Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blasphemy towards christians

Options
  • 04-03-2011 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,
    there is a lot of blasphemy on boards.ie all aimed at christian beliefs.

there is a lot of very offensive remarks and hate filled sentiment towards people who are of the christian faith.

I think these type of threads should be removed as blasphemy in Ireland is illegal and most media broadcasters in ireland have to abide by strict guidlines in relation peoples religious beliefs.

thank you.
    ronan
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ro09 wrote: »
    Hi,

there is a lot of very offensive remarks and hate filled sentiment towards people who are of the christian faith.

I think these type of threads should be removed as blasphemy in Ireland is illegal and most media broadcasters in ireland have to abide by strict guidlines in relation peoples religious beliefs.

thank you.
    ronan

don't worry about it Ronan, they'll get what's coming to them on the day of judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Armageddon out of here!

* Get's coat and rosary beads *

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hi,

thank you.
    ronan
    Blasphemy Law:
    (1) A person who publishes or utters blasphemous matter shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable upon conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding €25,000.
    (2) For the purposes of this section, a person publishes or utters blasphemous matter if—
    (a) he or she publishes or utters matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion, and
    (b) he or she intends, by the publication or utterance of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage.
    (3) It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.
    Go ahead and report it to the authorities if you can find any cases that fit the above

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Why not forgive them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

No, stone them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why can't we just all dump on the towel-heads instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i think people shouting 'ban the non-believers' should be banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Adam wrote: »
    i think people shouting 'ban the non-believers' should be banned!

And what does Eve think about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

tbh wrote: »
    don't worry about it Ronan, they'll get what's coming to them on the day of judgement.
    Not long now. 21st May.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TheZohan wrote: »
    And what does Eve think about this?

nothing, she's too busy "playing" with that snake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

So a person brings an item of genuine concern to him to feedback, and this is what he gets? What a crock of s**t. You should all be banned from FB, as this is getting oh so typical.

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    So a person brings an item of genuine concern to him to feedback
    And yet doesn't give a single example of what they're talking about

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    And yet doesn't give a single example of what they're talking about

Why don't you ask him then?

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Why don't you ask him then?
    I did. I told him to find these "blasphemies" and report it to the relevant authorities

28064212 wrote: »
    I did. I told him to find these "blasphemies" and report it to the relevant authorities

Apologies, I thought you said he did not give examples. I can clearly see where you told him what to do. My comments where not directed at you specifically.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well this is going well.
    OP your behaviour in after hours, those posts that got you banned... somewhat less than christian no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Only towards hate filled people who are of the christian faith - like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Hi,

thank you.
    ronan

I never understood why god needs a law created by man to protect him, sort say he is not all powerful, in fact it hints that he may not exist

• Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Having had a look back at some of your Posts OP - aside from the bits that have been Moderated, your views about religion don't fit with the Blasphemy law. The idea that people should get respect for being religious, or that being religious should protect someone from criticism. Nobody has gone and said Jesus is an alien thats having sex with Allah in a war for your soul or anything. Nobody is Blaspheming against Christian beliefs. Criticizing a church is another matter entirely. There are many churches, most of which get on without incident; there just happens to be one church in particular which people have come out to criticise on important political grounds - which judging from some of the recent threads you've been involved in, is probably what you're taking offense to.
    Only towards hate filled people who are of the christian faith - like you.
    More precisely, toward hateful people; that they are Christian is subsequent to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Be a damned boring forum if no one disagreed with anyone else imo.
    Everyone on boards holds some beliefs of one sort or another, legalise drugs, don't pay taxes, drive topless - whatever, its only when an invisible fictional character is thrown into the mix that it becomes a blasphemy.

Hate filled sentiment is a bit strong and I do believe that the Mods do a good job of keeping personal insulting posts under control. If your belief system doesn't stand up to scrutiny then you should really think very carefully if it is a way to live your life.

"Peter Griffin should die!" could be a blasphemy to some.

Boards.ie is not for the thin skinned.
    Anyway turn the other cheek and all that.
    Have a nice day! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Hi,

thank you.
    ronan

Is every other religious group that isn't Christian not by the very nature of their beliefs, committing blasphemy against Christian beliefs?

Just because someone doesn't share your beliefs, that doesn't remove the opportunity to discuss those beliefs on boards.ie, as long as they don't break any charter rules.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Sure everyone knows the last spot in Heaven was already filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

oh whats this.... all the little boys club ganging up on me. dont worry i wont take it to heart.

although you might want to become individuals and stop hiding behind each others opinions you will feel better for it. just because your electronic mate says one thing it doesn't mean you have to suck up to him.

after all . they are not your real mates. come on now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hi,

Hello there ronan
    Hi,

is there? im a few years here, i dont think ive seen it... examples would benefit the discussion

Boards.ie is not a media broadcaster, its a community internet forum therefore not regulated by ther BAI, that said, i know that boards.ie do not tolerate genuine marginalisation or incitement of hate toward any section of the community.

thank you.
    ronan

You're welcome
    Brian

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

oh whats this.... all the little boys club ganging up on me. dont worry i wont take it to heart.

although you might want to become individuals and stop hiding behind each others opinions you will feel better for it. just because your electronic mate says one thing it doesn't mean you have to suck up to him.

No you're entirely right. Because people don't agree with you they're all wrong. All of them are wrong. Everyone else in the whole forum is incorrect and you're the only one who is enlightened.
    Well its the only rational conclusion to draw no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

I've had enough , i'm going to watch Emmerdale and put the day behind me. But think about what I've said and take a look at some of the posts about holy communion and the Alive magazine.

I got banned rightfully for inappropriate language but someone called me a fool in their post and nothing. not a whisper from the moderator.

Anyway.
    Oiche maith

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Good, as that's not what's happen

:rolleyes:

128848793055025164.jpg

Get what you're looking for yet?

If you can read this, you're too close!

What are people meant to be hiding, exactly? Who is there to suck up to?

Nowhere in your posts here do you provide examples of blasphemous content on this website. If you want to make a case - either here or in a district court - that there are blasphemous comments here, you'd want to be able to highlight them.

I suggest if you don't want to be offended by other people's views you shouldn't venture into the Atheism & Agnosticism forum, or lend weight to opinions that conflict with your own.

As a matter of interest though do you have examples of blasphemy that you would like to have addressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have you reported these posts? Or can you post links to the blasphemous threads in question?

• Advertisement

I've had enough , i'm going to watch Emmerdale and put the day behind me. But think about what I've said and take a look at some of the posts about holy communion and the Alive magazine.
    Last week along boards generated 95,976 new posts. It would help if you were able to provide URL links to the posts you are concerned about, or report them using the function on the posts themselves to alert them to a moderator. There are fewer than 500 moderators and other volunteers on the site who do not jointly have time to review all of them. Using the Report Feature report.gif helps out a tremendous amount.
    I got banned rightfully for inappropriate language but someone called me a fool in their post and nothing. not a whisper from the moderator.

Anyway.
    Oiche maith
    You should report the post where you believe you were called a fool, as it may have escaped notice. Again, the high volume of posts means it might not have been seen by a moderator. What likely happened is whomever you were arguing with reported you before you reported them, and instead of you reporting them, you chose to respond in kind. This is what got you banned, I reckon.

I tried doing a word search in the threads you have recently visited and found no occurrence of the word "fool". Either I missed something or you were paraphrasing.

Aside from that if you want to complain about the moderator and about a specific instance this isn't the thread to discuss it in. More on point, you say there is Blasphemy on the site and indirectly you claim that is unconstitutional. Examples are needed. I and others would like to know whether it's true or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement