Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Cat - Info inside

• 04-03-2011 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hey there. I'm worried to death about my cat, she has horrible stinky breath, black crust on her chin, is constantly sneezing and has a runny nose. Her appetite is frquent yet she has lost a great amount of weight in a small time period. Her fur also looks kind of like something isn't right and when I cleaner her eye today with a damp tissue some brown residue came off.

I'm just curious as to how much bringing her to a vet will be etc because thankfully I have never had to before. My mam keeps saying she's fine but I know she is just brushing it off and I can't sit and do nothing as she gets worse.. The thing is I am not sure if I can even afford the amount it takes to bring her to my local vet, would it be odd for a new customer to ask for a payment plan? Sorry for the length.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

which means the cat has had no vaccinations?
    No-one can tell you how much, because it depends on what's wrong. Call around and ask how much a consultation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Sounds awful OP..breath smell is probably down to gingivitis, are the gums red?
    Sounds like her immune system is taking a pounding especially if there were no vaccinations.
    Im afraid you have no alternative but to take her to the vet, but phone around and get the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Resi12 does sound like you cat really needs to see a vet. If you call them and ask for the cost of a consult. Then you at least will know what is wrong and they can give you a cost on treating it and you can also discuss payment plan with them.
    Do phone around though as vet consult prices differ.

If you cant afford the vet treatment then you really do have to ask yourself if it is fair to keep her. Not nice I know but it is somethign that all pet owners have to think of as we are ultimately responsible for our pets care.
    Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

The black crust on her chin is called cat acne. My lad used to have this and cleared after a few weeks when I changed to better food quality. I was using a cheap Lidl brand. Vet said if it got really bad he could treat with cream/tablets but thankfully I didn't need to. Food quality might explain smelly breath too.

As above replies cat really needs to see a vet. Hope you can sort something out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Once you get this sorted out it could be an idea to look into pet insurance.
    I have a premium policy for my lad and it's only €7 a month. Excess is €90 per condition per year. This could save you a lot of money and heartache in the future!

You really should check if your vets might offer a payment plan for you to get your cat vaccinated too; about €120 would cover against cat flu, enterovirus and felv and would be well worth the cash if you could manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

No, she has had vaccinations and such before (neutered etc) but my mam paid for them since I was like 13 or 14.

Now my mam is kind of passing it off (maybe due to us not having as much money as then or down to the fact my cat is older) but I'm just worried and have never taken her to the vet solely before and thus why I asked. Thanks guys, I'll head over the the one near me today and ask. I hope I can get her in, she's my first/childhood pet, I won't see to it of doing nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Ah, ok. I think we all took it she'd never been to the vet before as you were enquiring about cost!
    If her vaccinations are up-to-date at least that more than likely rules out anything like cat flu and FELV. I really hope you can get her seen for not too much, it's great that you're responsible enough to take her even when your Mam is reluctant; well done!
    Keep us posted on her progress!

Advertisement