Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best kebab in dublin

18910111214»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Falafel just a few doors down is far superior.

Falafel use rocket leaves as their salad, it's not so great if you can't abide the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Fairview Grill or Embassy in Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'm always amazed that Zaytoon advertise themselves as healthy food. I don't think kebabs are exactly healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Galadriel wrote: »
    Has any tried Reyna on Dame Street? all the reviews seem great, but the problem is I don't think kebabs really travel well when getting them delivered.

Dressed my kebab without asking me what I wanted on it. Never had this happen anywhere, standard practice is to throw the meat on the bread and dress it to instruction.

After picking out the stuff I never wanted, I didn't find the meat particularly great. P4F I also found very mediocre, scabby portion, meat a bit stringy. Really don't understand the hype around it.

There is a top class kebab joint at The Square in Tallaght, at the Square car park near McDonalds. Delicious, filling and a steal at only 6.50 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dressed my kebab without asking me what I wanted on it. Never had this happen anywhere, standard practice is to throw the meat on the bread and dress it to instruction.

After picking out the stuff I never wanted, I didn't find the meat particularly great. P4F I also found very mediocre, scabby portion, meat a bit stringy. Really don't understand the hype around it.

There is a top class kebab joint at The Square in Tallaght, at the Square car park near McDonalds. Delicious, filling and a steal at only 6.50 or so.

So just coming in on the sauce issue

In Irish places they usually will “dress” the kebab with a creamy/mild garlic sauce and an orange chili type of sauce. that’s sorta like the default serving.

That’s the usual thing in Ireland anyway - now when you say you expected they would “dress it to instruction” - I’ve seen ppl tell the cashier when ordering if they want the sauces or not(or even just 1 sauce/extra sauce)...

I would humbly suggest that’s what you should do next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Indeed. Its called momos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Had a kebab from Multi Flavour in the Coombe last night on my way home from the pub, for a €6 kebab it was more than decent. Had the chicken shawarma, think the guys in their are Indian and the chicken was tandoori, but it was great. Proper bread as well, definitely better than the standard chipper kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Finally got to sample Reyna last week. I was convinced this place was up off Georges's street and took a long walk looking around there for it. It's in the same old location as Iskanders. And what I wanted to find out was if they kept the same spice mix they used to use in Iskanders, and the answer is they have!

Happy days, less greasy than the old Iskanders. They have little branded accessory packs now with knives and forks and wipes, similar to what you would get with an airline's meal. Great, glad it is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭bassy

smello,s near croke park

Zombie kebab thread resurrection...

Went to P4F on clanbrassil st the last day, for the first time in about a year. Kebabs are now €12, but the increase in price is not reflected in the quality of kebab, it was a sloppy mess and had a miserly amount of meat in it. Definitely not the go-to place for kebabs anymore, it was handy for me as I am not too far away.

Never got to Reyna, will give that a go next. Wish I lived closer to Yeeros, their pork gyros is quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The Gyros from Yeeros in Drumcondra are indeed superb. They travel well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Turkish kebab house , huge kebab , chips and a drink for 8 quid. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Momo's just beside the Square was excellent, and unbelievable value, but the new boy in town in Baxto's, just on that strip of takeaways between Belgard Road and the Square. First class stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

12 squid for a kebab 😨😵

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Was there a while back and it was dirt.

Bland meat especially the chicken. Not one bit of flavour from anything. Bread was like a pizza base, just a big lump of crispy crust. No floppage in it.

Could have been a bad night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I ate from both Momos and Baxtos in the last 3 weeks. Momos still alright but you can no longer sit down in there so had to order it as take away, they serve it in take away trays with all the meat, salad, bread and sauces separated and you put it together yourself at home. Good idea I thought as kebabs dont travel well and the bread breaks with the sauce soaking into it. I put it together and flashed it in the microwave for 40 seconds but the bread broke on it anyway and it was tricky to eat. Still was alright though I wouldnt rave about it either. Still reasonable in price there despite an increase, doner meal with chips and a can was a tenner iirc

And then Baxtos was a much better kebab though I did eat in for that one so it was fresh as. It was very tasty and better than Momos But at 13 euro for just a lamb shish kebab I wouldnt consider it value for money. A portion of chips cost me 5 euro and a can of coke 2 euro so it was 20 euro all up. I did enjoy it but figuered if you are spending 20 euro on eating out then there are better options out there. 20 euro for me is the price point of pub grub or casual dining with table service and nice surroundings. Whereas this was a take away with tables next to a shopping centre car park. If they had a meal deal or something that took it down by a few euro Id go back but otherwise I wont be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Reyna has moved slowly but surely towards the top of my list. The old Iskanders on Dame St.

The sit in or take out is done with a deft hand and for my money the best this side of Cologne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Passion4Food has gone ridiculously expensive, and I hate having to hover over them when they're skimping on the salads to urge them to add extra this and that. The fcuking kebab is 17 euro FFS (twin shish), so stop skimping on the portions of a bit of stuff that costs FA 😡. I used to get it at least once a week, but now I'm getting it about once a fortnight, begrudgingly.

It's a shame that Passion4Food seems to have gone downhill. I used to love that place, and would have rated it as being up there with the sort of places you find in Germany or Austria. I don't mind a kebab being expensive; there's quite a bit of work and ingredients involved, and I'd never expect a good place to be competing on price with the likes of McDonald's or the local Chinese takeaway.

Tried Yeeros in Drumcondra recently. Greek restaurant. The kebab was gyros style, and absolutely delicious. A big beast as well for the price.

Had Reyna earlier, it was pretty good, wrapped up for a tenner if a bit small. The bread and taste was excellent, only negatives was skimping on the meat.

tenner for a kebab seems the new benchmark, was 10 in reyna, think its a tenner in zaytoon and p4f with their crazy 12 quid for a sloppy mess.

Need to get northside to pasha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement