my own name at the moment and for me to take it to a mechanic they want me to change over my insurance to this car for the day and I don't know any mechanics that I trust in Drogheda. My brother has a good one in Wicklow so was going to just bring it to him after I buy it. Bad idea?

• Advertisement

Infairness, theyre a Vw main dealer, theyre not going to sell you scrap (I would imagine). I think youll be safe enough.

Infairness, theyre a Vw main dealer, theyre not going to sell you scrap (I would imagine). I think youll be safe enough.

That was my thinking. I looked at a few other cars and being a main dealer helped win me over with this one. Paying it off on Monday and should be collecting it the end of the week . Looking forward to having my own wheels and giving my mum her car back.

Thanks for the advice Limerickman.

Make sure the T belt is done. Id also get your mechanic to check the condition.of the clutch flywheel. You could also check this my sitting in the car, in neutral with the engine running. Push the clutch in fully and feel for any OTT vibrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Lads what's up with the Peugeot 407 1.6HDI 2006-2008 models being so cheap compared to the same engines in the C4 / C5 / Focus / Mazda3? Am I missing something? Is there lots of common faults with the chassis / electrics?

Im not sure on the Mazda 3 but the rest of them all share the same engine.

Edit: I Misread your post.

Just undersirable maybe? Are you comparing like for like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Im not sure on the Mazda 3 but the rest of them all share the same engine.

Edit: I Misread your post.

Just undersirable maybe? Are you comparing like for like?
    Well the others with low mileage HDI all seem to be pushing 6K but the 407 are plenty between 4-5K and it just makes me cautious and curious as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭le_dazzler

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about buying a Volvo S40 and I've noticed there seems to be a huge discrepancy in the price of (what look to me) similar models

The 2005 models here range from just short of 6k to just under 4k, with very similar looking specs. Are the cars priced at 4k too cheap to be credible, or am i missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Just a quick query on VRT.

There seems to be a good few people in the south selling Northern cars. If someone was looking at buying one where do you stand in relation to VRT on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AeroKid

Hi folks, just saw my old company car on a website for sale in a garage with over 200 thousand taken off the clock! Do I report this to simi or ring the garage, if i ring the garage they may say that its just a miss print? Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

AeroKid wrote: »
    Hi folks, just saw my old company car on a website for sale in a garage with over 200 thousand taken off the clock! Do I report this to simi or ring the garage, if i ring the garage they may say that its just a miss print? Any suggestions?

I'd be curious to find out the same. I bought a car with 67,000 miles taken off the clock in Jan and only found out in April where I got it serviced at an official dealership. I got a replacement from the dealer but they've been pretty sh|tty in dealing with after I found out. They were a SIMI dealer when I bought it but aren't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AeroKid

Well that's it, I'd be sickened if I found out such a discrepency after handing out big money! I don't know if cartell would have show up this I'm sure it would?

AeroKid wrote: »
    Well that's it, I'd be sickened if I found out such a discrepency after handing out big money! I don't know if cartell would have show up this I'm sure it would?

I stupidly didn't ask for a cartell report at the time because I assumed being a SIMI dealer meant something like that wouldn't happen. Learned my lesson there.

Just wondering; I read that they should be reported to the consumer protection agency but does anyone know if they should also be reported to the Insurance Federation of Ireland? I'd imagine selling clocked cars would have an impact on that industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Very good, a must read for all potential used car buyers.

smokingman wrote: »
    I stupidly didn't ask for a cartell report at the time because I assumed being a SIMI dealer meant something like that wouldn't happen. Learned my lesson there.

Just wondering; I read that they should be reported to the consumer protection agency but does anyone know if they should also be reported to the Insurance Federation of Ireland? I'd imagine selling clocked cars would have an impact on that industry?

I've never seen an insurance company as for the mileage on a car, so I can't see what effect it would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sweetcat

Thanks Limerick man, I got the car inspected and also got someone in the know to check the mileage for me, the car was clocked. No surprise as they've been mentioned a fair bit on Boards as being dodgy. Ive upped my budget a bit (ouch) and off to a more reputable garage tomorrow so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

I've never seen an insurance company as for the mileage on a car, so I can't see what effect it would have.

I was more thinking about the fact that there could be cars out there that are worth less than they are insured for and if there was an accident, the insurance lads would be paying out money they didn't need to (in their eyes).

smokingman wrote: »
    I was more thinking about the fact that there could be cars out there that are worth less than they are insured for and if there was an accident, the insurance lads would be paying out money they didn't need to (in their eyes).

Thats an aspect I hadn't considered. MugMugs might be able to tune in on that one, Ill PM him later.

Thats an aspect I hadn't considered. MugMugs might be able to tune in on that one, Ill PM him later.

Thanks MugMugs, much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

2005 Mazda 6 1.9, family member is looking at one & I know next to nothing about them. Are they best avoided?

Diesel? Apparently theyre a no go. I havent experienced one myself.

• Advertisement

Diesel? Apparently theyre a no go. I havent experienced one myself.

Yeah just seeing some posts about them would indicate so. What are the problem areas?

As far as I recall it is just a terrible engine that is well known to explode

Hope I'm posting in the right place, if not apologies in advance.
    I removed the black window tint from a Volvo S60 & am left with the glue residue, cannot see out the rear window, any thoughts on how this can be removed without damaging the heated rear window ?.

Try the detailing forum

Thank you, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

I'm looking into buying a car that was purchased 1 year ago and has finance outstanding with VW bank. Hes selling because he is moving abroad.

They guy I'm buying from seems very genuine and I've no doubts over his integrity. He wants me to pay the agreed price to VW bank referencing his reg plate(amount outstanding is less than agreed price). This will take 10 days to clear and they will effectively transfer ownership over to him in full then. The next step would be for me to collect the car and have it registered in my name.

What I want to know is, if this is the normal process for a situation like this. Also, I am concerned about the security of the transaction on my end. How can I protect myself here?

Thanks

I would ask him to produce written confirmation of the amount oustanding on vehicle from the Bank, showing the agreement & reg number, you could then get a Bank Draft payable to the finance Company & ask the seller to forward it to them immediately. I does take 10 days for the Lenders Data Base to be updated.

Sorry the above reply should read 'YOU GET THE DRAFT FROM SELLER' & forward to the Finance Co, Bank.

I would speak to your bank on that one.

You Could very easily pay that money off and never see hin or the car again.

In an IDEAL world, he would pay off the finance first. I would be asking him to prove to you that he can pay off the outstanding balance first.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

In an IDEAL world, he would pay off the finance first. I would be asking him to prove to you that he can pay off the outstanding balance first.

This is what I think I'm going to push for. Once the car is in his own name I would be happy to hand over the cash. Anything else is just messy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

make sure it has currant insurance tax and nct cert

only buy at persons house look at driving licence,match address,

only buy from owner

bring it to mechanic

2004 1.7 Diesel Civic, anything to watch for on them? The family member who was looking at Mazda 6 diesel previously is looking at this now...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Hi Lads, In the process of buying my first car, some great advice on here so just want to thank everyone for that first of all!

Question is I'm looking at a car at the moment, private seller, the guy is selling it for his friend who has moved abroad(returned home) for good. Just wondering is this ok or is there some reppercussions from the owner not being the seller? I dont want to get caught out in a dodgy deal with my first car. Thanks for any advice!

As long as he has to logbook and its signed by that previous owner you're fine.

Thing is that fella is probably a Dealer, so be careful. Pm me the link if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

this could be how long is a piece of string type question but herself is trading up soon.

What kind of a trade in value would she get for a 2003 Hyundai Getz 1.1, 120k ?

Or would a better option be to buy the newer car and sell the getz privately?

Privately. You might be offered a grand for it, and you might be able to get the same grand offthe price for the straight deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Julian20

i'm going to view a car on saturday, the guy selling the car is a dealer, has a small garage, im giving my car away plus few quid his way, both cars are same year, similiar value, mine engine is smaller thou, i followed step one from the guide, his car havent changed the ownership in last 3 months, so so far so good. will do another steps before going to look as i have to travel from Limerick to Dublin, hopefully online checks are all going to be good news :)

Pm me the details if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maccers1011

gave a guy a deposit on a car a few weeks ago and thought i would have come up with the difference but failed to do so.
    asked the guy for the deposit back as im heading to college. he's saying he doesnt have to give me anything back but might give me half of the deposit i gave him. claiming he doesnt have to and if i was to go down the legal route that he would be in the right. advice ?? i personally think thats a disgrace as he made money on selling the car lately anyways but still acting stiff on the deposit. have no clue how to approach this except for consulting a solicitor.

• Advertisement

The whole reason you gave the deposit was to hold the car with the intention to buy it.

I wouldn't give it back either to be honest, if it was "weeks later".

Advertisement