Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast-Food cooking question

Options
  • 04-03-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

What is it that the cooks in these places do wrong when your food comes soaked in oil?

I hear that sometimes french-fries might be re-heated causing them to firm up and soak extra oil, but I'm referreing freshly cooked food. I don't over indulge in fast-food, but I can't tell you how many times I've ordered from different places only to get the food dripping and soaked, it's discusting to open the bun on your burger and pinch it to watch it ooze out, same with french fries. Last week my partner and I where seated in a very popular American themed resturaunt in Dublin, same crack, burger was dripping and thick with oil, she called the manager to complain only to have the manager ask "so what's the problem?" ... ****ing discusting, we left.

Yeah, I can hear you all now "SO DON'T EAT FAST FOOD IF IT BOTHERES YOU SOOOO MUCH" & "WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?" - but this bad cooking should be avoided.

This does not seem to bother anyone else, I don't know if they know or check their food before-hand or if they'd even care...

Why does this oil horror happen:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

A lot of the time if you can taste the oil and it's all coated in it it means the oil needs to be changed, which a lot of places are a bit slow about, laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

If it's a very strong taste of oil, chances are it's not being changed often enough, as the poster above has said.

If it's that the food itself seems to have absorbed an awful lot of oil, it's because the oil wasn't hot enough to cook the food quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

If the chips are very oily the chances are the fryer is not hot enough so the chips soak it up instead of the oil sealing them
    Oily burgers can be caused by the same thing, ie the grill not hot enough to seal the outside or it my be an inferior type of mince they are using( presuming they are making them fresh) with too high a fat content. Ideally fat content in a burger should be 16 to 18 %. Anything less they tend to be very dry, anything more they shrink like hell and can be very fatty.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Dont they pre fry chips and the like then pop them back in to reheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The oil is not hot enough to cook the food and hence the food absorbs it rather than fries.

I have also heard places cook burgers in advance, zap them in a microwave and dip them in oil so they don't seem so dry:eek:.

Alsp they may use very fatty burgers so the fat melts as they cook hence the mouthful of fat.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement