Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How cold is the water now(tramore)?

Options
  • 04-03-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Silly question I know but I started surfing last year and surfed up until end of October(started to get cold hands then).

How different is the water temp now than what it was back then? I'll be doing all my surfing in tramore btw.

I'm itching to get back in the water and since the sun has started peeking out again I'm thinking its about the right time.

I have a 5/3 suit but no gloves or hood. I've no problem buying those if it means I'll get into the water again and be comfortable and warm.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The water is at it's coldest this time of year but I manage without gloves, I have 6mm suit with a hood though. You'd be fine with a 5/3 and a hood I reckon. Since the weather is a bit warmer its not so bad, few of my mates manage without hoods so you'd get by I reckon. Man up! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I reckon I'll buy a hood and gloves just to be sure. And paddle harder when I do get into the water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

I was out last Saturday at Lahinch, spent a nice hour and a half out there.
    Decent booties, a decent suit and any old gloves are all you need for the winter months.

I got a 2010 O'Neill Psycho 2 off the web for ~€240.
    Best investment ever, my old suit had small holes everywhere in it and I found it hard to stay in the water for more than 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

You won't get much surfing in Tramore for the next week anyway... The surf shop there rents hood and gloves, €2.50 a pop or something if you find it too cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I've been out in Tramore over the winter months (last time I was out was last week I think? Whenever the last semi-surfable swell was in anyway) with a 6/5/4 hooded suit, and booties, but no gloves.

Find it absolutely grand TBH, the only time you really feel the cold is if you get an unexpected flush down your wetsuit :) I find my hands are cold for about 3-4 mins when I go out first, then they're fine after that, and I suffer something fierce with cold hands/feet in general even when not dunked in icy water.

I'd definitely invest in a hood, though, saves you from that "arrgh ice-cream headache" feeling when the first wave hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

I've been out all winter in a 5/4/3 with gloves boots and hood and found it grand until the 2hr mark,then things got numb.Got fooled the other day with the sunshine and opted for just the boots.That first dunking will live on long in my memory!!!I fear i might have screamed.the start of manning up is fraught with pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Thanks for the replies lads. I'll definitely get a hood and gloves before I hit the water again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I've rented a winter wet suit with a hood for the first time three weeks ago and lasted in water longer than in summer wet suit in September. So comfy!

Advertisement