Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Physics

• 04-03-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Ok so I love Physics but I hate the electricity chapters. It makes no sense to me! Does anybody know the break down of the long questions (ie. how many questions from each section) and whether or not it would be possible to avoid electricity (with the exception of Experiments and Q5s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anonomousangel

I do physics myself, and I find the electricity section to be totally awful. I went from an A1 average to a C as soon as we started doing it. I just did my mocks, and I know there was one guy in my class who did the entire paper without touching electricity at all... but I don't know if that's possible for every paper or if it's just how the mock panned out... but obviously if you were hoping to cut out an entire section like that you'd need to be rock solid in everything else to make sure it doesn't backfire on you...

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Ok so I love Physics but I hate the electricity chapters. It makes no sense to me! Does anybody know the break down of the long questions (ie. how many questions from each section) and whether or not it would be possible to avoid electricity (with the exception of Experiments and Q5s)

Tis possible to avoid electricity but it's very risky! I left out ALL the electricity chapters in my revision when I did the exam first in 2009 (10 chapters I think?) , but ended up doing the electricity question (Q9) on the day cause it was a doss , it was my best mark in the paper too! I ended up with a B2 after that paper which is a good enough grade I guess!

It's risky cause I think there was a paper one year where like 40% of the questions were electricity based and you couldn't really avoid it unless you knew everything else inside out! I included electricity in my revision last year but didn't actually do the electrity Q as far as I remember , and got a A2 !

And well it's usually question 9 that is an electricity Q but could be question 11 also, and of course 10 B).

In summary, it's very possible, but make sure you know everything else inside out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Learn the experiments really well. But other than that I'm pretty sure you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

As a physics teacher, I say you can leave out electricity if you're going for a B1. But as said above, it's very risky because you're denying yourself all the lovely choice on the leaving cert paper, and very often, the electricity questions are the easiest on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Pretty risky to leave it out - it's often one of the most straight forward questions, and the more topics you study the better chance you have of avoiding potentially troublesome questions in other sections - you want to have as much choice as possible going into the exam.

For the mocks I didn't get a chance to revise electricity properly, and I ended up getting 56/56 in the electricity question, so they can be relatively straight forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement