Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate to rent, should I lie about working?

Options
  • 04-03-2011 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

I was made redundant in november, and haven't had any luck in finding a job, I'm on Jobseekers allowance and so I can only afford places about 400pm and under. The problem is every place I ring doesn't want to know once they find out I'm unemployed, so should I just lie and tell them I'm working? give them a mates number and have them pretend to be my boss? I'm really desperate to move out of the family home as I'm not getting along with my family since I'm home all the time now and I feel like I'm going to end up on the street if I cant find a place soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TheDietShop.ie

Are you looking to rent on your own or share?

Tell them your self-employed. Who cares as long as you pay rent on time and be a considerate tennant. Look after number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

I'd rather rent my own place, I know the only places in my price range are tiny but I don't really mind that. I hadn't thought of saying self employed but that might backfire if they ask too many questions, I was just thinking of saying I work part time in a grocers or restaurant/take away just for the sake of having a job becasue no matter what I say once they hear I'm unemployed they dont want to know at all.

take care of yourself

take care of yourself

That's.... helpful.

I don't think you want help and you have no manners either. I can see why you might have trouble getting someone to have you as a tennant.

Good luck:D

• Advertisement

I don't think you want help and you have no manners either. I can see why you might have trouble getting someone to have you as a tennant.

Good luck:D

I have a serious problem and your "advice", wasn't really helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Say you're a student, how you think most student get places?
    A lot of them move to new cities and don't have jobs immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The poster gave you advice to say you're self-employed. You don't agree to it.

The other post was simply saying to do what you have to do, whether that's lying to the landlord by saying you're working or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I know where you're coming from, I'd find it hard to tell a bare faced lie but can handle a little white one now and again :)
    Would you maybe register with a few agencies that do temp work, and then you can say - without actually lying! - that you do temp work as and when it arises. Potential landlords won't know if you do 5 days a week every week or one day a year...

If you have a serious problem then seek professional help, you will not find it here and it is unfair to ask for it here.

However if you consider the issue you outlined in your introduction as been a serious problem then you have it easy.

Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭flay

_oveless wrote: »
    I have a serious problem and your "advice", wasn't really helpful.

Your right it wasnt, I would tell them anything mate as long as it gets you through the door! Look after yourself as long as your a considerate tenant it shouldnt be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They'll ask for work references so beware of that :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I don't think saying I'm a student would work, as I would have tell more lies about where and what I'm studying etc. Would I be in any trouble legally if i was caught out lying about working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IF you go to centrecare ,or focuspoint temple bar, they give out a list around ten am,monday,to saturday, flats 4 rent that take rent allowance .THEY,LL also help you to find accomodation,and theres acess to a phone too.

IF you move into a flat you may have a problem with social welfare,eg how are you paying the rent, if you are not on ra.I Think theres small flats avaidable,or bedsits around 60 euro per week.AS for flats under 100 euro,id say about 25 per cent of landlords take ra,but you still need a large deposit even to get an ra flat eg at least 300euro.
    centrecare is near the cathredal ,off oconnell st, down the lane, past the burger king, about 40 yards past the tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

_oveless wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys, I don't think saying I'm a student would work, as I would have tell more lies about where and what I'm studying etc. Would I be in any trouble legally if i was caught out lying about working?
    Doubtful, unless it impeded your ability to pay the rent. To be honest I wouldn't take any lengthy interrogations from a prospective landlord, remember you're the customer, you're paying them. They are doing you no favours. I recall one chancer tried to get me to carry someone's bags up some stairs before I even viewed the apartment, I turned around and walked off laughing.

ricman wrote: »
    IF you go to centrecare ,or focuspoint temple bar, they give out a list around ten am,monday,to saturday, flats 4 rent that take rent allowance .THEY,LL also help you to find accomodation,and theres acess to a phone too.

IF you move into a flat you may have a problem with social welfare,eg how are you paying the rent, if you are not on ra.I Think theres small flats avaidable,or bedsits around 60 euro per week.AS for flats under 100 euro,id say about 25 per cent of landlords take ra,but you still need a large deposit even to get an ra flat eg at least 300euro.
    centrecare is near the cathredal ,off oconnell st, down the lane, past the burger king, about 40 yards past the tax office.

Thank you so much, I'll check this out on monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The days of queuing up to view houses and flats and bringing your deposit in cash so you can snap it up if it was half decent are gone.
    And thank god for that!

Landlords need good tenants. If you're a good tenant OP and genuine but just between jobs and you clearly need a flat then a lie now won't hurt.

Otherwise, it'd be impossible to move to a new city without a job in place

Some good advice there, best of luck with your flat hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I've never heard of a landlord asking for a reference from your employer. Just pick somewhere big like a supermarker or something and say you work there. How are they going to know?

Another plan of action which I have found effective is to put an advert up on the likes of gumtree stating what you are looking for and have the landlords chase you up. It puts a whole different twist on things, you are the one with the power then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement