Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnetic Tile Access Panel Kit

• 04-03-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

Looking for a set of magnets that can be attached to tiles or ply so it will act as a tiled access panel on the end of the bath

similar to this but need to get it this weekend and cant really wait for delivery via Amazon or Ebay http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IWVCUI/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2WE5EE8I6DA44
    Anyone know where I can purchase one of these kits in the Cork area? Tiler says they are used a lot in commercial builds and we plan on having a panel at the end of the bath which we can remove and store loo roll, cleaning products etc. Would also provide access in case we need to get at the plumbing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can't help for this weekend but I ordered mine from Schluter in the North through a local tile shop.
    Try asking some suppliers that deal with Schluter and see if they carry the Rema magnetic catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thats cool. I never saw that before. I usually just get people to screw a panel on and tile over it. I get them to store 4 tiles or so in the hole incase they break one on the panel when taking off.

I used mine on the bath panel, I wanted to be able to get to the waste trap if I needed to.
    Silicone the edge of the panel to seal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I will check some tile shops this weekend and post back here with results - sounds like a great idea as we will be taking the panel off a good bit as the little area is going to be used to store stuff out of eyesight - I might even post photos if it turns out well (if its crap then I will just pretend that it wasn't my idea in the first place):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sometimes the simplest idea is also the best idea.

Thats is a brilliant idea for an access panel.:)

I want one.

• Advertisement

OK so at last I got to set up this tile but alas the magnets were a non runner - they were hard to source so in the end we went with some hinges. It really is great and you wouldn't even know there is a little cubby hole under the bath for stuff.
    I will take some pics over the weekend and post them here for all to see

Pictures of the handy work
    I still need to paint the edge of the access panel tile white as you can see the bit of red around the edges if you look close.
    We are really happy with it

see pics here http://imgur.com/a/N9yqn

Nice job, could you have used a different knob, something rectangular maybe?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nice job, could you have used a different knob, something rectangular maybe?

Yes well spotted!:D
    Thats a temporary job and we are looking for the perfect door knob. We have spotted some but want to try to match the door hangers we have on the back of the bathroom door so still looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its a lovely job and the tile hides it well. I like the idea that its storage. Another type of lock i would use is the push hindge where you have no handle at all.

However you would be surprised at the amount of people that would not want it. I have no pictures to show but what we did was simply screw a panel of tiles on to the bath and seal around the edges. Then you removed the screws and poped the panel off should you need to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement