Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ditch the landline - rural area - options?

• 04-03-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

I'd love to bin my landline. I really only have it for the broadband BUT I'm not in a 3G area. There seems to be a mind boggling array of products for mobiles / mobile broadband - are any of them actually any good? My mobile contract is up next month so I could switch to whichever network could give me a good broadband alternative. Obviously it would also have to cost less than a landline ~ €40 pm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're not in a 3G area, then any 3G mobile network product is going to be useless to you since you can't avail of it. No mobile product can compare to DSL, so ditching DSL in favour of 3G would be a bad move. Your only option outside of the land line is probably a fixed wireless operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

yeurgh

thought as much:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I'd love to bin my landline. I really only have it for the broadband BUT I'm not in a 3G area. There seems to be a mind boggling array of products for mobiles / mobile broadband - are any of them actually any good? My mobile contract is up next month so I could switch to whichever network could give me a good broadband alternative. Obviously it would also have to cost less than a landline ~ €40 pm.

Try www.callcosts.ie

Are you in a UPC area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Stick your address in to three.ie (02 don't seem to have this on their site)and they will tell you if they cover your area. If they do then I'd imagine O2 do aswell.

It's not gonna be super fast.....1 to 2MB, I don't know what your needs are.
    You can get 15GB (month) allowance for €20 with O2, or for €26.24 you can get 30GB with 3(month).

I'm only getting 3MB at the moment, before it was 2 and before that 1, cant say I noticed much change for the kind of usage I have. My area does seem to be covered by three, obvious advantage that it leaves the house with you if you need it to. Thanks
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no net1 here. doesnt look like it would be any cheaper than the landline.

Advertisement