Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamma harness

• 04-03-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know I've been posting on this forum for a while, but rewiring my machine for the 1st time requires some questions most of you will find very noob-ish :)

So I have a 6 button cabinet (which included a kick harness), but after rewiring all the buttons I now only have 3 working buttons for each player. In my naivety I assumed that the kick harness only worked for 1 button (I know, what an idiot) as I thought Jamma could only support up to 5. Now that I have seen the light I know that the kick harness works the last 3 buttons on the cab. So my question now is this ... how the hell do I play even 4 player neo geo games on my gamebox with my harness ...?

My only choice at this point seems to be buying a new Jamma harness, would I be right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't know about your multiboard, but standard Neo Geo boards pull the 4th button from the JAMMA harness. No kick harness needed for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jamma provides a 4th button as standard, the SF2 kick harness gets it from the SF2 board though so some games are slightly different. But buttons 1-4 are definietly catered for in the harness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

actually, now that you mention it o1s1n I did play 4 player neo geo games on the cab before (but I couldn't remember if I used the kick harness on it or not on the mvs slot). There's obviously a wire for a 4th button for each player somewhere, I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Master of the Universe

Button 4 (or button D as it's known) is linked up to pin 25 on the JAMMA harness. So just find pin 25 on the harness and you'll find the correct wire.

edit - here's a pinout diagaram for you, pretty useful -

www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

here's a photo of my harness. Doesn't seem to have the 4th button wired ... how did I play those 4 button neo geo games though??? :confused:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That's weird! You must be remembering wrong so. Unless someone came in during the night and desoldered wire 25! :D

What Neo Geo games were you playing?

Hygro wrote: »
    here's a photo of my harness. Doesn't seem to have the 4th button wired ... how did I play those 4 button neo geo games though??? :confused:

You'll need to add the wire yourself so, is that a made up jamma harness or something? I've never seen one with pins intentionally left out.

feckin hell, wrote a nice post in response but I got logged out for some reason and lost it all!!! :mad:

o1sin I played KOF, fatal fury, shock troopers and a few others on the cabinet.
    I couldn't be losing my mind ... could I? :eek:

enternow, yeah I'm stumped about the harness ... I guess that someone just made it up back in the day and didn't bother wiring up the 4th button (That or it was originally made for a 3 button cab and then they threw it into the 6 button cab.)

Master of the Universe

Hygro wrote: »

o1sin I played KOF, fatal fury, shock troopers and a few others on the cabinet.
    I couldn't be losing my mind ... could I? :eek:

Was just wondering as the majority of Neo Geo games are only three button and play fine without the 4th.

Ah well, looks like you'll have to get a little bit more involved than you first thought so :D

Get a new wire, put it on pin 25, dab of solder and you're done.

maplins are selling basic startup solder kits for 14.95. will pick up one of them over the weekend hopefully. I guess that it'll give me the basic knowledge I need if I'm restoring cabs in the future :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's quite possibly the easiest introduction you could have to soldering. The only difficult thing is trying not to burn your fingers ;)

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's quite possibly the easiest introduction you could have to soldering. The only difficult thing is trying not to burn your fingers ;)

:o

Advertisement