Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*5th Year Economics*

• 04-03-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

I'm in 5th year doing Economics by myself and am just wondering where the other 5th years are in terms of covering the course. Have you done many exam Q's etc?. Just wondering because I just want to have a knowledge of how much I should be doing etc.

I started in Janurary and have covered

Micro-Economics
    • The Consumer and Utility
    • Introduction to Economics
    • Supply and Demand
    • Elasticity
    Macro-Economics
    • Population
    • Economic Growth and Development
    • The E.U
    • Inflation
    • Exchange Rates
    I did one Population and Unemployment exam question (2003 Q.7) and scored 68/75 in that. So if anyone has any tips/comments feel free to share them! :D Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

law of comparative advantage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

BOHtox wrote: »
    law of comparative advantage!
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage

usually comes up. study it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 theendpoint

The Law of Comparative Advantage comes under the International Trade section, there's no point in studying the law in a vacuum, you should wait until you decide to study the International Trade section.

I'm in 6th year and we finished in November (even though we have terrible teacher who will come for at most four of five classes in a week), so you should have plenty of time to cover the course. In relation to what we covered in 5th year, I can't quite remember what we had covered by last June because I don't have my Economics book at home with me this weekend. I'd advise you to maybe try and have all of the Micro section covered by the end of the year, that way you're guaranteed to be able to answer at least two of the four long questions. The Chief Examiner has stated that there will always be a market structure question and a factor of production question, so if you were to know those two sections very well for the end of this year, it will be a lot of pressure off for next year. When studying the market structures, practice drawing the various graphs until you know them perfectly (they're actually quite easy). You seem to have covered quite a bit already, so as long as you keep on top of it all, you shouldn't have any problems!

The Law of Comparative Advantage comes under the International Trade section, there's no point in studying the law in a vacuum, you should wait until you decide to study the International Trade section.

I'm in 6th year and we finished in November (even though we have terrible teacher who will come for at most four of five classes in a week), so you should have plenty of time to cover the course. In relation to what we covered in 5th year, I can't quite remember what we had covered by last June because I don't have my Economics book at home with me this weekend. I'd advise you to maybe try and have all of the Micro section covered by the end of the year, that way you're guaranteed to be able to answer at least two of the four long questions. The Chief Examiner has stated that there will always be a market structure question and a factor of production question, so if you were to know those two sections very well for the end of this year, it will be a lot of pressure off for next year. When studying the market structures, practice drawing the various graphs until you know them perfectly (they're actually quite easy). You seem to have covered quite a bit already, so as long as you keep on top of it all, you shouldn't have any problems!
    Thanks so much! Is it definite that a Factor of Production will appear every year? Looking through the exam papers I noticed one didn't come up in 2003 i think! Yeah i'm going to learn the 4 factors of production next and maybe International Trade.. Any hints for a good B in Economics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 theendpoint

In 2003, Q4 was a factor question (Land and Labour). I don't want to tell you that it's that it's a guaranteed question, but I suppose it's pretty similar to the claims that a woman poet will come up every year in English, you wouldn't want to bank on it, but you could place good money on it.

In relation to getting a good B, I'm not the most qualified to give advice on grades just yet, but we'll see when I get my pre back how well I fared!

What you could do, if you haven't already done so, is read the Chief Examiner's reports on the Economics paper. They show the breakdown of grades and there's some useful information on pitfalls to avoid:

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/LC_Economics_2009.pdf
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_1999/lc_economics_99_er.pdf
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2005/ChiefExaminerReportEconomics2005.pdf
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2002/LCEEconomics02.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

Hey,
    You're doing very well. That's a good chunk of the course you've got done. Keep it up! I'm in fourth year of a degree in Economics. I also give grinds in it to LC students. If you've any specific queries feel free to ask....

Hey,
    You're doing very well. That's a good chunk of the course you've got done. Keep it up! I'm in fourth year of a degree in Economics. I also give grinds in it to LC students. If you've any specific queries feel free to ask....
    Thanks John Sugrue! I'm considering working over the summer (maybe a chapter a week) to get the course finished before I go back to 6th year so I can revise every week and do exam papers all throughout Leaving Cert. Would you consider this a good idea?.

Thanks John Sugrue! I'm considering working over the summer (maybe a chapter a week) to get the course finished before I go back to 6th year so I can revise every week and do exam papers all throughout Leaving Cert. Would you consider this a good idea?.

Absolutely. You'll have plenty to be doing in 6th year so having the bulk of the work done for Econs wouldn't hurt. Just don't overdo it and burn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

It looks l;ike you've covered tons in the amount of time you've been doing. I would recommend doing the rest of Micro section first, that's the way we did it in 5th year and it worked out well.

• Advertisement

Aoifey! wrote: »
    It looks l;ike you've covered tons in the amount of time you've been doing. I would recommend doing the rest of Micro section first, that's the way we did it in 5th year and it worked out well.
    Thanks! Yeah i'm gonna focus on The Factors of Production for the next 2 weeks or so then Costs etc. Then I only have the Market structures to do and i'm finished the Micro!

Make sure you do every past exam question you can find. The book wont prepare you for the way you have to answer the questions etc

Thanks guys! I'm trying to decide between doing History of Economics Thought and Money this week or Factors of Production.. Anyone any advice?

Id do Money. Its quite tough. Get str8 into it!

Advertisement