Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DirectX

Options
  • 04-03-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a fairly fancy computer with a good PGU (GTX 460) running XP. I realised that I'm running DirectX 9.0c. I figure if I'm playing games like Bad Company 2 I'm not utilising the card's capabilities. IS this correct?

Does anyone have a reliable link to a DX10.1 download site (DX11 isn't compatible with XP, right?)? I've looked on the Microsoft website and I can't find anything and I'm a little confused if this is what I'm looking for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

XP only supports up to DX9c. If you want to go to 10 and beyond, you need to at least get Vista. If youre into the trouble, just get 7.

the card is still using its pipelines and all that in dx9 - it's just got plenty more headroom to do stuff that it isn't doing currently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLqgcetMRK8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Win7 is on the cards somewhere in the near future. I figure after about 7 years XP owes me nothing.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There is a hacked version of DX10 for XP but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Win7 is the way to, it's a far superior OS. It's also less power hungry than XP so think of it as a green investment that'll pay for itself over time in ESB bills.

Advertisement