Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Hope this is the right thread to discuss this.
    What is the feeling in the trade about diesel, is it time to give up on it.
    In other words are the green party going to really hit the road tax on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

antietam1 wrote: »
    Hope this is the right thread to discuss this.
    What is the feeling in the trade about diesel, is it time to give up on it.
    In other words are the green party going to really hit the road tax on them.

No. The only thing hit by the New system seems to be automatic jeeps, petrol and diesel alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Any thoughts on a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV like this (for example).

My commute is about 40 miles (so a few miles outside the claimed EV range) but I have a free charging point at work and always stop for coffee on the way home from work after night shift, which is about halfway through my journey and has a free charging point also.

The Outlander ticks all the boxes for me with regards to size, comfort and price, I am just wondering how reliable they are and are they worth getting.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

You should probably ask in the Mitsubishi Outlander thread in the EV section, you’d get better answers there

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057921572/1/#post108398925

L-M wrote: »
    No. The only thing hit by the New system seems to be automatic jeeps, petrol and diesel alike.

Thanks it's a Peugeot 2008 or perhaps a Skoda Fabia estate i am after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

antietam1 wrote: »
    Thanks it's a Peugeot 2008 or perhaps a Skoda Fabia estate i am after.

Don't buy an auto 2008. Its a horrible automated manual gearbox in these. Test drove a used one of these recently and it was a horrible drive because of the gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

User1998 wrote: »
    You should probably ask in the Mitsubishi Outlander thread in the EV section, you’d get better answers there

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057921572/1/#post108398925

Thanks, I didn't realize that existed.

Don't buy an auto 2008. Its a horrible automated manual gearbox in these. Test drove a used one of these recently and it was a horrible drive because of the gearbox.

Thanks, I never liked automatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mankteln

When buying from a dealer (let's say independent but warranty given) would you still try and get a different mechanic/garage to look the car over before buying?
    Always would try when buying private but wondering what people do when buying from a dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can depend on the reputation of the dealer, how long they have been in operation, the type of warranty they are providing (not just the length of it) and how competent you are knowing a good car when your viewing it. If you are totally clueless about cars or buying them then it's always prudent to get someone who knows their way around them to look one over before buying. A second set of eyes especially experienced ones can save you alot of time and hassle trying to get things fixed afterwards or get your money back.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Can depend on the reputation of the dealer, how long they have been in operation, the type of warranty they are providing (not just the length of it) and how competent you are knowing a good car when your viewing it. If you are totally clueless about cars or buying them then it's always prudent to get someone who knows their way around them to look one over before buying. A second set of eyes especially experienced ones can save you alot of time and hassle trying to get things fixed afterwards or get your money back.

Thanks that's good advice, I wouldn't be too inexperienced buying cars having bought plenty over the years but always private sale and if spending more than a few hundred I'd always get a mechanic to look it over. Might be difficult to arrange with one with the current restrictions but we'll see.
    Regarding the warranty I'm assuming you get them to specify in writing what will be covered?
    I was looking at a car other week and had a chat what he offered, made sure to check gearbox was covered as have heard stories of it being viewed as a "consumable" part on some warranties. Any other things to bear in mind with it?

Do background checks on the dealer also, at the end of the day the warranty is only as good as the dealer honoring it. See how long they are in business, etc.

Do background checks on the dealer also, at the end of the day the warranty is only as good as the dealer honoring it. See how long they are in business, etc.
    Yeah have seen plenty of "dealers" with no website/only mobile number and only Facebook page (few months old usually) and no to stay well away from them.
    One I'm looking at has been trading for 19 years according to carsireland. Mostly positive reviews online too, nobody giving out about warranties anyway which is encouraging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What garage is it?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What garage is it?

Martin Murphy in Nenagh.
    Haven't been in touch yet, just trying to do a bit of due diligence first!

Saw a Peugeot 2008 advertised as an Irish reg, when I went to look I could see the Yellow N.I plates still good value though. Anyhow are any of these warranty outfits any use.
    Have not had any experience with them recently.

mankteln wrote: »
    Martin Murphy in Nenagh.
    Haven't been in touch yet, just trying to do a bit of due diligence first!
    I think a lot of his stuff is rough enough.

Might be wronging him but I’m sure I bought a Land Cruiser off him years ago and have seen a few cars of his in the meantime.

I think a lot of his stuff is rough enough.

Might be wronging him but I’m sure I bought a Land Cruiser off him years ago and have seen a few cars of his in the meantime.

Yeah hadn't really looked at his other stock, this one came to my attention just because it fitted my search parameters. Can PM you it if you fancy a look, would be interested in any opinions.
    Have been shocked at that the state of some stock in a couple of dealers I've been to. Some brutal heaps in Al Hayes in Ennis and had a look out at Derek Considine's in Miltown malbay and most of the stuff was very shoddy and expensive.
    Could be that I'm too used to looking at private sales though and the type of value they give.

That’s the thing though, if you look at the cheapest ones, they’ll hardly be the best examples.

Some pretty bad stuff in Al Hayes alright.

Send a link on sure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm putting my 03 Corolla up for sale. It looks like a banger (a few scratches and dings and smudges) and needs a new clutch. Other than that its great, NCT'd til next year and everything else seems to be sound on it. I think it even has less than 100 miles on the clock.
    There's not a lot on the market that I can see that would help me gauge what price to put on it.
    Any idea's what would be a good price for this?

It would probably be a €750 car with a good clutch do I can only see it being worth €250 as-is.

Expect to get offers of €50 and a knackered iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26299553

Thoughts on the above car.

Nephew looking for one of these and this one caught his eye.

Looks a clean enough example.

Changed hands 20/10/20 suggests dealer picked up at an auction rather than a trade in?

Any alarm bells or things to watch out for or any experience of this dealership?

Would €7k be a cheeky bid?

Thanks in Advance

GT spec is way nicer, no point settling for a base model when theres so many GT’s out there. Great car tho, I had three of them

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It would probably be a €750 car with a good clutch do I can only see it being worth €250 as-is.
    Expect to get offers of €50 and a knackered iphone.

Cheers, I'm checking around with scrappage places to see how much they would offer for it now :)

• Advertisement

Less than 100 euro I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

User1998 wrote: »
    GT spec is way nicer, no point settling for a base model when theres so many GT’s out there. Great car tho, I had three of them

He’s only 20 years old, I think the GT Spec 170 might be higher on Insurance. Good shout I’ll get him to check it out.

Less than 100 euro I'd bet.

1 has been just above, another will inspect and will be between 25 - 250

He’s only 20 years old, I think the GT Spec 170 might be higher on Insurance. Good shout I’ll get him to check it out.

Most GT models are 140, very few are 170. Insurance on the 140 is grand, I had one aged 19/20

By grand, how many grand do you mean?

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly it was actually only a tad over a grand, had one those black box’s in the car tho

• Registered Users Posts: 11 grennans2

Hi all,

Could I ask for your thoughts on the below car?

donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-automatic-1-6d/26425677

Changed ownership in early October and the seller has two other cars up for sale on Done Deal. Should I be concerned by this? It is a Match edition VW according to Cartell

Thanks

I wouldn’t be concerned. The seller obviously sells cars for a living. Treat it like any other private sale. Do a history check and if it checks out get a mechanic to do a pre purchase inspection/diagnostic. Its most likely 59,000 miles not kilometres btw

Its a UK import so make sure to do a full and comprehensive history check on it as 59,000km on a nearly 5 year old UK diesel car being sold this side of the Irish sea for well below the going rate would be unusual. I'd want hard proof of the low mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Also the badging on the rear is incorrect (Wrong TDI a badge and Bluemotion badge shouldn’t be there) and as we say in the trade it’s throwing the drop well... ie well polished. Could be post bodywork.

It’s a very very fresh import also. First one I’ve seen over 60000.

I’m just going to take a punt and say it’s a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 grennans2

Ok thanks all, appreciate the advice. I had noticed the badge placement issue as well. Might take a pass on this one and keep on the look out elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

My son is looking for a car for around €5k, for a daily commute of around 30 miles. Any thoughts on this Octavia? Any other suggestions in the Clare/Limerick/Tipp area woukd be greatly welcomed. (I've been roped in to help as his current car bombed out this evening.)

Personally I’d pass over a 1.6 TDI of that vintage.
    Seller is well established and was a Seat main dealer back in the day.

I’d look at a Kia Ceed/Hyundai i30 instead if he’s going for a small diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Buying a used car. Nearly 3 years.
    Getting 2550 on trade in. I reckon, it's fair enough: 09' Fabia 1.4 hatch, Ambiente, 118k kms, NCT up in March, unique colour (ye all know it, won't mention it again). Do you think, it's ok value too?
    If I think about a private sale, I won't much more than that.
    I'm a bit reluctant making the change. It has served me well, everything works on it, bit of a squeak from the front (it's the soft bushings going), clutch release bearing making noise sometimes, chips on bonnet, one on windscreen but it's a 12 year old car.
    Having the old itch doesn't help. :-)

Keep in mind if you’ll get the same for the trade in privately then you’re basically paying full asking for the newer car.

I’d be curious to see what one would buy the car for if the Fabia wasn’t in the equation...

What you going buying?

• Advertisement

What you going buying?

Looking at one of the well specced Seat Ibizas. After you have successfully put me off an another Fabia.

I'm still not sure how many people would be interested in buying a banana coloured car. But you've given me "a sobering punch" that I've missed out on asking how much it'd be without trade in! :rolleyes:

It needs to be added: road tax is due end of Jan, NCT is on extension until March, so it is not that clear cut case.

Focus on the cost to change price rather than what they are giving you for your old car. It's very easy for a dealer to inflate a trade in price when the car you are buying is overpriced to compensate for it.

Asking price 17k, and I know , they have had it for sale for 8 months now. I'm not a pro bargainer (english my 2nd language too) but they won't budge more, last price is 2.6k off with my one. This price had been dropped already by 1k before I put my interest in. So knowing this as well, not really expecting much more.

A dealer sitting on stock like an Ibiza for 8 months either tells me there is something wrong with the car or they have it ridiculously overpriced. Ibizas are not hard cars to sell.

You need to find another similar car being sold by a different dealer or two and see what sort of money they want their way with your old car. You need a base of reference and comparison to know if it's a good price or not.

Yes, it's dearer than the average because it's the rare version, the 1.5. I've seen 2 examples going, they weren't up for sale too long, gone in 1-2 months. Can't comparison, bazz, there is one in the country, I'm a b1tch for picking rare cars. ;-) The dealer offering 12 month warranty with.

Ref your own ad, here’s what you’re up against.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-skoda-fabia/26615474

My earlier point was to see what you’d buy the Ibiza for straight as it may be overpriced.

The car is a grand less buying straight, so I would be getting fifteen hundred for my one, after everything taken into account. I tried others before and offered less than this, and the advertised car was in the same price bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

mankteln wrote: »
    When buying from a dealer (let's say independent but warranty given) would you still try and get a different mechanic/garage to look the car over before buying?
    Always would try when buying private but wondering what people do when buying from a dealer?

Get an engineers report before buying, I'm currently about to go to arbitration with a "reputable dealer" who sold Me a 151 Hyandai I40 with full service history and one owner.

What the service history never told me was the engine manifold and radiator was literally melted by the previous owner, and that one owner was a lease company. These guys bought it in auction, threw it up on the fore court and sold it on. Then tried to say I caused the problems. The replacement engine they put in lasted a month, and they wouldn't give me the reg of the replacement engine so I could verify the mileage.

Only I had the service history book, I rang the garage that had there stamp in the history book and asked had they any notes on the car from there servicing of it. The told the previous owner the head gasket and radiator were beyond economical repair.

The garage also accused me of damaging the bodywork, so I rang the lease company that had originally owned the car and asked had they any photos of the car, and they sent me some showing the damage to the bodywork the garage accused me of had been there before I ever bought the car.

So I would definitely spend the 250 euros or so for an engineers report, and save yourself 13 months of misery dealing with cowboys, and about 17 thousand euro in the hole so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lorcanfarrell

Hi folks,

Looking to harness your collective knowledge. My 03 yaris with 200k miles is reaching the end and with kid here and more on the way hopefully we're looking to upgrade to something newer and bigger, preferably an estate. I'm an aul farmer by heart so reliability and practicality are the key considerations. We've always had Toyotas in the family/extended family and they've been lucky for everyone of us who've owned one so I naturally feel more comfortable with them than switching brand but am open to what others experience has been. I've been looking at Auris estate, Avensis estate, Octavia Estate and i40 Estate. The wife hates diesel so looking for petrol ideally. Looking to spend 10-15k to get something reliable to last as long as the Yaris has. What do yo think?

Advertisement