Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

By way of update, the update no one asked for, we didn't bother with those cars. We used cash and some finance to get a 2016 Golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Was just about to say that 2013 Corsa was very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

What's the best site for used cars?

Still in the market for an i30d

Carzone seems crazy expensive

Garages looking for anywhere between 7-10k for 2012 cars is madness

Can you buy private on carzone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ivan1983

Hello everyone, I'm planing to buy a Mazda 3, 2014, 2.2 diesel, so is there anyone with car like that for some advices/references? :-)
    I'm from Galway and I found one on DoneDeal in good condtion, I already went to check the car, few marks here and there but that's it... the rest looks and feels excellent. (I can't put link as new user here).

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

Did you check for rust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ivan1983 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm planing to buy a Mazda 3, 2014, 2.2 diesel, so is there anyone with car like that for some advices/references? :-)
    I'm from Galway and I found one on DoneDeal in good condtion, I already went to check the car, few marks here and there but that's it... the rest looks and feels excellent. (I can't put link as new user here).

Thanks in advance.
    Run, fast, from any Mazda with a diesel engine. Seriously.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’d be too much of a risk for me anyway.

raclle wrote: »
    Did you check for rust?
    Esel wrote: »
    Run, fast, from any Mazda with a diesel engine. Seriously.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’d be too much of a risk for me anyway.

Really lads? This generation doesn't rust (not at this age at least haha) and these Skyaktiv diesel engines are better then ever.

It seems I'm more updated. I watched many reviews for this model, 2013-2015 and there wasn't single complaint. They are more reliable than any German car, only problem could be if previous owner didn't take care for preventive maintenance, etc.

Thanks for reply anyway.

They’re terrible engines and far less reliable than their Germany counterparts.

I’ve yet to meet a good one

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    They’re terrible engines and far less reliable than their Germany counterparts.

I’ve yet to meet a good one

I still can't believe.
    I was also considering Honda Accord (2011/2012/2013) but they are more expensive and road tax is also higher (380 vs 190)

Some of the accords with smaller wheels are €280 tax I think .

Considering they were €994 on cc tax, €390 isn’t a lot.

Ivan1983 wrote: »
    I still can't believe.
    I was also considering Honda Accord (2011/2012/2013) but they are more expensive and road tax is also higher (380 vs 190)

Wood from the trees and all that.

Extra 200 a year in tax versus an extra million* euro in repairs

*may not be entirely accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its funny how some folks see €390 tax as being high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Derry247

Hi all, I am close to closing a deal on a second hand car from a dealer. I’m just wondering if the fact that VAT has reduced from 23 to 21% today would make any difference to the prices across the board??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres no vat on used cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

This is exactly what I'm looking for (except mileage is a bit too high) however I thought I recognised the reg and sure enough it came up in my phone memory when typing reg in on motor check. So it must have changed hands recently? Guy looks like he's had a few ads on done deal so maybe he's a trader?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-renault-fluence/25625777

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

Contrary to what is stated in post 2916 there is VAT on Used Cars sold by a Dealer, it's included in the price.
    If you are buying straight you should expect the 2% reduction , provided that the Dealer had the Car advertised at the old rate of VAT.
    If you are trading in , your car will also have reduced by 2% price/value so there is unlikely to be much difference in the "to change" price , the exception being if you are trading in a very low value car , the deal is then very like a straight deal.
    Have you run your query by the Dealer ?

There is no VAT on used cars. Dealers pay VAT on their profits

zzantara wrote: »
    Contrary to what is stated in post 2916 there is VAT on Used Cars sold by a Dealer, it's included in the price.
    If you are buying straight you should expect the 2% reduction , provided that the Dealer had the Car advertised at the old rate of VAT.
    If you are trading in , your car will also have reduced by 2% price/value so there is unlikely to be much difference in the "to change" price , the exception being if you are trading in a very low value car , the deal is then very like a straight deal.
    Have you run your query by the Dealer ?

There’s no VAT on used cars, it’s called VAT margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25875606

Or

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25561404

Which would you go for? Both sellers are genuine.

