Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Songs from Allah

• 04-03-2011 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

This may seem like a funny question but do any of you know of stories of song from Allah in the Koran?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So you mean religous music?

Here is an example of Qawwali's:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3749437580626161213#

That is religous music from the Sufi tradition of Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Bus77II

wes wrote: »
    So you mean religous music?

No, more direct stories. But that looked like a good time they were having.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Bus77II wrote: »
    No, more direct stories. But that looked like a good time they were having.:)

Well the Koran has lyrical quality to it (in the original Arabic), which is like poetry, but I can't really think of any songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Irish_Muslim

I think a song is basically poetry (or even better text) recited in a melodious voice. Songs can express emotions, mention the history, be inspirational and motivational etc.

All this is found in the Quran. And yes I agree with WES that Quran has lyrical quality. If you can read Arabic and you read the Surah Rahman (Chapter : The Merciful God) you will that its full of lyrics and melody

Transliteration of Surah Rahman verses:

Ar-Rahmaan
    Allamal Quraan
    Khalaq al Insaan
    Allama hul Bayaan
    Ashamsu Wal Qamaru Bihusbaan
    Wannajmu Wasshajaru Yasjudaan
    Wassamaa a Rafa ahaa Wal Mizaan
    Wal Arda wa da ahaa lil anaam

Notice the poetic and lyrical style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Surah Rahman also contains the verse, repeated 31 times, "Fabi'ayyi aalaa'i Rabbikuma tukadhibaan", which could be translated as "Which of the favours of the Lord will you deny?"

A particularly lyrical surah is number 81, Surat at-Takwir. This has three rhyme schemes. Verses 1 to 14 end in an "-at" sound, usually with a "soft" consonant such as "r" or "l" ("-rat" or "-lat"). In these verses, various events associated with the "last hour" are listed. The next four verses (15-18) all end in an "-as" sound. These verses take the form of an oath or affirmation, where the stars, planets, night and day are called as witnesses to the veracity of the Messenger who has communicated the Qur'an. The remaining verses (19-24) generally end in "-een"/"-eem" sounds, and provide confirmation that the Messenger is trustworthy, not mad, so that the revelation he communicates is worthy of belief. So the changing rhyme scheme identifies shifts in the "argument" of the surah.

• Advertisement

We can not say these are songs, these are just the messages from God to mankind.

Welcome to the Islam Forum, and thanks for your comment here and on other threads.

Last night, I was watching an interesting video on YouTube from the US teacher Nouman Ali Khan, and one of the points he makes is that poetry was the supreme art form of the Arabian civilisation in the late 6th/early 7th centuries CE, making the Arabic language a particularly refined and subtle one. Khan warns against regarding the Qur'an as "poetry" because this, in his view, can tend to diminish what he regards as the particular beauty and majesty of the Arabic used in the Qur'an. He points out that "poet" was one of the dismissive names given to Muhammad by the polytheists. Khan also refers in passing to the challenge to the polytheists in Surah al-Baqarah 2:23 to bring forth a single sura comparable to the Qur'an, something discussed recently in another thread in this Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mickol

Allah's Greatest Hits maybe or Now thats what I call Islam 88

oops suspension on the way ....humour is prohibited

mickol wrote: »
    Allah's Greatest Hits maybe or Now thats what I call Islam 88

oops suspension on the way ....humour is prohibited

Well I just read it as. ''I like the thread but don't quite know what to offer'' I do it sometimes myself. :)

Bus77II wrote: »
    Well I just read it as. ''I like the thread but don't quite know what to offer'' I do it sometimes myself. :)

As one of the moderators, I'd rather have people posting in the forum than no comments at all. This forum is not a humour-free zone - I just ask people to remember the charter and use humour sensitively. :)

By the way, when I began posting in the forum back in 2007, I included in the Resources thread a link to a very good site providing access to hundreds of recitations of the Qur'an and various prayers and other recitations:

http://english.islamway.com/

The link will take you to an index page sorted by surahs, and to get a flavour of the different recitations, I suggest you choose one of the shorter and better-known surahs such as al-Fatiha (number 1) or al-Ikhlas (number 112), or if you have more time one of the more poetic such as ar-Rahman (number 55 - around eight minutes), or at-Takwir (number 81 - around two minutes). Click on the name of the surah, and this takes you to a list of the reciters (often several hundred names). Select a reciter and click on the MP3 or RM button - this opens a new window and you can hear the recitation.

The IslamWay Radio site is particularly useful because it contains recitations following the less common styles (most recitations follow the Hafs reading of the Qur'an, but there are several other recognised readings, including the Warsh reading).

Many Nasheeds are based on prayers (including words spoken as part of the regular salaat prayers) or on kalimat - basic sentences or testimonies containing core Islamic beliefs. For example, the South African Nasheed artist Zain Bhikha has recorded a version of the Kalimat at-tamjeed:

Subhāna-llāhi, wa-l-hamdu li-llāhi, wa lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa-llāhu akbar. Wa lā hawla wa lā quwwata illā bi-llāhi-l-ʿaliyyi-l-ʿazīm.

In English translation: Glory be to Allah and Praise to Allah, and there is none worthy of worship but Allah, and Allah is the Greatest. And there is no might or power except with Allah, the Exalted, the Great One.

Here is a YouTube recording (sadly this has been truncated) of this Nasheed:

Many thanks Hivizman. Especially for the easy example I could follow. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement