Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky's new HD box.

• 04-03-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

Sky are launching a new HD box for multiroom,it's replacing the standard box and will give access to fta HD channels or can be used to view the HD pack (extra subscription required)

skyhdboxsmall.jpg

It isn't a pvr like the Sky+ box,simply put Sky are doing away with standard def only boxes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think in Medium term sky will replace all non-HD boxes and move to 100% MPEG4 (for all SD too)for all pay TV and DVB-S2 for all PayTV only transponders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The old boxes cant handle any more channels on the EPG also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

irishgeo wrote: »
    The old boxes cant handle any more channels on the EPG also.

I've tried to explain that to people before-may as well have been speaking Swahili to them.Some people fear change,I think the new box is a great idea plus it saves having to fork out a fortune if you want to access HD channels while having Sky multiroom as before you had to buy a second Sky+HD box which direct from Sky cost €199.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does this mean if i have a HD sub and get this box for the multiroom i will have ALL HD channels.

Will i have to pay for a second HD sub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

this is fantastic news, any1 got ne idea WHEN this box is likely to ship as Im just about to order a multiroom sub for a mate but would hang off if it was soon....

• Advertisement

steveon wrote: »
    this is fantastic news, any1 got ne idea WHEN this box is likely to ship as Im just about to order a multiroom sub for a mate but would hang off if it was soon....

From middle of the month,hold off til then.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Great stuff Zerks thanks a million for the excellent news and advice appreciate it...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, from the 15th to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

if i tell sky my standard plus box is packing in, which it is, will they replace it with a new hd box? will that also get the hd channels as well, as we have the hd sub for the other box

Hogzy wrote: »
    Does this mean if i have a HD sub and get this box for the multiroom i will have ALL HD channels.

Will i have to pay for a second HD sub?

As I stated in my original post-it will pick up the FTA HD channels and an extra HD sub is needed to view the HD Pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

zerks wrote: »
    As I stated in my original post-it will pick up the FTA HD channels and an extra HD sub is needed to view the HD Pack

Sorry couldnt hear you... What?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Sorry couldnt hear you... What?

Post wasn't aimed at you specifically,just used yours as an example of people not reading the thread properly and asking questions that had already been answered.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It will be interesting to see how this works functionality wise. Will it work the same as a Sky+HD box, just without the PVR functions?

I would assume it will have just one tuner on board and so require a single cable run. The new HD EPG relies on having two cable runs and also makes use of the hard drive for caching the full 7 days worth of listings.

Kensington wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how this works functionality wise. Will it work the same as a Sky+HD box, just without the PVR functions?

I would assume it will have just one tuner on board and so require a single cable run. The new HD EPG relies on having two cable runs and also makes use of the hard drive for caching the full 7 days worth of listings.

Direct from Sky:
    * It is a new and affordable low price option for HD in a second room, without having to take a second Sky+HD box at EUR199
    * It’s HD Ready with 47 HD Channels available depending on the Sky TV package.
    * Sky HD offers something for all the family and with the new SkyHD Box, customers can enjoy the Sky HD TV they love in more than one room.
    * It is only EUR15 extra per HD subscription a month
    * It has the new HD TV Sky Guide allowing customers to browse what’s on whilst at the same time continuing to watch their current programme in the mini-screen.
    * It’s smaller with a new, sleek, modern design and high gloss finish which can be stored vertically or horizontally in the home – making it more versatile than ever before.

Please note:

* The new SkyHD box is not a PVR. It does not have a hard disk drive or Sky+ functionality
    * Sky Anytime and recording functionality is not available.
    * The planner function will however allow customers to set reminders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Reading the thread on digitalspy about this, it wont work with magic eyes it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

was just wondering if you already have a standard sky box (no multiroom, sky+ or HD) would it be possible to get this box? I have HD tv so getting the FTA HD channels would be nice!

Magic eyes was for the analogue Era and single expensive Digital box.

No point if you have Digital on Every TV.
    Also no HD, Stereo or quality via RF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

watty wrote: »

well, quality is just fine for me as it is on my magic eye.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

* It is only EUR15 extra per HD subscription a month

So.. if somebody has a Sky+HD box, and this new SkyHD box, they'd be paying their €15 Multiroom fee, PLUS €15 for the +HD and an additional €15 for the standard HD box? Making €45 before your package subscription is considered?

(assuming of course they want the pay-tv HD channels)

byte wrote: »
    So.. if somebody has a Sky+HD box, and this new SkyHD box, they'd be paying their €15 Multiroom fee, PLUS €15 for the +HD and an additional €15 for the standard HD box? Making €45 before your package subscription is considered?

That's the case if you want the HD pack on both tv's,expensive before you even factor in the price of any packages.But that was always the case with HD,it's a seperate sub for each room:(.
    I reckon most people will be happy with the fta HD channels on the second box.

Another thing-will the EPG be crippled on it in the same way as the +box?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If you currently have a multiroom subscription with the SD box do you get this box then as a free upgrade ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

hellboy99 wrote: »
    If you currently have a multiroom subscription with the SD box do you get this box then as a free upgrade ?

No. New multiroom installs only.

Launch of new box delayed until the 16th.I bet there's somebody on digitalspy ranting and raving over having to wait 1 whole day to order the new box.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

byte wrote: »

Yes, that is what I have - 2 Sky HD boxes with HD pack on both boxes. Our monthly sub. is €96 per mth :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Installed 3 of these this week so far.
    Compact little unit,just a little bit bigger than a normal fta receiver.
    No rf out, optical or audio.
    Front panel has power, ch up and down, back up button only.
    Call backs are faster as there's no channel scan, box calls back straight away after you've confirmed you're connected to dish etc....
    Adding extra channels is a pain if you've become speedy on the menu on the current Sky+ HD. When you input your values, hit yellow and store, the menu reverts back to its default values and you have to input all the data again, instead of holding what you've just inputted so you just have to re enter the 5 digit sequence...
    It comes with a normal Sky+ HD remote, colour coded HDMI lead and power supply.
    As its using the HD remote, its going to be a pain for anyone that has or wants the Sky+HD and multi room box in one location as the remote signals will conflict and operate both boxes, if you're using them with remote extenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I use the magic eye as I have my box stored away and the magic eye lets me change channels. Have a HDMI cable ran from the box to the TV, so the eye is purely used so that i don't have to have the box exposed.

Will this box allow this?

no
    It has no RF out or Magic eye socket.

But you can get a Triax adaptor that works ANYTHING, by simply having a box with an IR LED to drive the IR sensor on the set-box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

no
    It has no RF out or Magic eye socket.

But you can get a Triax adaptor that works ANYTHING, by simply having a box with an IR LED to drive the IR sensor on the set-box.
    Excellent, are these expensive, whats the full name for them so i can do some googling?

Have a FTA set top box in another room and this would be ideal.

Advertisement