Is the Octavia 1.9 the old PD engine?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25875606

Or

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25561404

Which would you go for? Both sellers are genuine.

Is the Octavia 1.9 the old PD engine?

Thanks

I’d probably go the Megane as it’s more modern, being launched 4 years after the Skoda.

Thoughts on this Passat Blue Motion? I'm looking for something very economical - been on the lookout for a similarly priced Fluence Tom Tom but not many on the market at the moment.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-1-6-tdi-taxed-amp-tested/25908077

I’d give 1.6 TDI from that era a wide berth.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d give 1.6 TDI from that era a wide berth.

Thank you sir. I wasn't aware of these more economical Passats until I spotted it on donedeal earlier.

Putting a small 1.6 diesel engine in a heavy car like a Passat doesn't make them more economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Altbiz

Anyone have any experience dealing with Topline Motors in Finglas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marvster

Great first post and great thread. Now that I used some of the info in this thread to review/inspect an interesting car, I have a follow up question that some here might be able to help with.
    Seen a nice car 2,5 years old, online check showed car did not drive for 10 months. Dealer informs car was in stock all the time.
    One window shows a different E-number. This means (I think) this glass is replaced. It's on a door which also seems a little out-of-line with the other door. Dealer says car had no damage and did not know about this door/window and would ask the dealer he bought the car from for more info. I asked for maintenance book and would get that on email (don't have this yet). The online check did not show any damage reported by insurance companies.

Should I walk away from this car straight away? What are opinions here?

If car had a damaged door and it was properly fixed, I think I'd still be interested in the car. Or would that not be smart?

Many thanks for thoughts/advice from folks who know more about cars then I do.

Any link to the car's advert?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Any link to the car's advert?

Thanks for asking; I however don't seem to be able to post a link due to being a new user.

Some info here could help:
    Site is deerparkmotorsn11.com
    it's a grey VW Sharan from 2018 with 27,000 miles

L-M wrote: »
    There’s no VAT on used cars, it’s called VAT margin.

So there is VAT on 2nd hand products/cars, but the dealer can choose to only charge VAT on the difference between what he paid for the car and what he is selling for (the VAT margin scheme indeed).

I do not expect he would inform you what the 2% VAT difference is.

So if he bought car for EUR10,000 and he sells for EUR 13,000, the EUR 3,000 includes VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Marvster wrote: »
    Thanks for asking; I however don't seem to be able to post a link due to being a new user.

https://www.deerparkmotorsn11.com/car-details/?2615969/

I'm buying a 2016 Alhambra, same spec and mileage for €10k less including the VRT/NOx. The VW badge and the two years age difference would make a large difference in price but if I were you I'd look at the UK for a SEAT.

For example: https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-Seat-Alhambra-2-0-TDI-XCELLENCE-DSG-s-s-5dr-272746302?keywords=&make=27&model=1210&fuel_type=0&trans_type=2&age_from=2016&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&user_type=0&mileage_to=50000&body_style=0&keywords=&location%5B%5D=0&location%5B%5D=0&homepage_search_attr=1&tab_id=0&search_type=1

Over 3K saving possible.

Marvster wrote: »

There’s def something up with the door in terms of paint shade. It’s 99% there but def looks wrong to me.

Being frank, a dealer isn’t going to give you the answer you want in this scenario, either because he doesn’t know, doesn’t want to know, or doesn’t want to implicate himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

just wondering anyone give me some advice looking at a 1.4 corolla 1st proper car in my name, never bought a car no nothing about cars really and have no idea what to look out for.
    there are two that interest me so far
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-vvti-2006/26005832
    looks tidy, but messaged the seller and my gut did not like it, saying about the p0420 sensor surely that would fail NCT ? sister said it could have been paid off nct, since the car would eat fuel and wouldn't drive smoothly.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-toyota-corolla-1-4-d4d/25992630
    another one a bit modded i was planning of taking off some of the rims instead of those on it maybe the exhaust if i bought it, but very high mileage but i suppose it is an 05, that seems like the only problem.
    I have one relative although dont talk much who is good with cars if i planned to look at one of em should i bring them with me or a mechanic?
    just looking for a car for a year or two build up more NCB and buy something a bit bigger! any ideas fellas what would ye do?

First one will fail NCT on number plates and tinted front windows anyway.

If I were you I’d buy an unmodified Strata / Luna or the uk equivalent spec. They’re a smart enough looking car. I wouldn’t be buying a modified one anyway.

This Civic is worth a look at too, looks clean and is 2 years younger on the newer tax system:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-1-3-new-nct-tax-0621/25908562

Being sold by a dealer who has numerous other cars for sale on dd so you would need someone experienced with cars and buying them to come with you.

The 1.4 Civic is quite slow compared to the Corolla, insurance is a good bit higher too. They’re a great car though.

Looks good but has a heap of owners
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-strata-2005/26007605

Worth a look
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-2005-1-4-petrol-taxed-amp-new-nct/25985415

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

cheers guys for the help

i haven’t tried the civic actually gonna have a look now was gunning for the corolla since i got a really good quote insurance wise on it, plus the mother had one before as a temp for a few weeks seemed ok, ried the hatchback 1.5 civic nothing was thinking that anyways and a mx5(need a main for classic) the first add didn’t really seem genuine at all the 2nd one looks alright bar the miles. i think i should bring someone with me so thanks for that going to have a look at the civic 1.4 is probably the highest i could get insured under don’t think i’d go for anything much larger !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Car buyer.

Hi guys

I've bought a couple of cars on done deal previously

What do you need to watch for if the seller isn't the registered owner of the car

Obviously i'd prefer to buy off the owner ,thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hi guys.

Family recently got bigger (now 2 kids) so now am in the market for a 2nd car (1st is 2011 Auris 1.8 hybrid - great car, never a thing wrong with it!). Budget is in the €8-11k range. Looking for a crossover type for the height off the ground (bad roads locally) and space, did my test in the Auris so can only buy automatic. My daily commute is about 85 miles round trip so diesel would probably be best.

Currently looking at a Ford Kuga Titanium 2011, 140k miles, 4WD, 2.0 diesel, immaculate condition for about €8k.

Any thoughts on this or alternatives? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Peppa

Would appreciate some advice here on this car. It is a UK import bought from a dealer - current owner has it for about 2 yrs. I just want something reliable as I will have to pay for any repairs no matter how small as I know nothing about cars and will be ferrying kids around in this. I will pay mechanic to look at it before I buy and get an on-line a history/finance etc check but before I start to shell out money for all that is there anything that I should watch out for or thoughts on this make of car?

https://www.adverts.ie/car/citroen/c4-grand-picasso/2013-citroen-c4-grand-picasso/21719452

Great thread for someone like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

Any opinions on 28k being a fair price for this feller?
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/c-class/fpa/202008293083383?journey=Search

Is it a buyers market at the moment, will I be laughed off the forecourt if I offer much lower?

Price one from the uk for some perspective, VRT is quite small on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brady565678

I ran a history check on a car on done deal and it shows 4 previous UK owners but not a lot of info. It says o garage or private and 4 other owners. If the log book only shows one previous owner is that something to worry about or is it possible that the report is showing it moving from dealer to dealer?

• Advertisement

The Irish log book shows previous owners in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11 grennans2

Hi all,

Would appreciate any thoughts on the below car advertised on Done Deal. A 2017 VW Golf Mk7.5 with low mileage. However, it will have to go through VRT as seller is private and based in NI, and I would need to arrange VRT myself. The seler has estimated the VRT cost to be c. €2,500 on top of the advertised price.

Do you think this seems genuine?

donedeal.ie/adview/view/25571312

Thanks

Your link doesn't work, here it is:

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/25571312

Are you mad? The seller doesn’t even have any photos of the car, they got those photos online. And the add has been active 61 days and the add says they’re based in South Dublin not NI

But its a bargain and the Irish just love a bargain.

bazz26 wrote: »
    But its a bargain and the Irish just love a bargain.

It honestly beggars belief. Same with people handing over the hard earned money to these pop up garages.

You’d really have to wonder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement