Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Commute - Clongriffin to Leopardstown Racecourse

Options
  • 04-03-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently moved house and i am facing a new commute. I am ditching the car as its just getting to expensive and back on the bike.

I have been looking on the best way from getting to Clongriffin to Leopardstown (racecourse) and I think the best way is down the Malahide Rd, to East wall and then up the N11.

The thing is I have heard that the cycle ways are in bits on the N11 ? Is that true ? and if so any tips in dealing with this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I use Sandford, goatstown road instead of the N11 as the cycle lane is on the road and is good surface.

N11 is in bits in places and there is a lot of traffic crossing the cycle lane when turning left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Id look into a folding bike and getting the LUAS. Thats a fair distance to be going to work, IMO at least a 2 hr cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Live not too far from yerself and if going UCD direction I'd cross the East link, down coast road and turn up at Booterstown to N11
    Traffic should be less erratic this way than through town. Best thing is to suck it and see?
    kona wrote: »
    Id look into a folding bike and getting the LUAS. Thats a fair distance to be going to work, IMO at least a 2 hr cycle.

At about 13 miles it's not thaaaat far. With the prevailing wind you'll be home in well under an hour. 45 mins on a good windy day.
    Hope there's showers as you'll be sweating like a pregnant nun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I make it 20klm from Clongriffin to Leopardstown. IMO Not a bad commuting distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

East Link, Coast Road to Merrion Gates, Rock Road, through Blackrock, up Temple Hill, turn right onto Newtownpark Avenue and onto the Leopardstown Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

At about 13 miles it's not thaaaat far. With the prevailing wind you'll be home in well under an hour. 45 mins on a good windy day.
    Hope there's showers as you'll be sweating like a pregnant nun:D

Not to be smart but if the wind is behind you on the way back, its in your face on the way in.
    As lovely as the cycle can be in the summer, I wouldnt fancy it at all in the winter, especially after work.

Each to their own I suppose, but that distance IMO is outside the commuting range, you need more changes of clothes, showers, more food etc. Ive no doubt people do it, but Id imagine these people are the same that go for a 100k spin at the weekend and consider it short :)

I prefer to make life easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

thanks for all the input !

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

greenplain wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently moved house and i am facing a new commute. I am ditching the car as its just getting to expensive and back on the bike.

I have been looking on the best way from getting to Clongriffin to Leopardstown (racecourse) and I think the best way is down the Malahide Rd, to East wall and then up the N11.

The thing is I have heard that the cycle ways are in bits on the N11 ? Is that true ? and if so any tips in dealing with this ?

I live close to Clongriffen and work in Ballsbridge. My only tip would be to use the Sutton/ Clontarf cycle path (accessed via Kilbarrack Rd) instead of the Malahide Rd. Slightly longer disntance but infinitely better trip. Also East Wall rd is in very bad condition. I cross the Liffey at the Samuel Beckett bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Hi, I'm considering doing this commute, what route did u take? How long does it take you?

sorry for opening up an old thread but its the same commute!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

daragh_ wrote: »
    East Link, Coast Road to Merrion Gates, Rock Road, through Blackrock, up Temple Hill, turn right onto Newtownpark Avenue and onto the Leopardstown Road.

Newtownpark Avenue is a pain. I'd go through Ballsbridge and right at Vincents

Didnt realize this was a zombie thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

daragh_ wrote: »

^^^

I'm not too far from you, but I head towards the Phoenix Park.

From Clongriffin I'd go down the Sutton/Clontarf cycle path. That takes you right down to the East Link and then join the route Daragh suggests.

Sutton to the East Link is a nice cycle with good cycle lanes and nice views.

In the summer the temptation is always there then to take a quick sprint up & over Howth head on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

godtabh wrote: »
    Newtownpark Avenue is a pain. I'd go through Ballsbridge and right at Vincents

Didnt realize this was a zombie thread

Crap, didn't did I. Sorry thread.

Advertisement