Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdd suggestion

Options
  • 04-03-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi looking into upgrading my rig.

i have a 1tb samsung drive atm and want to have raid 0 setup. So i'll be needing another 1tb. I Also want to have an SSD for my OS and my raid 0 setup for the other stuff. Now the question is, can I dual boot from my SSD (W7 & linux) and partiton my raid 0 for my W7 & linux. Or is this too much complicated.

60GB SSD = OS (W7 & linux) dual boot
    2 Samsunng 1TB partitioned into 3 drives
    1st drive = W7 Apss & Stuff
    2nd Drive = storage for movies, music, pics
    3rd Drive = Linux

Any comments?:o
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kind of seems like a waste of time using raid 0 in that kind of implementation IMO
    Depending on the version of Linux, you may be able to use a large ntfs partition without issue, but if you're going to be partitioning into 3 drives anyway, why would you even want raid 0?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zeromemory

tman wrote: »
    Kind of seems like a waste of time using raid 0 in that kind of implementation IMO
    Depending on the version of Linux, you may be able to use a large ntfs partition without issue, but if you're going to be partitioning into 3 drives anyway, why would you even want raid 0?:confused:

I think you got a point in there. Might as well have W7 in the SSD anh have linux in the raid 0 together with stuff for my W7..

Thanks of the insight i think i know now what to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sorry, I wasn't all that clear there... I wasn't advising against having windows 7 and linux on the SSD, that'll work perfectly!!
    I was advising against using raid 0 at all if you're just going to partition the drive anyway. Just doesn't seem worth it for minimal performance gains and twice the chance of losing your data if a HDD fails

Advertisement