Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magic...of the Mitch variety

• 04-03-2011 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Getting a new cab is an event, a special occasion. Therefore a pic for the "look what I got new today' thread just fails to convey the impact. Mods, you should make it mandatory for new cab arrivals to only be herladed in a thread of their own :cool:

Without further ado, EN Arcadium is prud to announce the arrival of...

25gdzj8.jpg

taotcl.jpg

RRIIIIDDGGE....RAAACCEERR :cool:

Smal problem with the screen, between the mods to do & the attic I havn't got time to look at it yet but I'll get to it at some stage. The light in the shed also makes my Tekken cab look more washed out than it is, but it does desperately need new art. Finally, a driving cab. Just gotta get the perfect height stool now to engage in some left foot brake drifting goodness :cool:

Big thanks to Mitch, he's a gent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I thought it was either going to be a driving cab or a light gun game. The measurements were kind of close to Time Crisis 1.

Congrats man. Delighted you finally got a cab with a wheel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I thought it was either going to be a driving cab or a light gun game. The measurements were kind of close to Time Crisis 1.

Congrats man. Delighted you finally got a cab with a wheel!

Cheers dude, chuffed with it. It was the game I wanted too. Don't worry Retr0, the cab beside it has Daytona & Sega Rally should I feel the need :D Must get a usb wheel or something for the emulated games actually.

Master of the Universe

I take it this one will be left in all it's original glory and no MAMEed up PCs will be going near it? ;)

I can't say I've ever seen a stand up Ridge Racer anywhere by the way, they're fairly unique looking things.

I take it this one will be left in all it's original glory and no email MAMEed up PCs will be going near it? ;)

I can't say I've ever seen a stand up Ridge Racer anywhere by the way, they're fairly unique looking things.

Absoloutely, fully stock & will remain that way. Well my other one is the same, the pcb just happens to be a pc :D

I've seen a few of them, obviously the sit down ones are better but unless you've a side entrance to the house or something, it ain't happening for me. This is the next best thing.

Master of the Universe

Speaking of which, much hassle to get it through the house? It's a bit of a monster, can't have been easy!

• Advertisement

Mitch brought the trolley wheels with him which made it a lot, lot easier than the last cab I brought through. Some weight in them, but no more moving for this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That looks beautiful, really really nice.
    Congrats on the successful delivery of your new baby!

All you need now is a high stool with fag burns in the vinyl padding to create the perfect atmosphere!

Just a quick question, can you get a Ridge Racer 2 pcb and slot in there?
    Just wondering... Not that she isn't perfect as she is....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That looks beautiful, really really nice.
    Congrats on the successful delivery of your new baby!

All you need now is a high stool with fag burns in the vinyl padding to create the perfect atmosphere!

Just a quick question, can you get a Ridge Racer 2 pcb and slot in there?
    Just wondering... Not that she isn't perfect as she is....

Lol re the stool, it's exactly what I had in mind. I might purposely burn a new one for authenticity :D

Ridge Racer 2 I'd imagine is either an upgrade set of roms or something, or a whole new pcb. I wouldn't mind upgrading it to RR2 at some point actually, but not if it's the whole pcb. Well I say pcb but it's not like any pcb I've seen before, it's a giant thing in a metal case, more like a desktop pc on its side!

The camera makes it look cleaner than it is, it does need a massive cleanup & rework on pain etc...but time's aplenty for all that. Have to sort out the screen issue first. There's a very slight chance that old Hantarex chassis I was giving away has the part I need...fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Excellent stuff dude, congratulations! Looks lovely so she does. Looks like a beast of a screen, what size is it?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Excellent stuff dude, congratulations! Looks lovely so she does. Looks like a beast of a screen, what size is it?

Cheers man, the one is Tekken cab is 25" & in person they look very close in size so I'd say in the region of 25"...looks huge in the pics :D The cab fit through the house & into the shed...bearly. So anything with a bigger screen prob wouldn't be a runner for me in reality.

I thought I was finished with cabs, never say never I suppose.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Finished with cabs? Not at all! You still need a dedicated light gun machine and one with a vertical monitor.

