Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Friendly Beaches

• 04-03-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can point me towards a nice big beach in the South(Kerry/Cork/Wexford/Waterford etc) where I could bring our woof?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I've often gone to Curracloe in Wexford- not usually too crowded outside summertime!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Inchydoney Hotel there for a coffee or pint.

Garrettstown bit busy in summer, but great in the morning or evening.

Long strand near Owenahincha, always quiet even in summer.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Youghal beach is great for a walk. This time of the year it's quiet. Technically you're not allowed let dog off the lead on the beach, but as long as the dog is under control, it's usually okay.

If you go to Claycastle beach, there are dunes running alongside the beach and what I do is walk along there and let him off. It takes the tension away of worrying about him being off leash on the beach. The dunes stretch as far as Red Barn, you need to walk a little of the beach aroudn the hotel and then there are miles of dunes again just beyond that - I've gone ages past there and hardly met anyone and even when you get to beach again, its not a beach with people usually!!

Its a great walk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

The Cunnigar in Dungarvan. miles of sand dunes and beach. no sunbathers as it is not good for that but excellent for dogs. all the way out and back can be a 2 hour walk so check tides before setting off as it is a sand spit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Wisco wrote: »
    I've often gone to Curracloe in Wexford- not usually too crowded outside summertime!!

Be carefull I was down there last summer and at one stage my lad Bruno decided to go over the dunes and thru a broken fence to play with the horses that happened to be in the ajoining field. He thought it was great fun and wouldn't come out until that is he nearly took a kick from one of the adult horses that had come near to investigate the intruder. I got such a fright and so did my buddy. :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We usually take our boy to Garryvoe beach, near to Ballycotton. It's on the road to Youghal, but you turn off the N25 at Castlemartyr, and follow signs to Ladysbridge and Ballycotton.

Very quiet, even in the summer. In fact, we went there today and only found four other doggies out for their walks. It's the first time in ages we've been as there's been roadworks at Dunkettle and Midleton roundabouts. Our boy loves going to the beach and goes mad! He's sleeping off the effects of the long walk and the sea air at the time of writing!:D

Youghal is great as well, and we go there sometimes for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Macker1 wrote: »
    Be carefull I was down there last summer and at one stage my lad Bruno decided to go over the dunes and thru a broken fence to play with the horses that happened to be in the ajoining field. He thought it was great fun and wouldn't come out until that is he nearly took a kick from one of the adult horses that had come near to investigate the intruder. I got such a fright and so did my buddy. :):):):)

Im sure the horses got a fright as well tbh!

Advertisement