Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Ramps

Options
  • 04-03-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

What are peoples opinion of getting speed ramps in charlesland?
    Am i getting on or is the Grove side becoming a drag strip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

The one thing I do know about speed bumps is that the Fire Brigade hate them. They have to slow down due to the weight of the tenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

No more speed ramps anywhere.
    Theres enough of em already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Bad for your car, bad for fuel economy and a general pain in the ass. They are the most uninnovative and unimaginative way to control speed. We have more then enough around the Greystones / Kilcoole area. No more please !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

OP, alternative approach could be suggested; how's about asking this question:

There are very few (if any) pedestrian/cycle crossing points on the spine road where level threshold table tops allowing child's buggy or people with mobility impairments can cross the road without being impeded.

What's people opinions of providing better pedestrian crossing points?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Well there is one at the entrance to Charlesland - what would be out of hand helpful would be a crossing where the buses stop on the road just outside. Cars tear along there. I'd like to know if there's ever been a plan for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Way to many already. A bloody nuisance too. Anybody notice the 2 more in Kilcoole when they didn't even fix the ones that are in pieces there already? There's 4 now within about 100 metres of each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I believe the builders were supposed to do them as part of traffic calming measures but it never got done or agreed upon by Wicklow co co.

Would probably cost about 100k to do it ourselves I would guess and that's if the planning permission was already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Whether they are bad for fire engine, cars or fuel economy is not important here. I know of at least two dogs killed by cars in Charlesland. In our part of the estate, the kids behave as unpredicably as dogs or more so. As kids do! Every day ,cars are charging up and down the spine. A tragedy is only a matter of time away. Many of these drivers are on Ls or lack driving skill generally. Commonsense has failed to slow them down, so something else has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

A tragedy is only a matter of time away.

I agree, sooner or later some clown is going to hurt some one on that road. we already had that idiot driving into the wall at the Cresent. Over time I think we would all like to see our children playing on that big green space, but it will not be safe with out traffic calming. I live at the very bottom of the grove beside the road and the sound of cars accelerating up the road is pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Alien1977

The biggest hazards are the SUVs (and such) heading to the Creches to collect their little uns after quitin time. I realise their running late but slow the hell down moms and dads.
    Was out walkin with my 1 year old the other day and nearly got flattened by a toe-rag (the VW thingy not the driver), Screechy brakes and all!

Different colour surface has been a successful traffic calming measure in other estates but too late for that now me thinks.
    A few pedestrian crossings at the existing crossings would be a good solution.

• Advertisement

Yep, creche driver behaviour brings out the worst in some people. My kids are safe, eff yours. Double parking, damaging other cars, seen it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

Yep, creche driver behaviour brings out the worst in some people. My kids are safe, eff yours. Double parking, damaging other cars, seen it all.

I agree, there's a creche at the end of my road and the cars come flying round the corner!! and fly down to the creche! It's really crazy.

i think a good option here would be to form a petition and push the county council to implement traffic calming measures.

i think a good option here would be to form a petition and push the county council to implement traffic calming measures.

Why the council? I don't think they are in charge of the Spine road - It's a private estate. In effect it's up to the CORC (or whatever the acronym is) - in other words us....how's the sinking fund doing Matt?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 threetrouts

astrofluff wrote: »
    Why the council? I don't think they are in charge of the Spine road - It's a private estate. In effect it's up to the CORC (or whatever the acronym is) - in other words us....how's the sinking fund doing Matt?.

I think like all other funds its sinking:eek:

I SEE THE MUD BILL (MULTI UNIT DEVELOPMENT BILL) DUE TO COME INTO FORCE SOON REQUIRES EACH UNIT IN A DEVELOPMENT EXISTING OR FUTURE TO CONTRIBUTE 200 TO A SINKING/RESERVE FUND ONE OF THE FEW TERMS THATS RETROSPPECTIVE IN IT.THAT MEANS OUR SAVING ON THE BUS IS WALLOPED WE'LL HAVE TO TURN OFF EVERY SECOND LIGHT IN THE PLACE NEXT:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    and then theres water charges and property tax on the way.Get your scissors out for the grass guys.Ramps are going to be the least of our worries

We already contribute towards a sinking fund in all estates!

Astro if we were to do it ourselves it could cost in excess of 100 to 200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

A couple of stop signs would cost what, 1K?

from my driving experiences this weekend people don't pay attention to stop signs or roundabouts :D:D:D

I agree that this will not be done anytime soon and yes, if the council were in charge, we'd have a better chance of it being completed. The council have stuck pelican and zebra crossings in about 6 different locations in Greystones, I wonder if the town engineer Mr Heslin has a price for one of these?!

from my driving experiences this weekend people don't pay attention to stop signs or roundabouts :D:D:D

They seem to work as a traffic calming and safety measure in thousands of residential communities across North America AND as nearby as the Burnaby.

One would think that some level of enforcement would be required to get the general public to heed them, but I've noticed drivers in the Burnaby do stop or at least slow down to make sure it's safe to continue.

It seems ludicrous to spend 100K to get drivers to slow down, but it should not be an option to simply ignore the unsafe driving outside our doors.

• Advertisement

see the difference in the burnaby is that if they don't stop at those junctions completly with visability there is a massive chance that youll crash.

in charlesland at the junctions there is good visability. also there is a stop sign painted on the road i believe, if not the roads are painted with a stop indicator (line)

i think at this stage noone seems to adhere to any rules in the estate whether is be parking, speeding, using communal bins, grafitti and the list is ongoing.

perhaps complaints to the gardai about offending cars might do something. although they can't prosicute for speeding because its private property or issue parking fines they can however knock on someone's dooe which might be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Actually from personal experience :o I know that when it relates to the road traffic act Charlesland is not private. I did try to appeal a fine on that basis for an untaxed vehicle parked for a while but to no avail - still had to pay...

They seem to work as a traffic calming and safety measure in thousands of residential communities across North America AND as nearby as the Burnaby.

One would think that some level of enforcement would be required to get the general public to heed them, but I've noticed drivers in the Burnaby do stop or at least slow down to make sure it's safe to continue.

It seems ludicrous to spend 100K to get drivers to slow down, but it should not be an option to simply ignore the unsafe driving outside our doors.
    Point 1, people do not slow down in the Burnaby. There are few kids in there so while it is a problem, it is not as potentially serious.
    Point 2, 100k is a small ammount. A road fatality costs roughly a million in terms of emergency, reports, police DPP, courts, inquest. Take your pick while you can, because for someone, it will not be a choice.

Didn't mean to imply the cost of a life l-- in any sense -- was less than 100K! I just think with some creativity applied, a solution should be able to be found without bankrupting the residents associations. I live two-thirds of the way up the spine road and I hear cars still accelerating toward the Crescent with only one-third of the way left to go. Some sort of yield or stop sign at the half-way point would not stop all speeders but it would reduce the number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Speed ramps are in reality of little benefit, people will simply speed back up to the limit in-between anyway. No real risk reduction apart from right at the ramps themselves.

They also increase CO2 from cars, cause greater wear on parts, can damage wheels and suspension, make the road unsuitable for fire engines and other heavy vehicles and generally annoy people. They are a poor solution in general.

What about one of those signs that shows back your speed and turns red if over limit and then flashes... Highly visual impact on people

(As for the dogs being killed, if the owners had them under control like they are supposed to it wouldn't have happened)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

As a driver I don't care for speed ramps but they are very effective. There are some pretty aspirational suggestions made here but if we want to minimise the liklihood of a fatality we need to reduce the speed of the cars. speed ramps are the answer imo. Cameras and signage are only going to work on people who aren't the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

How many fatalities have we had..... None...

So then why the need for all this....? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the children Joe, think of the children...

:rolleyes:

How many fatalities have we had..... None...

Perhaps prevention is better than cure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Not to make light of a serious issue.......but i had a flash image in my head........what about FF representives, developers and bankers lying in the road and being used as speed bumps?

Effective and satisfing all at the same time.

....I'll get my coat.:)

Advertisement