Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking cheap fruit trees

Options
  • 04-03-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if any of the stores are selling cheap dwarf or small fruit trees ?

I've missed out on the end of the ones in Lidl & the Aldi ones are all up to 7.5 metres which is way too tall, ideally looking for up to 3 metres.

I need quite a few to plant a mini orchard, so cant really afford garden centre prices...

If anyone's seen them around, maybe in DIY stores with garden centres, could you let me know please

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

If you're in north-east Cork you should try Dundrum, about 12km past Tipperary town. They do potted dwarf fruit trees for about €12, or €10 if you buy a lot of them.

I think you've left it a bit late to be planting trees. Normally it'd be ok for a few more weeks but spring has sprung early this year.

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can't help you with finding the cheaper fruit trees, but I tend to think that you get what you pay for when buying trees. Would you not buy less and better trees, then maybe add a few more over the next few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

looksee wrote: »
    Can't help you with finding the cheaper fruit trees, but I tend to think that you get what you pay for when buying trees. Would you not buy less and better trees, then maybe add a few more over the next few years?

In fairness I bought a pair of James Grieve apple trees from Lidl in 2009 and got a bumper crop last year - appreciate what you say though

johno2 wrote: »
    If you're in north-east Cork you should try Dundrum, about 12km past Tipperary town. They do potted dwarf fruit trees for about €12, or €10 if you buy a lot of them.

I think you've left it a bit late to be planting trees. Normally it'd be ok for a few more weeks but spring has sprung early this year.

johno

Thanks for that - I know I'm late but will probably just get away with it if I'm quick - I'm South Cork but always willing to drive for a bargain ! Thanks

Someone suggested that I could get away with buying the 7.5m Aldi trees & pruning back each year to limit height - anyone know if the trees would still fruit ? would this work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Apples and pears only fruit on 2 year old wood, never on new growth. I'm not sure about prunus, even though I have a few of them. I think your plan could work in theory but it'll be hassle, and hassle that'll go on for years on end.

johno

johno2 wrote: »
    Apples and pears only fruit on 2 year old wood, never on new growth. I'm not sure about prunus, even though I have a few of them. I think your plan could work in theory but it'll be hassle, and hassle that'll go on for years on end.

johno

Thanks - I'm very late in planting but they're now reduced to €2.99 & would save me a bomb on the amount of them I'm looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Andip wrote: »
    Thanks - I'm very late in planting but they're now reduced to €2.99 & would save me a bomb on the amount of them I'm looking for

Where are the €2.99 fruit trees? Lidl or Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Which store did you see the trees at that price, I bought them a few weeks ago and they were 19.99 each

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Which store did you see the trees at that price, I bought them a few weeks ago and they were 19.99 each

Aldi in Blackrock, Cork - selling them off by the looks of them

• Advertisement
Advertisement