Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blasphemy towards christians

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ro09 wrote: »
    I've had enough , i'm going to watch Emmerdale and put the day behind me. But think about what I've said and take a look at some of the posts about holy communion and the Alive magazine.

I got banned rightfully for inappropriate language but someone called me a fool in their post and nothing. not a whisper from the moderator.

Anyway.
    Oiche maith

Well I didn't trawl for posts but I would agree that many people's attitude to their mercenary little darlings' first communion amounts to blasphemy, and the Alive magazine's view of Christianity also borders on blasphemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If they are blasphemous it raises an important issue, some clearly are intended to be blasphemous and cause offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If a user finds a post blasphemous (in the legal sense of the word - and which is imho an incredibly backwards law but thats besides the point) then please report the post. Mods, and boards, can only act on issues if they are brought to our attention.

However, please be certain to distinguish between blasphemy and a statement that makes you feel uncomfortable. Just because you dont agree with it, doesnt mean its wrong (unless you are the pope and its a question of interpretation of catechism, in which case you're seemingly infallible).

Hmmm,

Now I'm not with the OP on this (If he's serious about Blasphemy, then he should give specific examples or GTFO) but is snarking at him AH-style just because he's religious/doesn't believe the Truth is Atheism (not saying anyone said that, but I think some of you think it to yourselves) on in Feedback?

I mean, would you give "godless/ you're going to Hell/ smugness/whatever" quips if he was a Dawkins fanboy?

Far better to take the high road and say "examples or GTFO" than be dragged to his snarking level.

We already had this debate in my thread and it was fairly resolved.

There's people out there who take a slur against what they believe in the same way an ethnic african would react to being referred to as "boy" or "N**ger". Do we tell them to man up & take it?

Stating as fact that there is a god/no god/whatever I find to be extremely ignorant of the other side, and I'd equate it with the "women back in the kitchen" jibes you see some of the time. When the joke is first made you roll eyes and say "ah jeez", it's when you get "no wait, he's serious" that you see ignorance.

Simple

Joke about "god, no god, whatever"- Grand. Throw in a smiley or a rolleyes to take out the snarkiness.

Going further than that-Stating a tenet of your belief as fact, making a "why don't you *insert religious action detail*?" snark, sweeping generalisations of the religion = a bit much.

Whatever about what you believe, the "don't be a dick" rule should shove your belief face-down into the mud until it doesn't breath any more.

That goes for Polytheists, Monotheists, Agnostics and Atheists alike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hmmm,

Now I'm not with the OP on this (If he's serious about Blasphemy, then he should give specific examples or GTFO) but is snarking at him AH-style just because he's religious/doesn't believe the Truth is Atheism (not saying anyone said that, but I think some of you think it to yourselves) on in Feedback?

I mean, would you give "godless/ you're going to Hell/ smugness/whatever" quips if he was a Dawkins fanboy?
    If someone came in and posted this:
    Hi,
    there is a lot of religious nonsense on boards.ie

there is a lot of very offensive remarks and hate filled sentiment towards people who believe in the scientific method

[Ok, I'm not really sure how I'd go about making an equivalent point about atheism with regard to the blasphemy law, but you get what I'm saying]
    and gave no examples, you don't think that would get the same level of replies? Of course it would. Post crap and you're going to receive crap in return

Also, it's worth pointing out that Lolth (Feedback Admin) and Overheal (Feedback Mod) are the only people who have posted here that are not posting as normal users, and their posts were exactly what they should be: helpful and polite

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    If someone came in and posted this:

and gave no examples, you don't think that would get the same level of replies? Of course it would. Post crap and you're going to receive crap in return

Also, it's worth pointing out that Lolth (Feedback Admin) and Overheal (Feedback Mod) are the only people who have posted here that are not posting as normal users, and their posts were exactly what they should be: helpful and polite

Cool with that. Just wanted to throw it out there for the ordinary posters to chew over :)

Edit- just to add "blasphemy! blasphemy! the bombers go blast for me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

oh whats this.... all the little boys club ganging up on me.
    Some girls too (I know, they'd let women do anything these days...) and they're not ganging up on you, they're just disagreeing with you.
    although you might want to become individuals and stop hiding behind each others opinions you will feel better for it. just because your electronic mate says one thing it doesn't mean you have to suck up to him.

after all . they are not your real mates. come on now folks.
    Nnnnnno, those are their real opinions.
    someone called me a fool in their post
    Bet they didn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP, do not be dishearten by the blasphemy uttered by these heretics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

Well this is going well.
    OP your behaviour in after hours, those posts that got you banned... somewhat less than christian no?

yes your right, i would like to take the opportunity to appologise for the use of the word "fag". I'm afraid things got a bit heated and i shouldn't have used the word. If you lift the ban i will appologise for the name calling. or alternatively you can copy and paste this apology for me.

thanks
    ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

but god hates fags - surely you're not apologising for god?

• Advertisement

Ah come on Macros, that's what I'm on about. He's apologising and you're going for the equivilent of "surely you're not apologising for jews/blacks?" or "get back to the kitchen"

It's dick-like behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah in fairness he apologised.

Although Alive! magazine - seriously Ro, there are devout catholics who detest that publication.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hi,
    there is a lot of blasphemy on boards.ie all aimed at christian beliefs.

A unsubstantiated comment is no help to us here in Feedback Ronan.
    I will need exact examples and links to what it is you are referring to.
    there is a lot of very offensive remarks and hate filled sentiment towards people who are of the christian faith.

Only christian faith?
    You're not looking hard enough, there's been plenty said about other religions on this site.
    As for them being offensive, well as the fabulous Stephen Fry once said, so what?
    I think these type of threads should be removed as blasphemy in Ireland is illegal

An utter joke of a law which will most likely be rescinded by our new government in the very near future.

There was a time when you would be put to death for slagging off a particular religion.
    Thankfully, in a civilised society, those days are well and truly gone.
    As for the parts of the world where religion is still law, it's quite obvious how their societies are going and I for one, would not like to be a woman living there.

As I've said before, someones political views can be slagged to death, but religion can't?

gandalf wrote: »
    Have you reported these posts? Or can you post links to the blasphemous threads in question?
    From a quick glance at his previous posts,he's opened this thread to go trolling ffs :D
    The op couldn't care less about religion probably.
    I'm surprised the threads still open.
    But think about what I've said and take a look at some of the posts about holy communion and the Alive magazine.
    lol classic trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Irrespective of one's own view on the "law", the fact remains that it is part of the current constitution, and there is an obligation to enforce it. Now, I have no idea what Ronin is referring to when he makes these claims, but to dismiss his claims, or the veracity of these claims, with a quotation from a comedian is silly.

The blasphemy law, also covers all recognized religions within the Republic.

Finally, a law cannot be rescinded by our Government, it can only be amended. A referendum will have to take place to rescind this bill, that's the beauty of having a constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Irrespective of one's own view on the "law", the fact remains that it is part of the current constitution, and there is an obligation to enforce it.
    True. Of course, there's nothing to suggest that anything on boards is in breach of the actual law
    Now, I have no idea what Ronin is referring to when he makes these claims, but to dismiss his claims, or the veracity of these claims, with a quotation from a comedian is silly.
    Why? It's a stupid claim if he's not going to produce any evidence. I might as well start a thread in Feedback saying boards is a secret freemason-supporter platform and tell the admins to fix it. I would be rightly ridiculed.
    Finally, a law cannot be rescinded by our Government, it can only be amended. A referendum will have to take place to rescind this bill, that's the beauty of having a constitution.
    Not true. A referendum will only remove the blasphemy reference from the constitution. That will remove the need for a blasphemy law. The law itself would still not be repealed until that is done by the legislature

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Beruthiel wrote: »
    A unsubstantiated comment is no help to us here in Feedback Ronan.
    I will need exact examples and links to what it is you are referring to.

Agreed.
    As for them being offensive, well as the fabulous Stephen Fry once said, so what?

Wellllll......there's making an offensive remark to make a point, and then there's making one just to rile the other poster. This was covered by DeVore in my previous thread.

An utter joke of a law which will most likely be rescinded by our new government in the very near future.
    Now it might be bad law, but it is still law. Nothing wrong with treating it on a "work to rule" basis, but law can't just be ignored because it's "stupid".

As I've said before, someones political views can be slagged to death, but religion can't?

Well that's the thing.
    Political views can't be slagged to death. Just like any other distinguishing attribute, there's certain degrees of slagging which, if brought too far, are beyond what's acceptable. "Why don't ya "share" your car with me if you love communism so much?" is just as unacceptable as "STFU and get back to the kitchen bitch" or "I'm not racist but f*ck off back to your own country". Yes, there's conversations where even the above are uttered and accepted but the more vicious and hard the comment, the less conversations where it's appropriate.

tldr-you can discuss anything, but that's no excuse to be a dick about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ronan, after seeing the comment that got you banned in After Hours, it's clear you are a troll and we won't be entertaining you in Feedback anymore.

Continue your current behaviour and you won't last too much longer on this site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement