Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning Heathers, Cutting Turf

• 04-03-2011 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello,

I'm looking for people who burn heathers and cut turf in the traditional way. I'm a documentary photographer and I'm interested in photographing this dying trend. I'm aware that many people are now restricted from cutting their turf banks and so i'm also interested in hearing from them. If any of you are interested in telling me about your turf-life, your family's turf-life and your turf cutting experiences, please email me and i'll get back to you with a few short questions.

Many thanks for your help,
    Jean

P.S. I've heard there was a meeting in Roscommon in January about the turf cutting restrictions and that over 2,000 people attended. Does anyone know who organised this meeting and how I could possibly get in touch with them? Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

http://www.lukemingflanagan.ie/

Contact luke through his website. He is the chairman of the turfcutters association and was recently elected as a td. He'l be delighted to help you!!
    He organised the meeting in Roscommon a few weeks back.

jean419 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm looking for people who burn heathers and cut turf in the traditional way. I'm a documentary photographer and I'm interested in photographing this dying trend. I'm aware that many people are now restricted from cutting their turf banks and so i'm also interested in hearing from them. If any of you are interested in telling me about your turf-life, your family's turf-life and your turf cutting experiences, please email me and i'll get back to you with a few short questions.

Many thanks for your help,
    Jean

P.S. I've heard there was a meeting in Roscommon in January about the turf cutting restrictions and that over 2,000 people attended. Does anyone know who organised this meeting and how I could possibly get in touch with them? Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 trevor_matode

Meet was in Hodson Bay Hotel (in case you want to find reports online) and I have never seen the area so jammed with vehicles. The gaurds had to be there to wave everyone out onto the N61 to Roscommon after. I didn't attend though, just happened to be at the hotel.

Some turf-cutting is still the ancient "saving turf" but mostly it's machine-harvesting as much as you can for sale cash-in-hand.
    Going rate (I'm in E Galway) for a "ton-bag" i.e. cubic metre bag of turf is €50 plus VAT plus the carbon tax (ha ha ha.)

You might be interested to photograph the different styles of hand-ricking the turf this summer. That would be worth recording.
    I believe they do it different in the midlands.

Try and get photos of a "sausage machine" in action too, some sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It's not just his own turf that 'Luke Ming' is burning.
    The law can't exactly stand by and let him grow his own. He could regret saying that yet.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

pakalasa wrote: »
    It's not just his own turf that 'Luke Ming' is burning.
    The law can't exactly stand by and let him grow his own. He could regret saying that yet.:D

I agree. He has some great policies and is a hard worker but he just won't get the respect that he deserves because of the drug thing.

Advertisement