Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gem898

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Stick the ka up on donedeal. Buyers love nct even if the car is a bag.

Will do, Will take some photos later.. but promise not to laugh at the state of it once its up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Put it up for a couple of hundred after you've bought the Yaris

Put it up for a couple of hundred after you've bought the Yaris

Can I have 2 cars registered in my name at the one time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

gem898 wrote: »
    Can I have 2 cars registered in my name at the one time?

Of course :) I have 3 at the moment.

You can only really insure one at a time though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Of course :) I have 3 at the moment.

You can only really insure one at a time though.

Oh cool, that takes the pressure off!

Probably final question and not sure if I can even ask this here so please let me know if I can't.....

I want to take a mechanic out to have a look over one of the cars I've been to see. I really like the car and I'm 99.9% sold on it but want that extra piece of mind. Only problem is I don't know any mechanics in the South Dublin area or what kind of a garage is the best to go in and ask for someone to come check it out. It would have to be after work hours as well.

Is it better to go for someone like calloutmechanics or a mobile mechanic of some sort? But then how much can you trust them. I don't want to spend a fortune but know it will be worth it ultimately.

It'll be hard to find someone that won't rob you in that type of job... You could spend 10 percent of the value getting it checked out.

Colm_mcm and Limerick Man,

Thank you guys so much. I am now the proud owner of a Toyota Yaris. I'm over the moon!
    Ended up getting the one in DunLaoighre, so thanks for that Colm.

Limerick Man your advice was invaluable and really helped me feel more confident about buying privately.

Amazing advice, guidance and opinions.

Good Job guys!!

(Now going to go over to the "Selling your car" guide to see what I can do with my KA)

Woop! Well wear, that looked like a lovely car.

Well wear!

As for the Ka, read the guide, then put it on donedeal for a couple of hundred and it'll be gone in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

After considering not going for the 2008 Laguna I have come across a 2007 Ford Focus that looks nice.

It's 1.6 petrol Ghia model. NCT until February next year & has 44,000 miles on the clock. Priced up at 5,750 (dealer not willing to budge more than €100) Does the Ghia model have stiffer suspension that a standard focus as it seemed very firm on the road.

Seems like a nice car, 2 small issues (broken catch on cubby hole on the dash & the top of the gear lever is pulled off) Anyone have any experience of this car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Had a 2005 diesel Ghia which is pretty much the same car. Most common problem was water finding it's way in through the rear hatch drain into the wiper assembly and then shorting out the boot lock. Only effected hatchback models and was supposed to be resolved by 2007.

Ghia has standard suspension setup (it was the Zetec that had stiffer and lowered suspension). The broken trim would bother me a little especially on car with such low mileage, could indicate the car had a hard life, any service history with it to verify?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Had a 2005 diesel Ghia which is pretty much the same car. Most common problem was water finding it's way in through the rear hatch drain into the wiper assembly and then shorting out the boot lock. Only effected hatchback models and was supposed to be resolved by 2007.

Ghia has standard suspension setup (it was the Zetec that had stiffer and lowered suspension). The broken trim would bother me a little especially on car with such low mileage, could indicate the car had a hard life, any service history with it to verify?

It's saloon model (probably should have stated that) Getting someone else to go & test it tomorrow but the broken trim was bothering me as well. Now I must say that the upholstery is in mint condition so it I am a bit confused by it.

It has had 2 previous owners & the garage it question got it from a local painter they were saying.

That would explain why a 05 Focus's boot would keep popping open! Any fix for it?
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    It's saloon model (probably should have stated that) Getting someone else to go & test it tomorrow but the broken trim was bothering me as well. Now I must say that the upholstery is in mint condition so it I am a bit confused by it.

It has had 2 previous owners & the garage it question got it from a local painter they were saying.

Funny, never knew a painter that had a saloon :pac:

Any link?

That would explain why a 05 Focus's boot would keep popping open! Any fix for it?

Any link?

http://www.davidmurphycarsales.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/NT-GHIA/39713904069312320/

He must not have that long, I was looking for one of those last week :mad::P

Looks good. You can buy a new coil pack kit from Ford, if you can bargain that into the deal it would be a decent buy. Considering a dealer in Cork is looking for the same money for a car two years older with 3 times the mileage.

He must not have that long, I was looking for one of those last week :mad::P

Looks good. You can buy a new coil pack kit from Ford, if you can bargain that into the deal it would be a decent buy. Considering a dealer in Cork is looking for the same money for a car two years older with 3 times the mileage.

Yea was looking at one in Lyons of Limerick earlier today, 06 saloon focus with good mileage for 6,000 so this one does look good value.

Yea was looking at one in Lyons of Limerick earlier today, 06 saloon focus with good mileage for 6,000 so this one does look good value.

As I said they're well known to blow coils and Ford have brought out a new kit with them in it so if the dealer doesn't fit it I'd reccomend you fit it yourself.

As I said they're well known to blow coils and Ford have brought out a new kit with them in it so if the dealer doesn't fit it I'd reccomend you fit it yourself.

Yea the guy going looking at the car for me tomorrow is retired mechanic (handy I know) so I'll say that to him

Could be worth ringing Sheils and seeing if they have any history on it.

• Advertisement

Could be worth ringing Sheils and seeing if they have any history on it.

Thanks I'll give it a shot

Any link?

Had to replace the lock switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Figure rather then starting a new thread I'd throw a little post in here, see what bites.

I'm driving an Opel Astra 00 at the moment. There is no problems with it what so ever. I bought it of my parents few years back, as it needed some work done and they were going to sell the car and just buy a new one.

I commute from Swords to Park West for work Mon-Friday, so two trips on the M50, and do a fair bit of driving. Girlfriend doesnt drive so ferry her around the place, and also do some driving to the golf course and airsoft site, where I play respectively. So boot space is important.

Baby on the way in the summer, so figure something a little bigger would be nice.

I've driven a few of my friends Ford's, and they seem to handle so differently to my Opel, and it's noticeable on a few other cars I've had short spins in, the handling seems noticeably easier. Not necessarily the car itself, but things like gear change and steering, just feels more "modern" maybe if the word.

I havnt really been tempted to change, my car is fine, doesn't cost me much to run per week ( about €40 -60), tax is about €300 and something a year, so I'm not in a panic to change, but looking at the value out there, it looks like something I'd consider.

I don't have a budget persay, I don't want to spend big money, probably cap it off at 8-9k, only cause I've seen alot of 07-09 model carious cars and brands going for that sort of money. I know cars can be a pretty personal/opinionated affair, but would love to hear some suggestions.

I've been fancifully looking at the Hyundai ix35's the last while, granted out of my prize range, but that sort of SUV crossover looks tempting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

TheDoc wrote: »
    Figure rather then starting a new thread I'd throw a little post in here, see what bites.

I'm driving an Opel Astra 00 at the moment. There is no problems with it what so ever. I bought it of my parents few years back, as it needed some work done and they were going to sell the car and just buy a new one.

I commute from Swords to Park West for work Mon-Friday, so two trips on the M50, and do a fair bit of driving. Girlfriend doesnt drive so ferry her around the place, and also do some driving to the golf course and airsoft site, where I play respectively. So boot space is important.

Baby on the way in the summer, so figure something a little bigger would be nice.

ok, so for your budget, and the need for boot space, and practicality, and low tax, and handy on diesel, consider a 1.6 diesel 2008 kia ceed SW (estate). Take one for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 THE S33K3R

Great advice from the OP on what to look for when buying a new car. I bought a second hand car recently and would have been less sure of myself had I not had a few pointers.
    It does no harm either to look under the vehicle if you are able, as I found out when I brought the car to a garage after buying it. The mechanic raised the car up on a lift and I was able to see under it. There were two leaks, one from the oil pump gasket and the other from the cv boot which was burst, both clearly visible as "wet" areas on the underside. Both have to be fixed which will cost a few hundred anyway however I got a good deal so not too put out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rosmuc

Hello and thank you all in advance for any advice you can give me. I have two options re buying a 2nd hand car. Both cars are being sold by mums of friends so no issues re. Knowing their history. One is a 2006 avensis with 110000 kms which is about 67000 miles asking price 5500. The other is a 2009 ford focus saloon 50000 miles asking price 9000. I'm currently leaning towards the avensis. Any thoughts. Rosmuc

• Advertisement

Bit of an odd shortlist tbh. Broaden your horizons. Plenty genuine dealers out there selling genuine cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rosmuc

I just have both cars as easy reliable options. I'm getting rid of 04 Fabia. High mileage but very good car. Have nct Sunday and expect to fail it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 survsol

Hi,

Can anybody give me advice on this item.
    I bought this car from a Toyota dealer 5 weeks ago. The mileage was very low, ie 13500 miles. The car does not sit well on the road, particularly in the driving seat, not as bad on the passenger seat.
    Feels very rough even when driving at 50 k/per hour. Feels like i am driving over a stoney road and this comes through the steering wheel. It also rocks alot when going over uneven surfaces. The clutch is tight and after 10 - 20 minutes driving my foot get sore.

Basically the car has low mileage and should be gliding along, this is far from the way it actually is. Could it be a problem with the suspension / shocks / tyres / overall balancing ?.

Even on a dual carriage / Motorway, the wheels are very noisy on the road and this sound comes into the car.

After a 15 - 25 minute journey the base of my back is sore.

The car is under a 12 month Toyota warranty.

What should I do ?, any help will be much appreciated.

Tony

What size tyres are on it?

Have you drive many other 2011 avensiss to compare?

Is it miles or kilometres on the clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kooks87

Hi, anyone know of an equivalent motor tax check website for a car from the north? Anything else to look out for if bringing a car down from the north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Think I read somewhere that they had a high number of clocked cars... no idea how accurate this is. also you can find a vrt calculator, think it is on the ROS website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd be flattered if they did.

Reading some of the nonsense lazy journalism floating around you would think that all cars from the UK are clocked. What doesn't get mentioned is that a lot of these cars tend to get clocked after they have landed here by dodgy Irish sellers. There are also plenty of original Irish cars getting clocked too but again that tends to get less press.

The difference being that UK cars are generally in better condition so hide the miles better. Do proper background checks and you limit the risk of buying a clocked car.

That's the danger of getting a car history check website to help write your article

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Looking for a car for around €1000. Doesnt have to be taxed.

Small car for a learner driver.

Thanks.

Luap wrote: »
    Looking for a car for around €1000. Doesnt have to be taxed.

Small car for a learner driver.

Thanks.
    Keep an eye on the bangeromics thread

My favourite sub-€1000 car is the fiat seicento. You'll get the cream of the crop for €1,000.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cars/6548193

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-seicento/6650141

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/very-nice-seicento/6700476

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-siecento-with-fresh-nct/6683769

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-seiciento-1-0-nct-01-2015/6620538

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Hi there,

Herself is looking to get a new car, she is currently driving a 02 Astra but it's had its day at this stage. Her budget for a new car would be €10k and her preference is diesel as she has about a 50 mile roundtrip to work and she regularly does longer spins up home (Galway - Donegal). She would ideally like something in the lower tax brand and would be happier to move away from Opel/Vauxhall. She's mentioned VW a few times.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for reply.

Ones I'd be looking at:
    Golf
    Civic
    I30
    Cee'd

Pretty much every post 08 diesel will fill the cheap tax brief, they'll all be more economical than the astra and be more pleasant.

Get her to drive a Golf first and get it out of her system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Reading some of the nonsense lazy journalism floating around you would think that all cars from the UK are clocked. What doesn't get mentioned is that a lot of these cars tend to get clocked after they have landed here by dodgy Irish sellers. There are also plenty of original Irish cars getting clocked too but again that tends to get less press.

The difference being that UK cars are generally in better condition so hide the miles better. Do proper background checks and you limit the risk of buying a clocked car.

Funny you should post this as I'm racking my brain here about the same thing.
    I'm looking to buy a car atm and everyone I have rang today(5 altogether)have been brought in from either NI or the UK and have been re-reg here.

How do you know if they have been clocked?
    All of the people I rang today said there was only one owner. Coincidence or scam?
    One guy said he had the previous 5 MOTs for the car before he brought it over.
    But can this still be trusted?
    Really don't know what to do at this stage as a car is needed and budget is limited, so is the car I want(toyota) :(

• Advertisement

You ask the seller to show you the service book, it should have stamps by the garages that carried out the work and what they did. You then ring those garages and ask them what they did and at what mileage, it should correlate with what is in the service book. If the seller makes up some bull excuse about not having it or it never came with one then move onto the next car. Once you are happy that those things check out then do a car history check on it from the likes of motorcheck or cartell to check for any recorded accident history and outstanding finance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭GobblyNob

How do those motorcheck websites know so much? I mean if I had a car, how the feck did they get access to my mileage, and whether I crashed it or not? What if I crashed it and repaired it myself?

GobblyNob wrote: »
    How do those motorcheck websites know so much? I mean if I had a car, how the feck did they get access to my mileage, and whether I crashed it or not? What if I crashed it and repaired it myself?

If you buy a car new, crash it and fix it yourself and put high mileage and clock it yourself the owner person that will know that is you. The likes of Motorcheck and Cartell rely on information from Insurances companies and from Dealers etc. Entering in mileage as they see cars.

That's why they only guarantee finance checks, because it's the only thing they can.

If a car was 6 years old(an 08) but only had a service history from 2010 would that be a worry?

Smidge wrote: »
    If a car was 6 years old(an 08) but only had a service history from 2010 would that be a worry?

Could be. What is mileage the first stamp for?

What car is it?

11k miles.

Why do people sell their cars just as the NCT is out anyway? Can I assume that they don't believe their car will pass the test?

Some people are just lazy and don't want to put any more money or effort into a car they no longer want. This attitude however might give an insight into how they looked after the car throughout their ownership of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Northern lassie

Hi All

Need to change our car (trade in value about€1,500) and looking 07 diesel 1.8 Ford S Max. Had a little drive this morning and really like it. Price with mine is €6,000. The downside is there's 233,000 KM on the clock. Is this mileage just way too high - should I walk away? Full service history is available. We need a 7 seater and the budget is about right. Wouldn't know a huge amount about cars so any advice welcome. Thanks

Advertisement