Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing parts Q's

Options
  • 04-03-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

my brother just got a .223 remington and is wondering about the legality/importing of parts like match triggers,barrels and actions and so on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Anything that is necessary for the operation of the firearm is deemed a componant part and requires licenses/authorisation to import. Possibly even to go through a dealer.

These would be but not limited to:
    • Barrel
    • Trigger
    • Stock
    • Action
    • Bolt
    Most of these parts can be gotten here, but others can be imported by a gunsmith/rifle builder or gun dealer with little to no fuss.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

cheers ill let him know

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

A few companies will export stocks and triggers from the US
    direct to you.
    boyds gunstocks and rifle basix triggers are two that I purchased from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

my brother just got a .223 remington and is wondering about the legality/importing of parts like match triggers,barrels and actions and so on

Why did he buy one if he's going to build one??:D

haha i think its for in the future if he wants to improve the gun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Yeah, we call them classic remmy's :D

Savage93 wrote: »
    Why did he buy one if he's going to build one??:D

On a serious note i can understand why he would buy a rifle then buy the parts to improve it.

Some rifles can be bought cheaper than or for the same price as an action. So while you wait to get money together for the build you can still be shooting away with your factory rifle.

I done it with my Savage. Shot away at the targets, then when i had the money, bought the gear and had it re-built.

Some companies will still export and thats all well and good, but irrespective of whether they do export or not you will need the proper documantation for the parts otherwise you face loosing them or worse.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Yeah, we call them classic remmy's :D

ha its not an old one its a vsf with a hs percision stock and ase mod looks brand new and shoots well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 AKA_MADNESS

I agree with everything said. It is a cheaper option to buy bits and pieces yourself. I've done it myself.

Here's a question someone might answer with knowledge...If for arguement sake you arranged to buy a spare barrel from abroad, pre stamped with your License number on it. Would you need special permission to import? or could it be legally imported against your FAL?

Would you need special permission to import? or could it be legally imported against your FAL?

As i understand it, you can have spare/multiple barrels for your rifle as long as they are of the same caliber. importing will require the usual paperwork (article 7, import license from DOJ, and more than likely for it to be done through an RFD).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 AKA_MADNESS

Ezridax wrote: »
    As i understand it, you can have spare/multiple barrels for your rifle as long as they are of the same caliber. importing will require the usual paperwork (article 7, import license from DOJ, and more than likely for it to be done through an RFD).

Thats what I thought. Thank you.

Advertisement