Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much compost

Options
  • 04-03-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Im thinking about putting down a bed in the garden for growing veg. Probably go with something like 4 foot wide by 10 foot long, at 1 foot depth. Anyone able to suggest how much compost that would need? should I mix with some soil too? last year i grew in pots/boxes/tyres and used only compost and it was grand (the veg growing type)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Size sounds good.
    What orientation is the site and whats the soil like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

hey..best thing you can do is dig the plot over using the double dig method..and add in well rotted manure to each trench as you dig...then add peat free multipurpose compost. not sure on quautity. but when i was doing my 16x8ft plots i added..approx 400ltr's and dig that in on 2 seperate occasions during winter. i added approx 200ltr's of well rotted manure to the plots too. you really have to mix into the soil well...

Advertisement