Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EY V PWC

• 04-03-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just got offered an internship in EY, also offered PwC so just wondering if anyone knows what either of these(particularly EY) is like to work for?
    All advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Can't say re internships but there are many threads re comparison of big 4 on graduate jobs...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056090109

Some mixed feelings re E&Y but don't know whether this would impact an internship. Search the forum and you may find more...

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

KPMG and PwC are the biggest and have the best reputation when it comes to audit in Ireland. I'd take PwC over E&Y.

I also hear that E&Y have some odd overtime policy, in that you don't get time of in lieu or get paid for it. Which is a big drawback given the stellar salaries that trainee accountants are accustomed to these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 It Balanced!

I've heard that E+Y and Deloitte have a more relaxed atmosphere than PwC.
    Anyone know if there's truth behind this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

Im working in EY now, no OT or time off. Environment is relaxed in my opinion.

If u have options id choose based on location, money and overtime policy. time off in lieu willo help come exam time. i wudnt consider the fact one big 4 company is much bigger than the other as a reason to choose one, once u have big 4 on your cv then its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

How much do you get paid at these places? I'm especially interested in salaries at PWC and Deloitte since I have applied there (not for audit division, but I imagine salaries are pretty much the same over the board).

I know internships are for the experience, I'm just curious. If anyone could give me a number for either the total pay (over the summer) or the hourly/weekly pay, I'd be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 It Balanced!

Da GOAT wrote: »
    Im working in EY now, no OT or time off. Environment is relaxed in my opinion.

If u have options id choose based on location, money and overtime policy. time off in lieu willo help come exam time. i wudnt consider the fact one big 4 company is much bigger than the other as a reason to choose one, once u have big 4 on your cv then its all good.

Thanks for the reply. By location do you mean cheapest ? As in, with one of the companies I could live at home, for the rest I'd have to move to Dublin. Would the opportunities in Dublin not be better? Like the types of companies you'd be working with etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

I work in EY, and I have to say the atmosphere is in general quite relaxed. I cant say firsthand what the atmosphere is like in PWC, but I hear there is more pressure on people there. That said there is no compensation for overtime at all in EY, ie no pay or time in lieu, which PWC do have. We work long hours, but in PWC you will do the same. At the end of the day you will get a similar experience out of both so I would just make your decision on wherever you got the better vibe from in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

thisguy wrote: »
    I work in EY, and I have to say the atmosphere is in general quite relaxed. I cant say firsthand what the atmosphere is like in PWC, but I hear there is more pressure on people there. That said there is no compensation for overtime at all in EY, ie no pay or time in lieu, which PWC do have. We work long hours, but in PWC you will do the same. At the end of the day you will get a similar experience out of both so I would just make your decision on wherever you got the better vibe from in the interview.

this guy i hear ye e & y staff have a rep for going to diceys on thur nites. also ringing in sick on the morning the day before an exam. any truth in this rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

jdooley28 wrote: »
    this guy i hear ye e & y staff have a rep for going to diceys on thur nites. also ringing in sick on the morning the day before an exam. any truth in this rumour?

All accountants go to Diceys on a Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

jdooley28 wrote: »

Dont always believe what you hear. Although in this case you probably should. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

haha, postin at 12.10 when ur meant to be at work! suppose your off paddys day while the rest of the office slaves away

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kitkat45

Thanks for the replies guys!! Ended up going for neither of them in the end Deloitte called the next day and accepted them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pippa123

I am in the same position and wondering if anything has changed in the last few years. All advice appreciated.

Advertisement