Time Crisis and a candy with the monitor rotated should about do it. Much room left in that shed?

EnterNow wrote: »
    I thought I was finished with cabs, never say never I suppose.

Amen to that. If you've wanted something specific for so long and it comes up, then once you have the means you can't pass it up. Doubly sweet is you have the space for them, you have the option to turn it into a mini arcade down the road if it suited you. Lovely stuff dude. Delighted for you.

Finished with cabs? Not at all! You still need a dedicated light gun machine and one with a vertical monitor.

Time Crisis and a candy with the monitor rotated should about do it. Much room left in that shed?

Plenty of room left, unfortunately my wallet has even more empty space :( Real estate isn't an issue at all strangely due to the shed, currency though, now there's an issue. That being said, this cab was very reasonably priced even for a pauper like myself.

If I didn't buy it, someone else would have, & that's hard to chew on when you want a Ridge Racer cab. Probably lucky there's a fault with it really, I can fix that myself which would be cheaper than a working cab.

Heheh that's your holy grail of sorts isn't it - two candys, one with a rotated monitor for vertical schmup goodness! :cool:

Amen to that. If you've wanted something specific for so long and it comes up, then once you have the means you can't pass it up. Doubly sweet is you have the space for them, you have the option to turn it into a mini arcade down the road if it suited you. Lovely stuff dude. Delighted for you.

Lol, I always did have a vision of populating it with cabs over the years, maybe it's a goal I should deem long term :D Love to walk in & see about ten or 12 cabs all powered up & blaring.

All I'd need is to light a load of cigs, leave them in a corner (I don't smoke), buy some 'Arcade in a Bottle' scent & apply it liberally, & take out most of the bulbs...it'd be perfect :cool::D

Lol, I always did have a vision of populating it with cabs over the years, maybe it's a goal I should deem long term :D Love to walk in & see about ten or 12 cabs all powered up & blaring.

Lol don't be saying that man, you've have to build a hut next door to it and charge me and the gang rent to live there! :pac:

That would be some sweet dream though. Nice little selection of your favourite cabs in original form and then your mame one for everything else. /needs a drool emote

Master of the Universe

Plenty of room left, unfortunately my wallet has even more empty space :( Real estate isn't an issue at all strangely due to the shed, currency though, now there's an issue. That being said, this cab was very reasonably priced even for a pauper like myself.

If I didn't buy it, someone else would have, & that's hard to chew on when you want a Ridge Racer cab. Probably lucky there's a fault with it really, I can fix that myself which would be cheaper than a working cab.

Money comes and goes but empty space like that is priceless for someone who's interested in cabs. Give it time and I'm sure you'll fill it with goodies eventually!
    Heheh that's your holy grail of sorts isn't it - two candys, one with a rotated monitor for vertical schmup goodness! :cool:

Hah, yep! That's the dream. In total I'd love one of each kind of cab. Vertical and horizontal monitors (two candies would indeed look lovely) and a driving and shooting.

It's crazy isnt it? I should be delighted that I even have one!

There's something about the glow from a load of arcade cabs on in a room..don't get it anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Well wear :D

Never seen the stand up version B4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, how much did it cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Pleasure was mine,I know it has gone to a good home look forward to seeing it finished.Let me know when you want to fill up the rest of the shed allways a few machines available!!!.

If you are stuck for spares you have my number.

Cheers Mitch

• Advertisement

So, how much did it cost?

The cab as it was (with monitor fault), & brand new steering mech fitted (the old one's springs were gone & it wouldn't center) was €250

Of course there was delivery bills too but that's superfluous really. Looking at it this evening in proper light it's actually in better nick than I thought. Dash of paint in certain parts, clean up the gas/brake pedals & foot grid & it will be mint.

I dunno, to me it seemed a steal, & I'm chuffed with it :)

Pleasure was mine,I know it has gone to a good home look forward to seeing it finished.Let me know when you want to fill up the rest of the shed allways a few machines available!!!.

If you are stuck for spares you have my number.

Cheers Mitch

Ooh, temptation already :D This man is a devil folks, beware! Ah joking aside I'll def be buying again from Mitch, 100% happy with everything thanks again dude :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Looks great, and a great price too, didnt realise they would be that low in price i thought it was cost a lot more.. whats the general price range for a cab? Depends on type does it? I plan on having at least five again im finished.. im mini arcade in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I might be getting a loan of a van for a day and taking a trip up to dublin during the summer when I'm back from holidays and have some money!

Seeing this just makes me want a full sized cab!

keithgeo wrote: »
    Looks great, and a great price too, didnt realise they would be that low in price i thought it was cost a lot more.. whats the general price range for a cab? Depends on type does it? I plan on having at least five again im finished.. im mini arcade in the house.

To my eye, cabs have come down in price over the last few months. A basic jamma cab seems to run in the region of anywhere between €250/400 these days.

As I said, as mine has a fault it prob explains the cheapness of it. If the monitor were fully working, I'd have expected the cab to be worth €350/400 all day long.

Twin cabs obviously fetch more, as do more sought after jamma cabs. Candy Cabs which are the rolls royce's of upright's, seem to fetch €600 & upwards really depending on condiiton. o1s1n bought one a while back, how much was it o1s1n?
    I might be getting a loan of a van for a day and taking a trip up to dublin during the summer when I'm back from holidays and have some money!

Seeing this just makes me want a full sized cab!

Swing by Mitch on the way home is my advice, you'll be guaranteed to find something you want by all accounts.

Master of the Universe

You're right Enternow, they do seem a lot more affordable lately. Although I think that has something to do with Mitch making the process so easy. Before he came along here, the idea of trying to get a cab sounded like it wasn't possible on our tiny island.

My candy was €600..I thought I'd have to pay at least twice that to get one in from overseas.

€250 really was a steal. You couldn't say no at that price, not at all.

Just took the chassis out of the monitor of the RR cab...scary stuff. I think it's an auto-discharging monitor, as there was no sound when I discharged it...but that made it even more scary :eek: At least when you hear the 'crack', you know it's worked...when you hear nothing though, undoing the neckboard etc gets very tense :D But I'm still alive so it's obviously worked :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I thought I'd have to go to dublin, where is mitch located?

I thought I'd have to go to dublin, where is mitch located?

Kinnegad area afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Just took the chassis out of the monitor of the RR cab...scary stuff. I think it's an auto-discharging monitor, as there was no sound when I discharged it...but that made it even more scary :eek: At least when you hear the 'crack', you know it's worked...when you hear nothing though, undoing the neckboard etc gets very tense :D But I'm still alive so it's obviously worked :pac:

discharge three times with a minimum of 5 minutes in between better safe than sorry. Who you sending the chassis to?

purplec wrote: »
    discharge three times with a minimum of 5 minutes in between better safe than sorry. Who you sending the chassis to?

I did, more than three times lol. And when the ht lead came off I touched it off the earth points directly just to be sure.

As to who I'm sending it to, well that would be myself :) I have the chip swapped over, the appropriate resistor & cap too. I'll check today if it works, if not I'll just buy a new chassis & do a cap kit on it.

I hate to say it, but sometimes I amaze even myself :o:p

Surely not...

1pjp8m.jpg

It couldn't be...

10xvinn.jpg

It actually worked! I was convinced it wouldn't work, as it's the most jury-rigged repair I'v ever done, putting used multi-legged chips into place isn't easy...I had to extend the socket for the chip with wires instead...but there you have it :cool: I'll still buy a brand new chip for it, as this one looks like it's been through the wars too (TDA1675A if anyone has one on a shelf :))...but for now it's perfect. I won't use it too much like this, just incase, but I'm chuffed I know exactly what the prob was & how to fix it. Swapping the resistor & cap over were easy, but legs on chips tend bend when you remove them & become fragile, that's why I had to use wires, but it's not a permanent fix.

2ec3lef.jpg

The monitor chassis

oi89de.jpg

The behemoth that is...Namco System 22

o6fqfr.jpg

Just got three of them here - http://www.ges.cz/-tda1675a-ges05002377.html for under a tenner. My other screen is a Polo too so handy to have a few spares I guess. Thank god for old broken chassis with pillageable parts :D

Excellent stuff dude. Did you give it a quick blast? Steering wheel and pedals ok? Hah bet you didn't want to turn it off! :pac:

Excellent stuff dude. Did you give it a quick blast? Steering wheel and pedals ok? Hah bet you didn't want to turn it off! :pac:

Yep had a few laps to test everyhting out, it's all 100%. Something about arcade drivers that you can't get with a console...much like everything arcade etc.

While working on the RR cab, the little fella was playing Sunset Riders as is now "One of the best games he every played" :D So there you have it, the magic of cabs isn't lost on todays youngsters even...it's just places to go & play them are gatting rarer :(

• Advertisement

That looks sensational, congrats to you man

That looks sensational, congrats to you man

Cheers dude, as JB would say..it's all in the reflexes :D Anyhow, two down, 10 or 12 to go...then you's will never see me again :pac:

I reckon the perfect companion to the RR cab is a Sega Rally cab, stand up to save space, if it exists.
    Actually, there is a grotty Sega Rally sit down cab in Fingallians in Swords, not sure if its working, its in the Pool room of the place.
    I wonder now, if you offered them a few bob would they sell it to you?
    You could get a good price, not sure if they are terribly attached to it.
    I don't know anyone there or I'd ask for you.
    Kill for it myself but that would only end with my other testicle winding up in the same jar as the last one... :(

I reckon the perfect companion to the RR cab is a Sega Rally cab, stand up to save space, if it exists.
    Actually, there is a grotty Sega Rally sit down cab in Fingallians in Swords, not sure if its working, its in the Pool room of the place.
    I wonder now, if you offered them a few bob would they sell it to you?
    You could get a good price, not sure if they are terribly attached to it.
    I don't know anyone there or I'd ask for you.
    Kill for it myself but that would only end with my other testicle winding up in the same jar as the last one... :(

Good suggestion that and urgh re: the last sentence. Feckin lunchtime now too. :(

Funnily enough I asked Mitch to keep his eye out for a Sega Rally upright to go with the RR cab, agreed it'd be the perfect combo. They do indeed exist, I seen one in the mill before...

Lol re the last sentence too...just had egg mayo :(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Wow! You made that seem almost too easy! :D Congrats. Looks beautiful.

That Namco System 22 board is bloody huge..and here's me thinking CPS2 was bad!

Wow! You made that seem almost too easy! :D Congrats. Looks beautiful.

That Namco System 22 board is bloody huge..and here's me thinking CPS2 was bad!

Not easy at all, intypical fashion the camera battery died when I was about to start documenting the repair. But rest assured, it took about 2 hours or soldering/desoldering/burning/pain & pins n needles...but it worked much to my own amazement. When the new chip lands, I'll desolder all of my repair & simply drop the chip into place and solder it up. I might cap the chassis too for the sake of it & it should be cool after that. Still can't believe there's a working RR cab in my shed :eek::p

But this excercise shows that you don't have to spend hundreds to get the experience. Thanks to Mitch, a very reasonable price, & a bit of effort...it's there for everyone. The only prob is room for most folks, but if you have the space, do it!

Edit - The size of the game board took me by surprise too, it's absoloutely enourmous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

While working on the RR cab, the little fella was playing Sunset Riders as is now "One of the best games he every played" :D So there you have it, the magic of cabs isn't lost on todays youngsters even...it's just places to go & play them are gatting rarer :(

Well you should know that I was Sunset Riders champion 2011 @ Retr0gamers house so if you need any tips then all you need to do is ask:pac:

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well you should know that I was Sunset Riders champion 2011 @ Retr0gamers house so if you need any tips then all you need to do is ask:pac:

Nah we cleared the game handy enough :D What a game though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Nah we cleared the game handy enough :D What a game though!

Yep it's not too hard but it sure is fun!

Advertisement