Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-order pre-owned games at GAME

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Stupid idea. I dont mind all this used ges thing, i love to go gamestop amd browse abit. You newer know, you cam find some old jewel for few quid.

I personally newer trade in games, as i love to have collection. Later on i will show my kids, what was theyr daddy in to. Still hate myself for selling psone with all those games back in the day.... Parasite eve 2 now alone costs 200 quid... And i whan play it, not resell it :(.

I newer understood when second hand game costed 5 eu less then brand new one... I loled at that, do people really bothered about 5 quid? I better have it brand new for 5 or 10 extra them with someones filty prints all over it.

Good spoting wad on EA games. Moust of them meed activisation. Friemd bought bc2 recently, and i bought new on of zavvi fod same money. Now he got owned by needing to reactivate it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

do you have very large fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

And so it begins...

jVTbV.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Simple solution: Give Xbox360 and PS3 games a serial number, just like on PC. Serial number bound to your Xbox/PS3 User Account.

Lo and behold, consoles becoming more and more like PCs.

gizmo wrote: »
    And so it begins...

jVTbV.png

a €4 saving over the original

ahahaha

im setting my stall out here, anyone who buys from this scheme is a moron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Parasite eve 2 now alone costs 200 quid... And i whan play it, not resell it :(.

Sure you're not thinking about something else? Parasite eve 2 isn't expensive at all -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Parasite-Eve-PS1-PS2-GAME-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-COMPLETE-/320666348783?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4aa9342cef

I never trade in games, ever. The rapid depreciation is a waste of money. Might as well just build up a collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

What annoys me is that Publishers and Developers are trying various methods of making second-hand games less attractive in an attempt to stop such sales, yet have no problems doing exclusive deals with the likes of Gamestop and Game such as "Pre-order today with Gamestop and get beta access to Gears of War 3".

Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me (yes I'm talking about you Epic :P )*.

*I may be slightly annoyed at the fact that I want beta access but don't want to buy from Gamestop :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Liber8or wrote: »
    Simple solution: Give Xbox360 and PS3 games a serial number, just like on PC. Serial number bound to your Xbox/PS3 User Account.

Lo and behold, consoles becoming more and more like PCs.
    it would be nice if that worked each way but thats very impractical still.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sure you're not thinking about something else? Parasite eve 2 isn't expensive at all -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Parasite-Eve-PS1-PS2-GAME-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-COMPLETE-/320666348783?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4aa9342cef

I never trade in games, ever. The rapid depreciation is a waste of money. Might as well just build up a collection.

That is a great find, it's really hard to find these. I really hate eBay thought, it's like a scammer heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Overheal wrote: »
    it would be nice if that worked each way but thats very impractical still.

How so? It has worked on PCs for over a decade now. The only drawback I can see is for the people who don't have their consoles hooked up to the internet. However, multiplayer games are the only games which are given CD-Keys, (except in the rare case of games which need online content, e.g Dragon Age), so only those seeking to play online would be asked for a CD-Key. Considering the amount of shovelware which has multiplayer thrown in (or in some cases, a single-player thrown in), this would account for almost half of the games out there to requiring a CD-Key.

A problem halved...

Perhaps not this generation, but I reckon the next generation of consoles will require an internet connection at all times. Then, publishers will supply CD-Keys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I don't like to hold on to many of my games, simply because I know I will never play them again. So they are worth nothing to me sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

What is laughable is the price of 2nd hand games in some of the shops, only on friday I was looking for a couple I played for maybe an hour or 2 at a friends place and wanted to pick up for the sake of completion, 19.99 for a 3 year old and 16.99 for a 4 year old game that wasn't even a AAA title when it came out is hilarious :D

I've been stung more than once since xmas by price cuts a week or 2 after launch on new games. Not only am I losing money by buying it on launch day , i lose more when I go to resell it only a few weeks later, whether I trade it in or sell on adverts/ebay.

So theres 2 things going on here, one is a push by the companies to get people to buy new games the other is a push by the shops to sell pre-owned.

Either way it's me losing out in the end :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One thing to note is that publishers and format owners are purposefully overcharging for digital downloads in some regards to placate retailers. If you look at the Xbox Games on Demand service, for example, not only is there a delay in putting games up but they also tend to be quite expensive. While you can find a few year old releases for 19.99, Halo Reach - for example - is only being put up now and I'd wager it will be 49.99 (some other titles like Crackdown 2 are). Mass Effect 2 for 59.99 on PSN is particularly absurd, was the same with Dragon Age Awakening I believe (a ludicrous 40 euro on XBL to match the retail price). I'd be very curious to see the sales figures for these, as I'd imagine they can't possibly be high since all these games are available much cheaper in retail stores, boxed and all. Steam is similar, although don't know if that's just Valve and co. being greedy. But it's clear to everyone that digital downloads should be much, much cheaper since it's only the developer> publisher > platform holder costs, as opposed to the developer > publisher > platform holder > manufacture > shipping > retailer model currently in place.

If they really want to challenge pre-owned sales, a more attractive digital download pricing is a necessity IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Just curious if GAME and Gamestop have bought out any digital distribution companies? The fact they have hundreds of stores worldwide surely they will do everything in their power to slow the progress of digital distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

gizmo wrote: »
    And so it begins...

jVTbV.png

Its 37.99 for that game new on amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

One thing to note is that publishers and format owners are purposefully overcharging for digital downloads in some regards to placate retailers. If you look at the Xbox Games on Demand service, for example, not only is there a delay in putting games up but they also tend to be quite expensive. While you can find a few year old releases for 19.99, Halo Reach - for example - is only being put up now and I'd wager it will be 49.99 (some other titles like Crackdown 2 are). Mass Effect 2 for 59.99 on PSN is particularly absurd, was the same with Dragon Age Awakening I believe (a ludicrous 40 euro on XBL to match the retail price). I'd be very curious to see the sales figures for these, as I'd imagine they can't possibly be high since all these games are available much cheaper in retail stores, boxed and all. Steam is similar, although don't know if that's just Valve and co. being greedy. But it's clear to everyone that digital downloads should be much, much cheaper since it's only the developer> publisher > platform holder costs, as opposed to the developer > publisher > platform holder > manufacture > shipping > retailer model currently in place.

If they really want to challenge pre-owned sales, a more attractive digital download pricing is a necessity IMO!

Simple economics really.

Digital content is relatively new. Those providing the service are probably testing the water.

If they drop thier price too low, increasing would be a pretty bad step.
    however if they start high and marginally lower, it reflects well from consumers.

Studies released in the U.S over the last 12 months along with sales figures sees a steady shift towards digital distribution with the like sof iTunes and Steam and D2D being pretty succesful, but its not a drastic shift, its a gradual one.

As more and more people move to Digital Dist. we will then start to see drops in price. Digital Dist is risky, its a big change, your asking people to stop the habit and process they have used for over 20 years, to do something entirely new, not everyone will jump ship straight away.

Sure there are still people clinging onto " I love the box" which is by all means fine.

Again its just simple economics.
    If they start at bricks n mortar price and see sales increasing, they know they are onto a winner and can drop prices in the future safely.
    If they start lower and the idea flops, price hikes will be backlashed and the whole thing caves.

I've moved pretty much solely to Digital Distribution, I don't play alot of PC Games outside of WoW and a couple of shooters. But when Blizzard moved to Digital Dist they have been cheaper then retail stores, and Steam Sale drop enough bargains to keep me interested on downtime.

Picked up Crysis and the expansion for €19.99 , at 11pm on Friday night, and was playing it within 30 minutes of purchase. You just dont get that freedom with retail stores.

Plus the whole second hand market stuff disgusts me .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Simple economics really.

Digital content is relatively new. Those providing the service are probably testing the water.

If they drop thier price too low, increasing would be a pretty bad step.
    however if they start high and marginally lower, it reflects well from consumers.

Studies released in the U.S over the last 12 months along with sales figures sees a steady shift towards digital distribution with the like sof iTunes and Steam and D2D being pretty succesful, but its not a drastic shift, its a gradual one.

As more and more people move to Digital Dist. we will then start to see drops in price. Digital Dist is risky, its a big change, your asking people to stop the habit and process they have used for over 20 years, to do something entirely new, not everyone will jump ship straight away.

Sure there are still people clinging onto " I love the box" which is by all means fine.

Again its just simple economics.
    If they start at bricks n mortar price and see sales increasing, they know they are onto a winner and can drop prices in the future safely.
    If they start lower and the idea flops, price hikes will be backlashed and the whole thing caves.

I've moved pretty much solely to Digital Distribution, I don't play alot of PC Games outside of WoW and a couple of shooters. But when Blizzard moved to Digital Dist they have been cheaper then retail stores, and Steam Sale drop enough bargains to keep me interested on downtime.

Picked up Crysis and the expansion for €19.99 , at 11pm on Friday night, and was playing it within 30 minutes of purchase. You just dont get that freedom with retail stores.

Plus the whole second hand market stuff disgusts me .

If publishers started at Bricks and Mortar prices or even undercutting them on digital downloads, there is a good chance stores would simply not stock their games, and because Digital retail is not all well established currently, especially in the console gaming market, if your game is not in HMV, Gamestop etc it may as well not exist for the vast majority of consumers.

I actually suspect that the large online retailers such as amazon currently hold at least as much if more influence than high street stores on the pricing of digital downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

People underestimate the power of Gamestop at the moment, they are so big having them pull you game would have dire consequences. Its similar to the way Wall Mart can get bands to change album covers so that they will stock it.

If gamestop makes a billion euro from selling new games that means the publishers and developers made 4 billion from the same games they sold. They are not in a position to piss them off just yet.

I still love to have a box, ive often found games ive downloaded i just dont have the same attachment compared to a game i bought. Silly i know as its the same game you play in the end.

for example ive Beyond good and evil and Stacking downloaded and ive only played the first 10 mins of each same for COD HD and Battlefield 1943. No idea why i dont play them its a weird association i guess.

Hmm it goes a bit of topic, but you know what I love? To buy a pc game on a disc which supports steam. Dow2, cod, fear, etc.

Thay are way more cheaper then steam prices, and you get digital copy and hard copy of the game. In my opinion it's the biggest win.

I love my hard copies too, I love to look at my shelf now and then to see what I was into few years ago.... I love to dig out from bottom of the shelf some old game and fire it up for oneore ass kicking...

So as you see I don't like trading in games. Atleast the ones I really do liked.

As for preordering second hand games, it's just a piss taking amd a good spit in to the faces of developers.

I do buy second hand games sometimes, but I buy only the very old classics I missed on, like for example I grabbed nfs shift and split second yesterday. Happy enought... Those games are oldish now, and you can get brand new ones for pennies online too, but gamestop is not fast to drop theyr prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Is it really any different than asking the guy behind the counter to hold one for you if he gets it in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Is it really any different than asking the guy behind the counter to hold one for you if he gets it in ?

Ha yeah its very different. They are putting particular emphasis on the fact you can preorder preowned, getting the lad behind the desk to hold it was one thing but reserving a copy before its even in store and having them ring you or whatever is a different situation.

The only way id switch to digital distribution is if i was giving something physical to show i owned that game. Custom cards and figures or whatever just something to compensate the fact i dont own a physical copy of the game.

• Advertisement

I do buy second hand games sometimes, but I buy only the very old classics I missed on, like for example I grabbed nfs shift and split second yesterday

one game less than a year old and one less than 2 years old wouldnt constitute very old classics in my book tbf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's no different for the person ordering it, but it's a big difference to both Gamestop and the publisher of the game. 100% of the profits will go to Gamestop if you pre-order a pre-owned game, rather then their rightful cut. Which is exactly why Gamestop are all over this idea. The 2nd hand market nets them a **** ton of cash every year. It's no wonder publishers are going down the Online Code route (which i agree with).

Advertisement